This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Edification Etcetera ( #AtoZChallenge ) ( #IWSG )

         Edification, education, enlightenment, entertainment--this post is all about the E's...and the ears.  Reading is fine, but hearing can be sublime.  Sitting back and just listening to a person reading or to a musical artist singing or playing can be a truly relaxing experience.  It's also a great way to pass time while driving.  Believe your ears!

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter


The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog

The co-hosts for the April 6 posting of the IWSG are Joylene Nowell Butler, Jemima Pett, Patricia Josephine, Louise - Fundy Blue, and Kim Lajevardi!


April 6 question - Have any of your books been made into audio books? If so, what is the main challenge in producing an audiobook?

      This question doesn't apply to me, but it is certainly related to my A to Z Theme for 2022.  Audio is where I'm at this April.  My collection of vinyl records has provided me so much listening pleasure throughout the years.  The process of recording music or the spoken word is an art in itself.  Pleasing sound is what keeps a listener engaged. Even unpleasant sound can serve some purpose--but I won't bother going there.

       So skipping the writing topic, let me think about my vinyl collection.  Not much E-ticket action here (a Disney reference a lot of folks might not understand).  I got rid of Ellington, but kept Ellis.  Also I sold my Edin-Adahl album and now don't even recall what they sounded like.  But I did hang on to a few records by artists beginning with the letter E...


Links to the music are included throughout the post if you want to hear the music.



Don Ellis Orchestra  "Autumn" (1968) and "At the Fillmore" (1970)---  When I heard "Variations for Trumpet" from Ellis's Autumn album played on the Knoxville NPR station late one night I knew I had to have that album.  Soon after hearing it,  I found the album in the bookstore at the University of Tennessee where I was attending at the time and added it to my collection.   Later for my Christmas list in 1970 I included the Ellis At the Fillmore album and my mother delivered as she so often did. I think my sister helped her find some of these more obscure albums that I would ask for, but whatever the case my mother was amazing when it came to giving me things I asked for.  Maybe I was kind of spoiled too?   Well, I'm not going to go into that since this is about Don Ellis.  These are two great jazz rock albums that I felt hesitant to give up.


Easy Rider  "Ride On" (197?)  Here's an album that I can almost guarantee that no one reading this post owns--that is unless you're an old friend from East Tennessee.  This was a band from the Maryville TN area that consisted of some friends and other guys I remotely knew.  I'm not sure how many copies they pressed, but my friend Lonnie Carver (who was in the band) gave me a copy.  I'm certain that not too many copies remain so it is likely a rarity.  Not bad music from some capable musicians who continued to play over the past many decades up to this present day.   For a sampling of some music from a couple of the members of the band you can check out these links:   Captain Suck & the Mediocre Band   and  Lonnie Carver "Let's Run"  (singing a song that I wrote). 


Earth Opera  (1968) is a vinyl album I picked up from a used record store sometime in the eighties.  In the early seventies I had their album  Great American Eagle Tragedy (1969) on 8 track cartridge and liked it a great deal, but as with most 8 tracks it met its doom somewhere along the way.  When I saw the earlier Earth Opera album in the bins for a cheap price I claimed it for my vinyl collection.  Albeit strange sounding, it's a good album will some excellent musicians who went on to have illustrious musical careers in other realms.  This is a weird psychedelic relic of the sixties--just my kind of thing.





Roky Erickson is one of those artists who became a quest for me as I scoured record stores across the country.  I became a fan of his group 13th Floor Elevators in the late sixties, but didn't begin my quest for more of his music until the late eighties.  I've found several CDs and cassettes of Roky's music as well as all of the albums by the Elevators.   I think I found both "The Holiday Inn Tapes" (1987)   and "Casting the Runes"  (1987) at a record store in Texas.  Since the latter is a picture disc I figured that made it extra collectable.  Whatever the case, for raw rock and roll music Roky rocks.

   
          Is there anything in this post that you remember?   Do you have any albums that were made by people you know?    Did any of them achieve a decent level of fame or fortune?  










42 comments:

  1. You are correct - I do not own that album!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, if you are referring to "Easy Rider" it's probably unlikely that many if any copies exist outside East Tennessee.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. It's fun to dig up old music. I have about 200 Albums stuck at the back of a cupboard. Someday I'll climb up there and dig them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liza, you might want to check them out. If you can't listen and don't want to sell, sometimes the covers are nice for framing and putting on display.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I don't believe I've heard of any of those bands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, they are obscurities, but Erickson does have a worldwide cult following for his music.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. You're right, I don't own that album. Those were the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joylene, nothing says "Good old days" quite like vinyl records.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I don't own an album from anyone I know, but I do have a recording of a lass who were were friends with who was a pretty famous actress for a while. She has a lovely singing voice. I'm afraid I don't know any of your choices today.
    best wishes,
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings: YouTube - What They Don't Tell You (and free fiction)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha, putting out an album requires an investment and talent resources that are not easily accessible to many.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I have Enya, Eagles, and the soundtrack from Evita. Now I'll have Orinoco Flow running through my brain all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, Good choices! Evita is a favorite film for my wife and me and we both love the soundtrack.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I remember E-tickets! Cool that you have an album with a song you wrote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KJ, Actually the album doesn't contain a song I wrote, but a friend who was on the Easy Rider did a version of one of my songs to use on a blog "contest" I did once for my Battle of the Bands series.
      I miss the old lettered ticket days of Disney. Now it's so expensive that most of us will never enter their gates again.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Yet more stuff I don't know about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, we can learn so many new things from the A to Z posts throughout April.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I inherited a box full of vinyl records from my parents when they downsized from a house to a mobile lifestyle. I should go through them sometime and see what I have in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, I would have been digging in that box right after I'd gotten it. Please check it out and let us know what you find in it.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I bought a few vinals at thrift stores. My favorite is: An Evening with Windam Hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I used to listen to a lot of Windham Hill recordings back in the eighties. A co-worker introduced me to the music of George Winston and then I started exploring the rest of the Windham Hill catalog. Relaxing music.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Nope I don't know any of the music. Surely Easy Rider would be available on youtube? I'll investigate. Thanks Arlee ... yes, the EARS for listening ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, if Easy Rider Band is on YouTube I sure didn't find it. Some of the guys in the group have posted their individual efforts, but I don't think any of them posted that old band. I wish they would..

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I've started listening to audiobooks, and I know what you mean. In fact, I get so relaxed I fall asleep...

    Rather eclectic bunch of E albums ya got there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I used to listen to audiobooks while driving so I didn't want to fall asleep. Listening to the story kept me engaged enough where I stayed awake.

      Yeah, my E's are all over the place even though small in number.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Can’t say as I remember any of these bands, but I did click on the links you provided – thanks! “Autumn” was pretty cool. Seems like you just don’t hear many wind instruments these days. Great American Eagle Tragedy was interesting. They remind me of another band I can’t recall the name of. While stationed in England for several years, my dad played (drums and vocals) in (of all things) a country band called the Tune Twisters. They were popular with the locals and produced one album. I was their biggest fan ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, Earth Opera had connections with some other groups like Seatrain so there are undoubtedly similarities with other groups. It's an Americana style that has been popularized by many groups.
      How cool about your Dad's group. You had better have been a big fan!

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Ellis is familiar, but I'm not sure I've listened to all of the others.
    Way to go with A to Z, Arlee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tyrean, Ellis was fairly mainstream jazz I guess. He wrote the scores for The French Connection films. The others are even more obscure.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. You´re right! I don´t have any of the mentioned albums, especially the one your friends recorded. Did you write a song for them? that´s pretty awesome!
    Also, I haven´t heard an audiobook ever, but I´d love if in the future any of my stories became an audiobook.

    https://steampunkcowunicorn.wordpress.com/2022/04/06/e-is-for-euthanasia/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absenta, no, the song I wrote was recorded by a friend of mine who was in that Easy Rider band. He recorded my song by himself on his I phone.

      Having a book on audiobook is great for those who don't or can't read. Hope you get a book on audio one day.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. What a great theme for the A-Z, Arlee! I'll have to go down and look at my vinyl collection. My brain is tired this morning because I fell down a rabbit hole last night listening to Queen, Radiohead, and KD Lang. Not albums, but on YouTube. What flashed into my mind when I saw this post was a giant E for Elvis. The first album I ever bought was Elvis's Blue Hawaii. I was 12 and living in Sioux Lookout in northwestern Ontario. It cost four dollars and some cents. I had to put it on layaway at the drugstore until I earned enough money babysitting to pay for it. I love it today. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fundy Blue, I love falling down those musical rabbit holes. I do this often. KD Lang is one of my favorites. She has such a beautiful voice and has some great songs on her albums.
      Layaway! I never put anything on layaway, but had friends that used to do it all the time. I guess credit cards changed that for most people.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. “E” is most definitely for ELECTIC, as this has to be the most eclectic collection ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, yes, that's the best word to describe my collection as well as my tastes in music.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. Oh! Hello! A fellow Roky Erickson fan! He's always playing at our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deniz, Yay! Let's hear it for Roky! He had a rocky life for sure, but he left us with an interesting catalog of music.

      Lee

      Delete
  19. I still have my old vinyl records from many years back. For E, I have Sheena Easton and England Dan and John Ford Coley. Of course, I've always liked the Eagles, but alas, I don't have any of their vinyl. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I don't have any that you mention on vinyl or otherwise except for The Eagles which I have on CD and maybe cassette. I've lost track of so much of my music.

      Lee

      Delete
  20. You got me on all of those albums, but since you were from east Tennessee, did Government Cheese or Jason and the Scorchers ever come your way? I think they were from Kentucky. I spent 10 year in Nashville from mid-80s to mid-90s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyanne, I recall those group names, but I don't recall them coming to East Tennessee. Of course, I was mostly gone from that area after 1975 or so. I visited frequently, but didn't go to many concerts or keep up with the local scene after I left. I do remember some friends talking about going to get free government cheese, but they just wanted to supplement the food they had at home.

      Lee

      Delete
  21. I actually own most of ELO's albums and love that group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, you might have thought I would have definitely had ELO on vinyl but I guess I felt I didn't need any of their albums. I've since remedied with this with at least one CD by the group.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee