This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, April 22, 2022

Singers, Swingers, and Stringers ( #AtoZChallenge )

       Singers are a main focus of my vinyl collection, but without the great musicians the music would be rather lacking.   A song sung well is an absolute delight, but the virtuosity of a great musician is dynamite. 

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter      Sad to see the departure of Sad Cafe.  Likewise, I miss Styx and Stryper.  Stockhausen, Stravinsky, and Saint-Saens slipping away left a big hole in my classical section.  And why, oh why, did I sell off that unique album by The Smubbs?  A slew of S albums have gone, but several remain...


Links to the music are included throughout the post if you want to hear the music.




Spanky and Our Gang  "Like to Get to Know You" (1968)   This album was given to me by my dear late friend Fred.  He tended to do that:  Give away his stuff after enjoying it for a short while.  He must have sensed that he would leave this world far too early.  Besides, this is a marvelous album with great songs and exquisite vocal harmonies.  I couldn't let go of this album--especially since it is a reminder of a very good friend whom I miss.


Don Shirley Trio  "Don Shirley Presents Martha Flowers" (1962)    "Don Shirley in Concert" (1969)    I was thrilled when I heard about the movie Green Book (2018) being about one of my favorite jazz pianists.  It's a wonderful movie that you should see if you haven't already.  And you should check out the music of Don Shirley.  I found his collaborative effort with Martha Flowers in a cut-out catalog and had to order it since I already knew his music from the concert album.  I had originally heard a cut from Don Shirley in Concert on the University of Tennessee NPR station WUOT in Knoxville. Hearing his trio's rendition of "Georgia on my Mind" enthralled me and I was compelled to find his album, which I did at the University of Tennessee Bookstore.  So many times I've listened to this album and been carried away to a magical place in my musical mind.  The songs are classics played in a classical style, but still it's jazz. It's a truly amazing album that I'd never want to let go of.


Eddie South  "The Dark Angel of the Fiddle"  (originally from 1958, re-released in 1981)  When I was a kid my parents had a magnificent album by jazz violinist Eddie South.  That album eventually disappeared--probably thrown out due to wear--but I never forgot the music. After I started collecting albums I searched for the music of this artist.  Finally in the eighties I ran across this "Dark Angel" album in either a bookstore or a record close-out catalog.  There was no question in my mind about buying the album and there is no reason to get rid of it now.  This is a great album of jazz violin music.




Eric Satie  "Orchestral Music" (1970)  In the late sixties I first discovered the music of Eric Satie and developed somewhat of an obsession about it.  I'd seen a PBS documentary about "The Velvet Gentleman" and found it to be quite interesting.  Then I heard a Satie "Gymnopedie" piece on the second album by Blood Sweat & Tears.  I started looking for any Satie I could find.  It was not an easy task at that time.  I found an 8 track cartridge recording called "The Velvet Gentleman" and then later a boxed set (you'll see that one on my letter V day).  Now I have several collections of Satie's music on CD, but this album of Satie's orchestral music is a special find.  I bought it through a catalog of classical cut-outs.  It was a nice find then and worth keeping now.




Small Circle of Friends   (1968)  This album from a cut-out bin was cheap, but it was good.  This got plenty of spins on my turntable.  This is a nice collection of pop songs by an excellent vocal group.  This is music that I always enjoy hearing.




Frank Sinatra  "Try a Little Tenderness"  (1967)  This album originally belonged to my mother, but I listened to it frequently back in my teen years.  This is some of Sinatra's best work with his top arrangers and conductors.  Since it belonged to my late mother then I will keep this one even though it's not in tip top condition.  She didn't take as good of care of her records as I did, but it's probably still playable.




Status Quo "Picturesque Matchstickable Messages from the Status Quo"  (1968) This is another cut-out bin treasure that nicely complements my collection of psychedelic music.  Keeping it.




The Sugar Shoppe  (1968)  This is a long time favorite album of mine that I'm so glad to have discovered.  Now I'm not totally sure when I first discovered this group.  I can remember hearing their song "Poor Papa" on the radio, but now the details are a bit hazy to my memory.  Whatever the circumstance, I apparently put it on my 1968 Christmas list for my mother and, by golly, she found it.  I've listened to this album more times than I can count and have never tired of it.  I just don't get rid of albums like this one.




Spirit  "Clear" (1969)   "Time Circle" (1991)  In my estimation, Spirit is one of the best groups ever. Great songs and great performances.  This eclectic group mish-mashed rock with jazz and classical.  I would list them among my favorite groups.  I was so fortunate to run across their "Clear" album in a cut-out bin where I paid far less than I would have otherwise. This album is one that I listened to many many times back when I used to listen to a lot of vinyl.  Later I found their retrospective package "Time Circle" on CD and it's an absolute must have compilation for anyone who loves the music of the seventies.  




String Driven Thing  "String Driven Thing"  (1972)  When I saw this album in a used record store in Knoxville TN back around 1988 there was no question as to my buying it.  The name of the group implies strings, i.e. violin.   And if there was still any doubt then the cover picture depicting the weird robot looking guy playing the violin confirms any suspicions.  The song titles sounded pretty cool as well so that was that. I bought the album.  This Scottish group has a number albums released, but this is the only one that I have come across.  I'll keep this one.


   Which of these artists or albums do you recognize?    Do you have many albums that were given to you by others?   Which S artists would you like to include in my list?









30 comments:

  1. Never quite sure about the music back in ye olden days as my tastes were more narrower and less appreciative than they are today, but I do enjoy the album covers.

    Lots of imagination and creativity being used, just like today. I have loads of c.d.'s that I've listened to but once, but really enjoy the artwork that grace them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB, the artwork on CDs & cassettes was usually far more limited than what was possible with LPs. So much space that could be used for a vinyl record cover! I've gotten a few CD and even cassette sets or specially packaged releases that were unique and maybe collectible, but nothing like some of the albums that have come out.

      With downloadable music it's even worse. I guess the future might be NFTs, but nothing like the tangible experience of examining a record jacket and it's contents.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Alex, I'm guessing Sinatra was one of them.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I did not know about Don Shirley until "Green Book."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I thought Green Book was such a wonderful film. And seeing a film based on life incidents from a musician whom I have long respected and enjoyed was a real surprise for me.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I can remember Spanky and our Gang, if someone brings them up and mentions that song.

    Spirit's Nature's Way drew me to them, and Mom's Frank Sinatra is still a dark hole to fall into.

    Biggest other Ss in my collection are Santana (who slid Latin Rhythms into my life) and Sade ( no real side notes, it is what it is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, My first exposure to the music of Spirit was when a band that some of my friends were a part of used to play "I've Got a Line on You" in the late 60s. I had no idea about the song until my friend Fred told me who had done it. From then on I was on the lookout for the music of that great group Spirit. "Nature's Way" is such a great song as well--with a good message.

      I only had the first Santana album in my collection, but now it's gone. I used to listen to that album so often. I always liked Santana, but never bought any more of their albums until I bought some of their CDs sometime in this current century. I figured Santana was a must have for any extensive rock music collection. I had always enjoyed Latin rhythms because my parents used to have a lot of albums by artists like Perez Prado. They liked that style to use as music for juggling.

      Sade I have on CD. Used to listen to her back in the nineties, but haven't listened in more recent decades. She is good though.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Well, I know Sinatra, of course ;-) Not familiar with any of the others. I clicked the link and found I like "Small Circle of Friends" The "S" bands in my collection include Santana, Simon and Garfunkel, Steve Miller Band, and Styx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, You have some solid S artists in your collection. I got on a big Styx interest in the eighties. I probably should have hung on to my Kilroy Was Here album--I liked that one a great deal.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Since my mom passed away I've been listening to Frank Sinatra. Wasn't really a huge fan before but she had a CD she would listen to a lot. Of course it just makes me miss her more.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, my mother also liked Sinatra and had a number of his albums. My late brother-in-law who passed away some 10 years ago also liked Sinatra's music. My oldest daughter made a beautiful tribute video for him after he died using Sinatra's "My Way". It brought tears (and smiles) to all of the family.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Another mystery. Why don't I have any Sinatra. I have Streisand, but Sinatra is better. I also have Rod Stewart, Tina Turner, Tenors Anyone? with all the greats, and the sound track from Schindler's List. I love that you're introducing me to all my neglected CDs and showing where I need to fill in the blanks (especially Queen and Sinatra).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, You need some Sinatra on your shelf. The others are good, but Sinatra is the Chairman. Glad I've enlightened you a bit about your own music collection.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I had the single of "Pictures of Matchstick Men" by Status Quo for a bit. I sought it out after hearing the Camper Van Beethoven cover.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | The A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, I like Camper Van Beethoven quite a bit. I used to listen to them a lot years ago. I'll have to look up their cover, though I might have it on an album.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I never knew until I started blogging that Spanky and Our Gang were from Chicago. They did some great songs, my favorite being "Like To Get To Know You." It's kind of psychedelic.

    Sinatra, Status Quo, Spirit: familiar with all of them, love 'em all.

    I'll have to check out Don Shirley and Eddie South.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, if you haven't seen the movie Green Book then you should check it out. In the past I used to just listen to Don Shirley's music and never think about his life. But I guess it's that way with a lot of artists we listen to.

      Eddie South had such a haunting sound. His music stands out from my childhood from about age 10 to 12 after which the album had gone I don't know where.

      When I was listening to Spanky & Co back yore I don't guess I ever thought about where they were from. Probably like you my knowledge was gained or refreshed in years since blogging began. They seemed like part of the San Francisco scene but maybe that was partly due to that psychedelic sunshine sound. They were one of the great groups of the era.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I've never heard of most of these groups, but I do know that the Status Quo album is a rare find from their days as a Blues band.

    Today's post: T Is For TKO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dino, I don't know the blues sound of Status Quo, but I like their psychedelic sound.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I have heard of Frank Sinatra ... the rest no ... always used to listen to music on cassettes and then later digital players

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, Sinatra is fairly internationally known because of his hit songs as well as his movies. Most people born after the late 1970s probably didn't have a lot of experience with listening to music on vinyl records.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. LEE ~

    You've got several artists here that I'd never heard of (no surprise in that), but the one that really lights me up is that first one, 'Spanky And Our Gang'. You know I particularly love vocal harmonies (Mamas & Papas, 5th Dimension, Beach Boys), and that group was one of the very best!

    A memory that will linger in my mind until the day God calls me Home again: I think it was probably about 1981. Late in the day, I was alone and driving West on Imperial Highway, roughly adjacent to LAX. I was heading toward the ocean, with the sun beginning to set ("long-shadow" part of the day) and listening to some oldies radio station. Then this song comes through my car speakers - 'Like To Get To Know You'. Believe it or not, I'd never heard that song before and had no idea who the singers were.

    This was one of those Goldenshadow soul-deep magical moments, where the song is beautiful and perfectly fits the place and time. I think I started to weep, and made up my mind to find out who that group was asap.

    Within days, I had acquired a 'Spanky' LP, and later added some more of their music to my collection, eventually stumbling across their rendition of 'Stardust' which completely blew my mind! I was certainly familiar with 'Stardust', but I had never heard it arranged like *that*. To this day, it remains my favorite rendition of that song. In fact, I used it once in an ancient BOTB installment.

    Thanks for inspiring me to recall that beautiful moment on that beautiful day all those decades ago. It was a precious time for me. (I've had some 'Spanky & Our Gang' playing while typing this comment. Great, great stuffs!)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, that is indeed a special music memory. I guess I'm not overly surprised that you had never heard "Like to Get to Know You" until 1981 or so. The group seemed to have this brief flash of popularity and then kind of just faded away. I have rarely heard any of their music on the radio or anywhere else. Such a great group so sadly neglected. I knew you would appreciate this pick from my album shelf.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Recognise only Frank Sinatra :-( But I will definitely go through your links and listen to the other artists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archana, Sinatra is so big with a name that's been around for decades that it would be hard not to know who he was. There is some pretty great music of many styles in the above links.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Ooh, I'd add one more -- The Small Faces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I always had my eyes on that Ogden's Nut Flake or whatever it was called album that came in a round package--seemed like a collectible one to own. Never got it on vinyl, but at some point I bought it on cassette. Good choice for S.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Blogger is acting up and won't let me sign in! I'm not Anonymous, I'm Deniz at The Girdle of Melian! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deniz, Blogger started acting weird toward the end of April.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee