This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, April 18, 2022

Only One ( #AtoZChallenge )

     Only one artist for this post.  See--I told you there would be some short posts coming.  

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter    The letter O gets a big 0 (zero) when it comes to albums I've gotten rid of,  but the O artist that I did keep has a respectable showing in my music library.


Links to the music are included throughout the post if you want to hear the music.



Oak Ridge Boys    "Performance" (1971)         CD box set Collection Gospel Favorites  (1998)  I began my appreciation for the Oak Ridge Boys back in the sixties when they were still touring as a gospel group.  I'd see performances by them on an early morning gospel show that I'd watch before going to school.  Previously I had not been overly fond of the countrified sounds of Southern Gospel singing, but then I heard the magical harmonizing of the Oaks and my ears perked.  They were starting to have an edgier look with a bit longer hair than the typical Southern Gospel groups that I'd been accustomed to seeing.  And then there was the great song by Larry Norman "I Wish We'd All Been Ready" that was often played on the show (the link will take you to the same video I used to see on the show I watched).  That's when I realized that the Oaks were taking the traditional Southern Gospel into a new direction.  They were among the the pioneers of the Contemporary Christian Music sound.  When the ORB went mainstream country I mostly lost interest in their new music. Fortunately they never completely forgot their roots and continued to sing some of their old gospel songs.  This is a group with quite a history and they are worth a place in my music collection.

     

          Have you been a fan of any of the music of the Oak Ridge Boys?   Do you like any Christian music in particular?    Which O artists can you think of?   








22 comments:

  1. Not a particular fan of the genre, although what I do own has come to me via used c.d.'s and the like. But I do like gospel as well as spiritual music perform in the bluegrass/Americana/folk genres though.

    I do have a decent collection of music from Oasis and the Offspring though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB, I wasn't a fan at all of the Southern Gospel genre--that is unless I started seeing where the Oaks were taking their music. I prefer their gospel music to their country songs like "Elvira".

      Never had any Offspring unless I inherited some from my late brother's CD collection. So far I haven't taken the time to explore most of his albums and he had a lot. Oasis I do have at least one album somewhere, but again, I've not listened to it much.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Of course I like Christian music - I play it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, yeah, but do you play any Southern Gospel?

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I do love Larry Norman and am privileged to have Just Visiting on vinyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dino, I liked Larry Norman's music when he was with the pop group People! and had the hit "I Love You". Larry Norman did some fine and interesting work. I have Just Visiting as well as a number of his other albums on CD and cassette.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. The closest thing I have to country-gospel, also an O, is an Old, old Odetta album I inherited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I remember Odetta embraced by the folk music leaning crowd. It seems that I might have had an Odetta 8 track, but now I can't quite recall. It was by her or some similar artist.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. These are all new to me. Thank you for sharing, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damyanti, I'm not sure that the Oaks had an international reach to any great extent. But they became pretty big in the U.S. country music market.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. They had a great sound, and likely still do. I was a little upset when they told William Goldman to lose the "mountain man" look and ended up firing him, though I heard all had reconciled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, they had some great harmonies. I remember the controversy now that you mention it. I saw a video where they were singing together again and ironed out differences. At least I seem to remember seeing that.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Not one single O album. Shocking. I love the Oak Ridge Boys so that may be another upcoming purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I have more under O in my cassettes and CDs. Never much on vinyl. Oak Ridge Boys should be in any respectable music collection that includes country music.


      Lee

      Delete
  8. I have an Oak Ridge Boys, a couple by OMD (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark,) one Oingo Boingo, and a Roy Orbison. The letter O does not really have the kind of Orr (as in Benjamin) to mine that say, M has. If you go with first names, like Oscar Peterson, then I have a few more. But I put Peterson under P where he belongs!

    Sixgun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sixgun, I have at least one OMD album on CD as well as on cassette. I remember seeing a lot of their music when I was in Canada & that's where I got my cassette by the group. Don't remember much about what they sounded like though.

      Also I have Oingo Boingo and Orbison on CD. O's are more on the rare side even when you include first name. I did have an Oscar Brand record of bawdy cowboy ballads, but I'd put that under B.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I only encountered the mighty Oaks in the post-Elvira era, but one I did like was their Come On In...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, they did their country well and with professional polish. Still I am fond of their musical roots in gospel.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. The Oak Ridge Boys have always been popular around here, especially if you happen to be at a dirt track on a Sunday morning.

    Never owned it, but always liked the song “Dance with me” by Orleans. I don’t even know if they did anything else.

    Something else in O? “Hey ya” by Outkast

    In Christian rock I like Lifehouse and Triumph, but not sure they qualify ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, The Oaks were a crowd pleaser band. Just about everybody can get into a groove with their music.

      I loved "Dance With Me"! Such memories of a really great time of my life. Orleans was around for a while. They had a slightly bigger hit with "Still the One" which I've heard used in various advertising campaigns. It's a good song but "Dance With Me" has a nice melody in my ears.

      Christian rock encompasses a wide number of groups with many on the fringe. Not sure about Lifehouse and Triumph because I don't remember their music--I've heard it, but never listened that much to either.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Hate "Elvira" and "Bobby Sue" but have a weakness for "Ozark Mountain Jubilee." Worked with them for a hot minute in the early 90s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyanne, not my favorite songs either--I find them annoying. I don't remember the "Ozark" song. Worked for them? Sounds interesting.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee