This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Keep the Rest of the Collection--For Now at Least ( #AtoZChallenge )

 

        Keep the rest of the collection is the way I see it now.  I've gotten rid of a lot of good memories and good music so maybe that's enough.   Even if I don't play these records now, maybe someday I will.  So I'll keep the ones that remain. 




#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter       Did I really get rid of my King Crimson albums?  I guess I did because I don't see them on my shelf now.  Those were classics, but I got rid of a lot of classics over the years.  Looking over what remains on the shelf, it's kind of surprising to see how many albums I still have under the letter K...


Links to the music are included throughout the post if you want to hear the music.




Terry Knight & the Pack  "Reflections"  (1967)   Terry Knight was a so-so rock figure who managed a few minor releases in his early music career.  Then he hit the heights after he broke up The Pack and turned them into the supergroup Grand Funk Railroad.  During his stint as manager/producer for Grand Funk he also produced huge albums for the group Bloodrock.  After his meteoric rise in the seventies, his star descended as he developed less successful groups and had a bout with cocaine addiction.  In the eighties he settled into a more mundane existence as he worked in advertising sales for a weekly newspaper in Yuma AZ.  In 2004 he was stabbed to death by his daughter's drug addled boyfriend.  The "Reflections" album is one that I found in some forgotten cut-out bin back around 1970.  It's not a particularly great or memorable album, but somehow it now seems to have some sort of rock and roll historical significance.  



Kaleidoscope  "A Beacon from Mars"  (1968)  When I saw this album in some now forgotten cut-out bin the cover art first caught my attention. The purchase was clinched when I flipped the album over to see a line-up of eclectic instrumentalists that reminded me of the Incredible String Band--all sorts of weird and intriguing instruments.  There at the head of the group was violin player David Lindley who has appeared on albums by many other artists such as Jackson Browne.  Not only was there a violinist leading the group, they had in the song line-up "Louisiana Man" by Cajun fiddler Doug Kershaw.  A discounted album such as this was something I would rarely walk away from.  And I've decided to keep it now because it is an excellent album.




Kensington Market  "Aardvark" (1969)  The cover art on this album certainly stands out and everything else about the album intrigued me as well. The album's producer cinched it for me.  Felix Pappalardi was a name I had already known from his work on albums by Cream and Mountain.  If he had a hand in the Kensington Market album then I figured the music would probably be good.  And at a dollar I figured it was a chance expenditure worth taking.  I would call the album psychedelic Beatlesque pop.  It's a very pleasant album that I've listened to often over the years and it still sounds pretty good to my ears.  A keeper.



Doug Kershaw  "Douglas James Kershaw"  (1973)  I was familiar with Kershaw's song "Louisiana Man" before I knew who Doug Kershaw was.  Then I started hearing about Doug Kershaw as I would see him on television shows.  This Louisiana born Cajun was a bit of a wild man of an entertainer--"The Ragin' Cajun" they called him.  Since he was a fiddle player, I was a fan.  After I heard the song "Best Years of my Life" on the radio, I had to have the album it came from.  The song was not his typical style as it was more of a rock song, but it was damn good.  And the album is a good one.  I saw Doug Kershaw in an interesting concert at the Civic Center in Gatlinburg TN sometime in the seventies.  The concert was a line-up of songwriters who were somewhat well-known at the time, but now I don't remember who they were.  I'd know them if I could remember their names.  In 1981 I saw Kershaw perform again, this time on an outdoor stage at the Texas State Fair.  It was a somewhat brief performance, but it was a free attraction at the fair and a totally unexpected surprise for me.




The Kinks  "Second Time Around" (1980)   "Celluloid Heroes"  (1972)  The Kinks were one of my favorite groups of the sixties British Invasion.  My mother had bought me their "Greatest Hits!" album for Christmas in 1965, but apparently I got rid of that one somewhere along the way because I don't find it now.  I don't remember where or when I acquired the two Kinks albums I still have, but I'll keep them because they're the Kinks.


John Klemmer  "All the Children Cried" (1969)       "Touch" (1975)   One of the early musicians in the "Smooth Jazz" movement, John Klemmer is not one of my favorite jazz artists, but the album was a cut-out for a cheap price.  At the time when I saw it I didn't have much jazz in my collection so I figured I might as well pick this album up.  It's a good one by a respected artist.  Might as well keep it I guess.  Bonus:  I can't recall for sure where I got the "Touch" 45 record, but I think it was a give away at a fair somewhere.  I'll probably never play it, but I'll keep it.  It's like a novelty of sorts now.


         Anything among these albums ring a memory bell with you?   Do you have much jazz in your music collection?   Are there any artists under K that you'd like to recognize?








30 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are done getting rid of things... or want to be. The best way I've found to clear out excess clutter/things I don't need anymore... is to move. Moving overseas was the biggest purge of all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, not done yet! I'm always getting rid of things that really have not much value to me. The records are not included in that. I've done a few moves, but rarely got rid of much in that process.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I know the Kinks...
    We didn't get rid of any albums until a couple years ago when we converted them all to mp3s. And then I still saved a couple just because.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I'd like to convert the music, but I'd still probably want the physical albums because I like the covers and just the archaic nature of that vinyl. Just because.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Deciding what to keep and what to get rid of--always a big decision....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, it's usually a big decision for me and if it's not then it usually turns out to be a rash decision.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I love the Kinks but I don’t hVe their albums, I believe. What a sad story about Terry Knight. How old was he when he died? His daughter must have been beside herself. I know my brother has that famous King Crimson cover with screaming mouth. I do like that band but I have 2 Klaatu albums. I think they were highly original and they were kot the Beatles:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, Terry Knight was only 61 when he was murdered. What an amazing cycle his life went with such a tragic conclusion. I had that King Crimson album you describe on 8 track and I listened to that one so many times. Never had Klaatu but I remember the hype that came with their arrival on the music scene--some people claimed that they actually were the Beatles for a while.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Wow you really have such amazing album collection. I am going to add some of these to my playlist.

    Hope you check out my A-Z challenge posts in which I am trying to have every sentence of the story (one chapter a day) start with the letter of the day https://momandideas.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, I think you'll find something in my music that you will surely like. So many different styles of music!

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Not a big fan of jazz music though I will try The Kinks. Seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paromita, I wasn't a big fan of jazz in my earlier years, but in college I started listening and appreciating it much more. Still not my favorite genre, but I do like jazz.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I have six albums by the Kinks. The way they kept remaking themselves was almost beyond belief; from All Day, All Night to The Village Green Preservation Society, to Lola, Muswell Hillbillies and Low Budget, they were in front of so many style changes in the music business. Spectacular group. Waterloo Sunset may be my favorite song.

    John Klemmer's Arabesque Album changed my perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, my biggest years for the Kinks was when they first came out. I remained familiar with their music, but never seemed to buy many of their albums.

      Not familiar with the Klemmer album you mention, but I've not explored much of his music beyond what I own.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I remember Terry Knight as the guy behind Grand Funk Railroad, but these are all new to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I think he was pursuing a style like Paul Revere and the Raiders and Phil Spectre. Grand Funk was a step in a more profitable musical direction.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I never knew Knight actually recorded anything. Outside of the Kinks, have to say I draw a blank here... but that's the fun of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I didn't know until I found this album back then and I recognized his name from the Grand Funk album to make that there was an association. As much unique music that you post on your blog I would have thought you had run across a couple of these.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I also have The Kinks Greatest Hits plus Toby Keith, and B.B. King. The Kinks is thanks to my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I don't have any Toby Keith but my family in TN all love his music. I went to his bar in Las Vegas and that was fun.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I am not familiar with these albums... but i love the word Kaleidoscope... its cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, that band name is partly what attracted me I think. I also love the word "Kaleidoscope".

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I remember the Kinks, "So tired of waiting for you".
    I love Toby Keith (I see your family does too ;-) )
    Oh! Kansas! "Dust in the Wind"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I loved the earliest Kinks. But I also liked their artier later phase. They were an interesting group.

      Toby Keith's music is made for partying. He's like the Jimmy Buffet of Country Music.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. I really need to add some Kinks' albums to my collection. It's a shame the local oldies stations never played enough of their songs for me to get a proper taste of their music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, the Kinks were classic in every stage they went through. Fortunately now we have YouTube and so many other music outlets to find what we want to listen to.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Love the Kinks! When we moved internationally, before all our stuff arrived, we only had three CDs in the car for a while, and one of them was The Kinks, so now our young daughter loves them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deniz, The Kinks have some great albums out. Strange that I've never gotten more of them since they were one of my favorite groups in the sixties.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. I've never been a Kinks fan, and I think I might have known Doug Kershaw once upon a time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyanne, Doug Kershaw's cajun sound and his hit "Louisiana Man" got him on a number of TV shows in the sixties. The song has been covered by other artists as well.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee