This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, April 2, 2022

Beat Goes On... ( #AtoZChallenge )

 

       Big deal--so I got rid of a bunch of my vinyl records.  In a way I wish I hadn't, but sometimes we just do things that we somewhat regret later.  My blogging theme for 2022 A to Z is "My Vinyl Collection"--what remains of it.  There's still some good stuff here.  Wanna take a look?




#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter        I sold off many of my albums in two waves.  The first wave was around 1990 when I made up a catalog of all of my record collection and put an advertisement in Rolling Stone magazine selling the catalog for $3.  I didn't sell anywhere near the number of catalogs that I figured that I would, but of those that I sold I managed to get some customers who bought that first wave of albums that I had decided to liquidate.  Some of the earliest to go were my Beatles, Beach Boys, and Badfinger--albums that I treasured, but at the time the money seemed more important.  I later replaced several of those vinyls with CD versions.  The tangible memories were gone, but at least I had most of the music again.

        In 2014 I put up an ad on Craigslist in order to sell more vinyl LPs.  I boxed up 200 records and kept the remaining 300 or so.  There were some excellent albums in that 200 and I'm not sure what exactly I was thinking other than the ones that remained were ones that I felt a strong need to keep in my collection.  In that batch that I sold were all of my Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms albums--since I had them on CD I felt like those records could go.  There was a collectible David Bowie bootleg concert album that I probably should have kept.  I don't recall off hand if there were any other records in the B category, but there were albums that I somewhat wish I had kept.  But it's only stuff.  I was getting rid of stuff.  I'm always thinking about stuff I can get rid of.  At least I did keep a few of my B albums, a sampling of which follows...





   The Band "Music from Big Pink"  (1968)   My mother bought this album for me as a Christmas present in 1968.  I had seen it while perusing the albums at the small record department at my local J C Penney's store in Maryville TN.  There weren't many stores in town that had very big selections of music, but Penney's had a respectable small selection which included major current releases.  When I saw this album by The Band I didn't know anything about it or the group, but it seemed so mysterious that I figured it must be good.  I guess sometimes you can judge an album by its cover.  This is one of the best rock and roll albums of all time.  That's not just me saying that either--many critics have agreed.  This was an album I felt I had to keep in my collection.


Leonard Bernstein "Mass" (1971)  My mother gave me this boxed album set for Christmas of 1971.  I was attending University of Tennessee in Knoxville at the time and had read about this Bernstein musical production.  It was controversial at the time because of potential subversive messages in the musical.  From what I read about Mass I was put in mind of Jesus Christ Superstar which I already owned and liked a great deal.  Without knowing about the actual musical content I put it on my Christmas list for my mother.  It was a somewhat expensive box set that I didn't want to spend my meager funds on, but my mother was happy to buy it for me as a gift.  It's an interesting work of music, not Bernstein's best, but decent listening nevertheless.  Not that I've listened to it as many times as something like Music from Big Pink, but an album that provided me a number of hours of listening pleasure.


Dave Brubeck "In Amsterdam"  (1969)  The Allmusic web site calls this album "a bit of a collector's item" so I guess it was a good call for me to keep it.  I don't exactly recall how I came upon this album, but it was a cut-out that I quite possibly got from a mail clearance catalog that I used to get frequently in the mail.  Or I might have got it from someplace like the University of Tennessee bookstore.  At the time I certainly had an awareness of who Brubeck was and had some knowledge of his music so I figured the album was worth spending a pittance on.  This is a fantastic album of a 1962 concert.  I figure you can't go wrong with Dave Brubeck and this album is proof.  


J D Blackfoot "The Ultimate Prophecy"  (1970)  I can't say for sure, but I think I may have discovered this album in the cutout bin at the old Atlantic Mills discount store in Knoxville TN.  I know I found a number of interesting records at that strange store, a hodgepodge of values and closeouts contained in what had been some kind of old textile factory.  No matter where I found this record I'm sure glad that I did.  The band included Craig Fuller who later went on to found the country rock group Pure Prairie League and his song "Angel" has its first appearance on this Blackfoot album.  There are similarities to Pure Prairie League and well as Creedence Clearwater Revival and others.  The tour de force of this album is the rock epic "Ultimate Prophecy" suite which takes up all of side two.  The album title was likely what inspired me to buy this album.  I'm glad I did.  I have listened to this album many, many, and many times.


Buckwheat "Hot Tracks"  (1973)  This is a solid collection of funky, country, roots rock.  No specific personal memories that I can connect with this album.  I think I bought it at some discount book store in West Knoxville in the late eighties.  I probably saw the credits that included a violin player--that always catches my attention.  And then there's that cover illustration.  It's no whipped cream covered woman, but, heck, a stack of pancakes dripping with syrup--what's not to like about that?  The music matches those pancakes.


The Baroques  "The Baroques" (1967)  I picked this up from some cutout bin--possibly at the sprawling Green Acres discount store on Alcoa Highway in Louisville TN.  The store was only open for a few years and eventually became what it is today--a giant flea market.  Back in the discount store days they carried a lot of cutout records for $1 or less.  I bought a lot of unusual records there.  Listening to this album years later has made me reevaluate it.  Years ago I would have said it was among the worst records I have heard.  And it is a bit odd, but really it is a psychedelic artifact of its time.  And I do like psychedelic music.  And I like harpsichord and baroque style.  Now the music sounds better to me. Not great, but interesting and listenable.  Originally the group called itself  The Complete Unknowns.  They may have changed their name, but they have remained relatively unknown.  To their credit. they have managed to become a bit more appreciated by others like me who like this style of music. This album was repackaged in a compilation album in the nineties as the band experienced a mild resurgence of interest in their music.  Nostalgia perhaps?  Nevertheless the band remains fairly unknown.



Do you recognize any of these albums?   Did you buy many albums from the cutout bins?  Have you been gifted many record albums?  






52 comments:

  1. I grew up listening to all my parents vinyl and one of my favourites was Jesus Christ Superstar, but I have not heard Mass. These days I am the keeper of the vinyl and have what is left of their collection and my sister's and mine in the back room. We have more space at our house ;)
    Best wishes,
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings: YouTube - What They Don't Tell You (and free fiction)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha, "Mass" is more operatic and classical sounding than "JC Superstar" so it might not appeal to those who don't like that sort of music.

      All families need a "Keeper of the vinyl" like yours has. There is so much history in the music we have accumulated both from the personal standpoint and in relation to society. Take care of your music!

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I well remember Dave Brubeck and of course David Bowie, but as a very young girl played much Beethoven on the piano.
    Great "B" post Lee.
    ps: saw Marley on You Tube yesterday.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, Beethoven is a good musical foundation to have. Thanks for continuing to support Marley's efforts.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. JD Blackfoot, The Baroques and Buckwheat--all new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, these are probably "new" to most people. They are pretty obscure like many of the albums I will be featuring in April.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I don't recognize any of them. Course I was a bit more interested in other things at the time. I only remember those songs that friends played a lot. My family was country. I could probably name quite a few of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mildred, not everyone pursues a deep interest in music like I have. It was a nice solitary pursuit for me since I enjoy such things. Most of my family listens to country now, but they didn't always. Even a couple of my daughters in their 30s tend to listen mostly to country. I like it too.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I don't have any vinyl records. I'm just not big on hanging on to many things. I did buy a record as a gift. None of these though.

    I'm doing the #AtoZChallenge - writing a speculative fiction short story.
    On the main A to Z site today for "B" I shared a list of books. I love it!
    At Operation Awesome we're doing the A to Z Challenge and running a survey to pick the next Pass or Pages query contest genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J, I'm kind of a hoarder though my hoarding isn't out of hand like on the TV show. If you had bought any of my B albums as a gift I would have been very surprised.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Parting with vinyl albums is hard but if you acquire too many of them you might just have to reinforce your floors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liam, so far my floors are safe. I doubt that I'll ever accumulate that many to fear collapsing my floors.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Don't know any of these but you are making me want to go out and go through ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I'd been wanting to go through my albums for a while so this was a good thing to do. I encourage you to look at yours. Maybe you'll want to sell yours--or save them.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! You really got the memories flooding my mind now. I too was a discount bin shopper. Unfortunately my vinyl collection is long gone so I'm familiar with the whole "It's just stuff" vs. "the tinge of regret" that comes with not having that stuff any more. What a great theme, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, the stuff debate is ongoing. There are many advantages to being unencumbered, but regret can have its own encumberment.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Love, love, LOVE Big Pink.
    Have you happened to see The Band doc, "Once Were Brothers..." on Hulu? Very poignant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, "Big Pink" is one of the all-time classics of rock.
      I have not seen that documentary, but I'd like to. "Last Waltz" was a good documentary concert film about the Band.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Sorry, the artists are not familiar. But, vinyls! We hoisted boxes of our collection for years, but had to give them away. One gr-daughter now collects them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan K, you're probably going to find a lot of unfamiliar artists in my collection.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Nice to visit you again! It's been a while! My mom actually gave me all of her old vinyls, and I have all of mine from when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sand&Snow, yes it has been a while! I don't think my parents' vinyls were cared for that well. I which I had been a custodian of those albums.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. That Buckwheat album cover is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Dave Brubeck! We have a box of albums in the back of a closet where they have sat since we moved into our house 23 years ago. I have no idea what's in it, but it will be a real time capsule when we someday pull it out and open it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyanne, Brubeck has some great albums out. I have some on cassette and CD in addition to my one vinyl. I'd love to be able to dig through that box of albums. When I visit someone's house I'm always keenly interested if they have music or books on display.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. I'll let you know when I get motivated enough to look through it!

      Delete
  14. I dont know much about music but I heard only beatles. VINYL - wow never saw one. You took me to a different era. Have a great april

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afshan, The Beatles have become so ingrained in the music throughout the world that it's hard to miss their music. Never saw a vinyl record? Maybe you did and don't remember? But I'm sure it's possible if you are age 30 or less..

      Lee

      Delete
  15. As an admitted hoarder, I feel your pain re: losing so much of your "B" collection already. Especially the "classics" like Beethoven. On the bright side, you still have some interesting ones left. But, okay, CDs are not the same as vinyl, the sound you get. Feeling that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, many vinyl records were so valued by me that they were replaced by CDs through the years. Now I have far more Beethoven on CD than I had on vinyl LP. I do have some interesting records remaining in my collection. Now I need a new turntable.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. What? No Bad Company, BTO, Boston or Byrds? I actually don’t have any of these albums you’ve mentioned, though most of the bands are at least somewhat familiar. I only recall Blackfoot because you mentioned Pure Prairie League. Dave Brubeck? I could listen to Take Five any day. Bernstein was commonly used for ballet recitals, though back then I just knew it as ballet music – The Baroques? I don’t know why “Mary Jane” was so controversial. I liked the song. I’ve drawn an absolute blank on Buckwheat, but I’ve really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, of the Bs you mentioned I only had vinyl by The Byrds and I got rid of those but have gotten some of their albums on CD. Of the others I guess I never was interested enough to buy their albums though I liked all of these groups. The only one of them I have on CD now is Boston. Anything "Mary Jane" was likely rather controversial back in those times. I like the song better now than I used to.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. What a wonderful collection you have got! I am little bit of a hoarder and I am struggling to get rid of things I don't need much. But I never owned a vinyl... Maybe I should have! See you around the A-Z challenge!
    https://momandideas.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom&, I'm always on a quest to get rid of more, but some things I'll probably keep hanging on to.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. Our vinyl (mine/my husband's) was gotten rid of long ago. Our living room suffered flood damage years ago and the album covers did not survive - I have my 45's but few of them have jackets. Our collections were never extensive and no where near what yours was or still is. My husband has a lot of CD's, most of which were purchased from library book sales (Ithaca, New York's especially)and he plays one each night during his bath. I tend more towards streaming on You Tube - I don't even know many of the CDs we have in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alana, water damage can be devastating. For many years my albums were stored in my parents basement rec room. They endured some damp conditions and are a little worn from it, but not too badly. Most of the wear came from being handled and studied.

      I rarely listen to any of my own music these days. Like you I mainly listen to music on YouTube if I listen at all. Now often the silence can be very pleasing to enjoy.

      Lee

      Delete
  19. I do not remember any of those :( but wrote them down so that I can listen to them. Thanks for sharing the love of music Most of my music is on CD's and need to be on a thumb drive for todays players

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gators, the links in the posts can be clicked to hear most of the albums I've referred to in my posts. I've been listening to them as I visit blogs. It's nice to hear this music again after so many years.

      Lee

      Delete
  20. Wow, you had more than 500 vinil records!? Impressive. I can relate about regretting later about getting rid of them, I sometimes miss those vinils and their music from my childhood. And about my book collection, I could never get rid of any.
    https://steampunkcowunicorn.wordpress.com/2022/04/02/b-is-for-bastard/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absenta, I also got rid of many of my books and I hate that. That was when I need money, but the problem with books is that you never get much for them.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Indeed! That´s why I enjoyed visiting flea markets, I could get many good books for half an euro, and some years ago when the vinyls became collector´s piece, their price soared. Only books that are a century old are pretty valuable.

      Delete
  21. I am familiar with some of these albums, but I didn't have any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live &, there is some mainstream music in this group as well as totally obscure.

      Lee

      Delete
  22. I sold my albums when I moved. Yep, I regret it. Had some real jewels in there, but nowhere near what you’ve got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, sometimes we don't appreciate things until they are gone. Seems to me I heard that in a song.

      Lee

      Delete
  23. Ok. I think I had Buckwheat "Hot Tracks" at one point. The cover is familiar, but could not tell you a thing about it.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | The A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timothy, you can listen to the link to refresh your memory. I cannot recall ever seeing that Buckwheat album anywhere except for the copy I bought. I know it was out there though because there if info about it online. It's not a bad album at all.

      Lee

      Delete
  24. I got some of my vinyl albums from the free bin at Mystery Train Records in Amherst, and many from their $2 section, though I don't remember ever seeing any I liked or that were in good condition in the 25 cent stacks. I've heard of Music from Big Pink, but don't know many of The Band's songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, I never bought too much from used record stores until the eighties and nineties, but I tended to avoid those for fear they were in good condition.
      You should check out The Band since they play such a big influence in rock. They are Americana roots type music. Some beautiful songs. The film Last Waltz about The Band's farewell concert is something you might want to check out.

      Lee

      Delete
  25. I have the CDs for the Beatles, Garth Brooks, and Bizet's Carmen (among others).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, all good stuff. I've got a bunch of Garth Brooks.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee