This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Just Vinyl, but Memorable Vinyl ( #AtoZChallenge )

 Just vinyl--I guess that's what I was thinking when I started getting rid of my record collection.  The money and extra space seemed more important at the time.  Then, after getting rid of over half of my records amassed over a period of several decades, I decided that some were worth keeping and I stopped selling off the rest of them.  I kind of wish I still had the records I have gotten rid of, but it's just vinyl I have to tell myself.  It's just more stuff that maybe I don't need.   But then again.  When are things worth keeping?



#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter       I got rid of my Joe Jackson album, but I never listened to it much anyway.  Same with Rick James.  But I probably should have kept my album by the James Gang--I still remember the day I got that album in the mail from the record club.  Jan and Dean definitely held a lot of memories for me in the two albums I had by them and now those albums are just memories.  At least I did keep the following albums in the J section...


Links to the music are included throughout the post if you want to hear the music.




Michael Jackson  "Thriller" (picture disc) (1983)  I now don't even recall when, where, or why I bought this picture vinyl.  But apparently I did.  Since it seemed like sort of a collectible item I've kept it.  I got rid of my original "Thriller" album, but I kept this one that I don't think I've ever actually played.  Maybe I should frame it or something.


Jefferson Airplane (and other Jefferson incarnations)  "After Bathing at Baxter's" (1967)  I've liked the music of Jefferson Airplane and their successive transformations from the beginning and still enjoy their music.  They were among the best of the psychedelic bands and the "Baxter's" album is one of my favorites of all.  I hung on to all of the albums I owned by this collaborative effort from San Francisco and added to those with a number of their CDs including a great boxed retrospective.  Once I even had an 8 track cartridge by the group but that is long gone.  




Elton John  (1970) should have representation in any respectable vinyl collection.  I've only got this earliest album in my collection, but John's first albums prior to 1972 were the best in my opinion.  Since I have a number of his albums on cassette and CD I have plenty of Elton John music to listen to when I want a dose of it, but having this early album on vinyl is nice for my collection.


Jethro Tull  "Thick as a Brick" (1972) I enjoyed Tull's music early on, but this album cinched a place in my favorite artists for this group.  "Thick as a Brick" is a prog rock masterpiece.  Jethro Tull also put on one of the best concerts that I've seen.  My late friend Steve had won two front row tickets to see the group in spring of 1975 at the Knoxville Coliseum and he invited me to go with him. It was a real treat to see this masterful group up close like that.  The concert was amazing.  Later that same year I saw the group again in Terre Haute Indiana.  The seats weren't as good, but the performance was again superb.  I got rid of a couple of other Tull vinyls, but I've got several of their albums on cassette and CD so they are still well represented in my music library.


Keith Jarrett "The Koln Concert" (1975)  The link I've used is actually an interpretation of the original performed by Tomasz Trzcinski but I think it's pretty true to the original.  I couldn't seem to find the original by Jarrett on YouTube.  This is an album that was introduced to me by my second wife Susan.  Though I knew the name of Keith Jarrett, I didn't know his music.  This album is serious solo jazz piano that probably should be equated more to classical perhaps.  The album has attained a legendary status so I figured I should keep it.





Jesus Christ Superstar  (1970)  This album was released amidst fanfare and controversy.  The idea that it would be a fusion of classical and rock excited me so I put this album on my 1970 Christmas list for my mother.  Naturally the wrapped album was under the tree later that Christmas.  My mother always seemed to come through in helping me build up my record collection.  This is an excellent album original recording of what has become a classic of modern stage musicals.



       Which of these albums do you remember?   Do you have any picture discs and if so, what have you done with them?   What are some of your favorite J artists?



37 comments:

  1. We have a couple picture discs and yes, they are all framed and on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, if I framed the records I'm not sure where I'd hang them. Our walls are very covered now.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Jamie, Elton John has been such a major presence in rock history.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. "Thick as a Brick" is a wonderful album. That one REALLY takes me back. Easily my favorite one of all the album you have here. Though I went trough a period of not liking Elton John's music, but I got over that and have come back around to how great he is.

    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | A to Z on Conspiracy Theories, J is for JFK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timothy, Thick as a Brick was such an innovative album and still holds up well. Elton John post 1972 put out a lot of run of the mill stuff, but he is a musical genius.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Lee - My life is hectic so I can't read your daily posts in a timely fashion, but I'm enjoying catching up today on some of them! They are fun.

    You are right on the money here with some of these comments. Early Elton John is not only way better, some of it is truly great. I still have most of my albums, including all the early EJ. AND all of the early JT.

    Jethro Tull was my favorite group at one time, and I still love their early music. Thick as a Brick is a MASTERPIECE. Love it, and still listen to it all the way thru at least four times a year. I also love their "Stand Up" album. I bought it when it came out and "Nothing is Easy" is a really swinging, bluesy rock number, with great drumming from their early drummer Clive Bunker. There are some fun vids of JT doing Thick as a Brick on YouTube.

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six-gun, even without a hectic schedule I often find it difficult to read blog posts so I totally understand.

      I was kind of fanatic about Tull in the early seventies. Over the years I've gone through various musical phases, but I always enjoyed going back to some of the great Tull recordings.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I remember all except Keith Jarrett. The video you linked looked and sounded beautiful!
    I haven’t heard a Rick James song in forever, but the mention of his name brought several tunes to mind.
    You saw Jethro Tull twice? I’d have liked to have seen him once.
    The only Elton John album I had was “Madman across the Water” that’s where I first heard and fell in love with “Tiny Dancer”
    I may only have one CD of each, but Jon Bon Jovi, Journey, and John Mellancamp are a few I still enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, Keith Jarrett's music puts me in mind of the New Age style of relaxing meditative music. I guess he has an almost cult-like following.

      Jethro Tull was so good the first time that when I saw that he was going to play in Terre Haute while I was living there briefly I just had to go to see them.

      If you are going to own any Elton John I think Madman is the best one to own. I've listened to that one more than any other.

      I don't think I have any Bon Jovi, but Journey and Mellancamp are represented in my collection in CD or cassette format.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I am so behind. I know my brother has a couple of Elton John albums. I have the best of Jefferson Airplane. I could see one framing one of those records with the picture on it but never Michael Jackson. He was so talented but I do believe he was a pedophile. I think, though, he was trying to stay a child because he had such a horrible dad and not much of a childhood himself. I never liked seeing him grab his crotch so often. It was just too strange. I have to catch up now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, Michael Jackson has secured a place in music history and he was a major talent so I don't think I could ever "cancel" him. It was a shame he became such a bizarre character. The crotch grab is a move that so many artists have continued to do and I also disliked seeing it as I dislike twerking, sexual gyrating, and other what I would call vulgar type dance moves. It's especially bad when I see kids doing it in dance numbers.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. I so agree. There are many artists that have committed crimes. Caravaggeo murdered someone for example. It doesn't take away their talent. I just can't stand the guy but I recognize his talent. I'm sick of all the boobs and butts flashing in front of me. Just sing and dance without the in your face sex stuff. Ick.

      Delete
  7. Each of these turned my internal growth into new directions, some for good, some not so good. Yes, they are part of the soundtrack of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do feel your pain in having got rid of half of your collection, but I'm glad you stopped there.

    I agree that Elton John should be represented in any decent collection.

    One of my favourite Js would have to be Jeff Beck, I have quite a lot of his stuff and love how he plays the guitar, getting such unique sounds from it. I think I'd have to throw in Joe Satriani too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dino, I have some Jeff Beck in CD & cassette collection including a nice box CD set. He put out some great stuff that I didn't appreciate as much in the early days as I did later. Satriani is also excellent, but I can't recall if I have any of his albums. I think I might have a CD or two by him, but I might be confusing him with someone else.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I recently saw Jesus Christ Superstar in person. It was all I could do to not sing along with every song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L&L, was it a local or a road company show. In 1981 my wife and I went to see a local production in Coeur d'Alene Idaho and it was quite good. I can understand wanting to sing along.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. We saw it at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. It was a touring company and it was quite good.

      Delete
    3. L&L, the summer stock company we saw was good, but a big touring professional production I'm sure would be even better. Seeing it at the Kennedy Center would be a big plus. Great that you had that experience.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. This list, I had Thick as a Brick, and once borrowed JCS from a HS teacher I got on well with. The thought reminded me of my last day of HS- wondering the halls 'babysitting' her 4 year old daughter while she taught one last class. We had such a blast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, music can carry us back--I hear what you're saying. Life has turned out okay for both of us I guess.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. For me, the one must-own Elton John album is his relatively obscure soundtrack for the movie 'FRIENDS'.

    The movie itself is not worth watching, even once; but the E.J. soundtrack for the movie, I play that on a regular basis. In fact, it's one of my most frequently played albums in the mornings while I'm having my cups of coffee. (It's an essential part of my music collection that I refer to as MMWJ - 'Morning Music With Joe').

    Here's something I wrote to my friend Bryan about this MMWJ album two or three years ago:

    Elton John's 'Friends' soundtrack has such personal history for me. For various reasons, it reminds me of my dear departed friend Marty Brumer. And that title track opens the album with such sunny sentiment for the start of a new day:

    I hope the day will be a lighter highway
    For friends are found on every road
    Can you ever think of any better way
    For the lost and weary travelers to go?

    Making friends for the world to see
    Let the people know you got what you need
    With a friend at hand you will see the light
    If your friends are there then everything's all right

    It seems to me a crime that we should age
    These fragile times should never slip us by
    A time you never can or shall erase
    As friends together watch their childhood fly


    Speaking just for me, 'FRIENDS' (recorded Sept., 1970; released March, 1971) is the only Elton John album I need and do own. It's still one of most frequently played compact discs, and particularly on mornings, while sipping coffee, and when I really want to start the day out right. This one cuts very emotionally deep for me.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, this is an album I hadn't thought of in a long time and yet now thinking about I can still remember the album cover having seen it elsewhere. I don't know if I've heard it or not, but likely have heard something from it. I'm sure I can find it somewhere on YouTube or somewhere.

      Love the lyrics. Those really speak to me.

      I tend to associate certain music with certain people either still around or long departed. That's why I can't get rid of some of these vinyl albums--they have connections to people in my past.

      Lee

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Lee, this "letter J" has caught our interest! Stephen, you and I have also discussed this and feel the same way about it. VERY great album. I own it, listen to it, and consider it his best. I even have a copy of the movie I got from somewhere. (While I don't think it is as bad as you do, it is not fabulous.) But I am a fan of all the Elton John albums prior to "Captain Fantastic;" it was a quick spiral downward from there!

      Sixgun

      Delete
    3. SIXGUN McITCHYFINGER ~

      Yes, this album is one of those that somehow manages to bridge 'The Great Musical Divide' for us. We can add it to that short list which includes Tom Petty, Louis Prima, and a couple others. (I'm listening to 'FRIENDS' while typing this comment and sipping my morning joe.)

      And, in fact, you probably recall that several years ago, it was you who loaned me your copy of the 'FRIENDS' movie to watch, because I had looked high and low and it was simply unobtainable. I did - and still do - greatly appreciate the loan. Even though I felt it was a weak movie, for decades I'd had an intense curiosity to see it; wondering how all this great music fit into whatever story the movie was conveying.

      Although the movie didn't come anywhere near what I'd hoped (i.e., something worthy of containing this great music from Elton and Bernie), I felt a satisfaction from having finally scratched that itch. If not for the loan, I'd likely be going to my grave still tremendously curious as to "what it's all about". So, in all sincerity, I am still grateful - "mighty grateful" - for you letting me borrow your copy of the movie all those years back ago. Much appreciated by me and my 'Curiosity Cat'.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

      Delete
    4. STMcC, thanks for the link. As I am listening to this I remember the album well. Even though I never owned a copy, apparently one of my friends had it and we must have listened to it a lot.

      Some excellent music on the album that is very much like his other first 3 albums. And I like the instrumental interludes. That's something I used to like about many soundtrack albums.

      I never saw the film and never had a great urge to see it, but now I'm interested enough that if it ever comes on one of my movie channels I will record it to take a look. The soundtrack gives me a Love Story vibe which is a film my wife liked a lot and I found to be tolerable but not nearly a favorite of mine.

      I did enjoy the soundtrack. I still prefer Madman Across the Water but I have so many fond memories attached to that album. But 6-Gun is right about John's "downward spiral" after the early albums. Not that he was bad or put out horrible music, but he just became mainstream and predictable. But I guess this happens with many artists.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I kept my records for the longest time. When the Internet became a way to listen to music I decided to part with them. I'm kind of kicking myself now that I didn't keep them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I think many of us go through certain stages as we grow older and go through life changes that make us reevaluate the things we have--those things that can sometimes bog us down through moves and making room. Most things I've gotten rid of in the past, at some time or another I wished I hadn't gotten rid of them. I go back and forth on old possessions, but in the end I have to remind myself they are just things and other people have lost virtually everything due to some disaster or life incident.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. I was kind of surprised not to find any Elton John or Michael Jackson in my remaining CDs, but I do have the complete soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, John and Jackson are staples of any extensive music collection, but not everyone's cup of tea. J C Superstar was quite the ground-breaking musical and is a good addition to any well rounded music library.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Love Jethro Tull! Feeling like a dead duck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deniz, Jethro Tull was definitely one of the most innovative rock groups ever.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. I had Thriller on cassette and would play it for my 2nd graders. Have always loved Tull and some of the music from Jesus Christ Superstar (I liked Godspell much better)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyanne, Did you have your students do a choreographed zombie dance with the song? Love watching groups do that routine.
      Godspell has more fun to it.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee