This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, April 30, 2022

ZOUNDS! We've Reached the End! ( #AtoZChallenge )

       Zounds!  Here we are at the end of another great Blogging from A to Z April Challenge and I'll count my 13th effort an absolute success.  There was a lot of work, but well worth it rediscovering some of the great music that I have collected over the years.  So let's get on with the often dreaded letter Z.


#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter     Not much to see for the letter Z, but more than one might have expected.  Never got rid of any Z albums, but I never had many to begin with.  What I had, I kept. Here are my Z's...


Links to the music are included throughout the post if you want to hear the music.





Zoo (1969)  This album stood out and announced itself to me from some forgotten cut-out bin.  Big black letters on a bright orange background with the simple proclamation "ZOO".  And it was less than a dollar so why not?  Then there is the violin player in the band.  If you've been reading my posts you know what that means, but just in case I'll mention that I play violin so I'm always interested in any album featuring a violinist.  The rocked out electric violin is just one bonus feature of this little known (in the U.S.A.) French group.  They've got a big brassy horn section as well as a powerhouse rock singer who is a match for a singer like David Clayton Thomas of Blood Sweat & Tears.  The album rocks with tasty jazz overtones and the songs are downright funky good.  You won't see this album many places, but you will find it in my collection.





The Zombies   "Odyssey & Oracle" (1968)  Wrapping up my theme of "My Vinyl Collection" it seems appropriate to close with one of the best rock albums of any of the British Invasion groups of the sixties.  This album is a musical fireworks display of eclectic pop rock psychedelic fusion.  Lovely songs that evoke memory of  a sweet past and a hopeful future are found throughout this album.  Then there's that great Zombies hit "Time of the Season".   If you're looking for rock music with melody, heart, and intellect then look no further than this one.  Since I was a Zombies fan from the beginning, this album was a delightful find in one of my cut-out bin explorations.  I  would have bought it at full price, but the bargain was a pleasant bonus.  If you've never heard this album and love music of all kinds, do yourself a favor and give it a listen.  Maybe you'll end up loving it as much as I do.

      
          And so my A to Z Challenge series closes for another April.  These are posts that I'll return to frequently just to click on the great music links.  It was fun for me to go back to listen to these albums. I hope you enjoyed this journey as much as I enjoyed compiling it.  I'll have to admit that I have a darn good collection of music on vinyl.  Maybe I'll eventually have to dig into the treasure troves of my cassette and CD collections which are far bigger than my vinyl collection.  Whoa!  Talk about epic!  That might be overwhelming.  But it might be well worth the effort.  What do you think?


       Did you know any of the Z albums?   Do you listen much to groups from countries other than your own?    What are some Z artists that you can name?









28 comments:

  1. Jamie here:

    I was expecting to see ZZ Top. Not one of my favorites, but one of the first artists that come to mind under Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, ZZ Top would have been a good choice except that I don't think I have their albums in any format and can't remember ever having any. I like them, but I was just never motivated to spend money on their music.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I discovered so much music thanks to your blog! Thank you for the challenge, organising it, managing it and everything you've shared about music.

    Dropping by from https://momandideas.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, I've always enjoyed sharing the music I enjoy listening to. Sharing is one of the best parts of A to Z and blogging in general.

      Thanks for being a part of the 2022 A to Z Challenge!

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Other than The Zombies I can only really think of ZZ Top.
    However, ZTT is a record label in the UK most famous for Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

    You've inspired me for next year's A2Z in which I will be stealing your theme ;)

    Visiting from Facing The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facing, not too many in the Zs, but that is the case for just about any A to Z theme. I hope you and others do use this theme about record collections or whatever other collections they might have. It's a great way to learn about the other bloggers as well as get educated on things not previously known.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Zoo is really good. I had not known them, though I'd heard the name. I hear some of those lovely violins in the music, too!

    In the Z's of my album collection I have ZZ Top's first album and Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy" album.

    Congratulations, Lee!! A very entertaining A-Z (or ZZ) blogfest!

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, the violinist in Zoo really rocks! The whole band does in fact.

      Zevon is a good choice. I don't have any of his music anywhere in my collection. I was never drawn to his music.

      I'd enjoy seeing an entire blogfest about the music collections other people have. If I visit someone else's house I will typically gravitate toward their music and book shelves. It's just something I've always done.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Always loved "Time of the Season" Hadn't heard of Zoo before. Music from other countries? Santana and U2 come to mind. Other Zs in my world are ZZ Top and Zevon. Congratulations on acing another challenge! I enjoyed;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, "Time of the Season" is a wonderful song and there are some real gems on the rest of the album. I think this album will be appreciated for years to come.

      I wouldn't consider Santana to be from another country even though Carlos was born in Mexico. They are definitely appreciated by a worldwide audience and their music has international appeal.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Oh, yeah, ZEVON would be the big (and only?) Z in my music collection. I have always appreciated his weird, sarcastic, cynical, dark humor. I have that same streak in my personality.

      "And if California slides into the ocean
      Like the mystics and statistics say it will
      I predict this motel will be standing
      Until I pay my bill"


      ~ D-FensDogG
      (All the salty Margaritas in Los Angeles,
      I'm gonna drink 'em up.
      )

      Delete
    3. STMcC, I never heard much by Zevon so I never got into his music. I don't think he was listened to by many in my circle of friends. I would probably appreciate him more now.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I'm familiar with The Zombies, but not Zoo. About the only other Z artist I can come up with is ZZ Top. Oh, and Sy Zentner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, the Zoo album is a good one especially for those who like groups like Chicago. Zentner is a new name to me.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Craig here.

    Nothing to add to the Zs. I just wanted to thank you for putting so much effort into this month. Appreciate it and it was nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, thank you for supporting my posts. Without comments this wouldn't be as enjoyable. Good to meet you and hope to hear from you more in the future. By the way, tomorrow I'll have a Battle of the Bands post which you might enjoy voting on.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Well I am a HUGE Frank Zappa fan. So I have that going for me.
    Congrats on finishing another challenge! This one was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, I like Zappa's music as well. Now I have several of his albums on CD. Once long ago I had Zappa's Burnt Weenie Sandwich on 8 track cartridge. I listened to that one a lot.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I'd love to add some Zombies albums to my collection. They're yet another band I wish had more than a few songs in regular rotation on oldies radio.

    Congratulations on finishing the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, The Zombies had an interesting sound and put out some fine albums. Thanks for your participation and your visits to my blog.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the great month of music, Lee. I've enjoyed these posts so much..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I have really enjoyed sharing some of my music collection. Thanks for your support along the way.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Might have to check out Zoo! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I don't know if they recorded anything else, but I think this album is a strong one.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I definitely remember The Zombies! Congrats Arlee on completion of your 13th A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Scott, thank you so much! This was a good Challenge for me and provided some great music memories that I was happy to share.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Your theme was very unique and required a lot of organizing on your part to put it together! Well done for another year!! Thanks for all your organizing of the event too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I was so happy I did all my A to Z work in Feb and March so I was able to better enjoy the April Challenge. Thanks for being a part of another successful event.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee