This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, April 8, 2022

Good Music from the G Spot of my Collection ( #AtoZChallenge ) ( #BOTB Results )

        Good music is what I search for and that is mainly what I have kept in my collection after over fifty years of accumulating vinyl LPs.  Of course it's all a matter of opinion, but I don't think there is a bad album in this post--or any of this year's posts.



#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter        Gershwin is gone from my vinyl records, but he's been amply replaced in my CD shelves.  Same with Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, one of the greatest albums ever in my view--I've added the deluxe CD version of that one.  I never replaced my copy of the first Grand Funk Railroad album, which I like a lot.   But there is still a healthy representation of good albums under the letter G.  Just look and listen...


Links to the music are included throughout the post if you want to hear the music.




  Groundhogs  "Thank Christ for the Bomb"  (1970)  After the Groundhogs caught my attention when I heard them on a local radio station (kind of surprising to hear them on a Knoxville area broadcast), I checked out the University of Tennessee bookstore to see if they had the album that I had already sampled and there it was.   I bought the album at full price and never regretted it.  This is a dynamite group that certainly should have gotten more recognition than it did.  But at least I added one of their albums to my collection and have no intent on getting rid of it.




Grapefruit  "Deep Water" (1969)  Once I had purchased my copy of Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia in 1969 it became a guide for me to find interesting rock albums.  This now limited scope compendium provided me with hours of reading about rock music at the time and led me to purchase albums like this one by Grapefruit, the first group signed to the Beatles' Apple label.  I used to think that maybe they actually were the Beatles or maybe Badfinger undercover.  They weren't and they didn't last as long as Badfinger.  Still, they were a good group.  My friend Marvin scored their first album in a cut-out bin and that was a decent album.  So when I saw their second album in cut-outs, I grabbed it.  This is a decent album with some psychedelic sounds that found an appreciative audience with me.


Stephane Grappelli and Yehudi Menuhin  "Jalousie"  (1973)  I first heard about this album on an NPR show on the Knoxville university radio station.  As a violinist and aficionado of string music, I had become well aware of the legendary jazz fiddle player Stephane Grappelli who had achieved international acclaim with his work with the great guitarist Django Reinhardt.  Likewise, Yehudi Menuhin was well-known to even a young violin player like me.  The team of these two pairing up to play classic standard pop tune by the likes of Gershwin, Porter, Kern, and others seemed like a must have for my collection.  I paid a premium price for this one brand new and it's well worth keeping.



Guess Who "American Woman" (1970)  I found this album at a used record store on Cumberland Avenue in Knoxville sometime in the eighties.  Naturally I was very familiar with the hits from this album and like the music well enough to buy this album.  Definitely worth owning a copy because this is great rock and roll music.



Grateful Dead  "Anthem of the Sun"  (1968)  Before I really knew much about The Grateful Dead I found this album in a cut-out bin (in Big K I believe) and bought it for 99 cents.  It had a pretty cover, some long songs, and I figured it must have some kind of status.  Even though I didn't know their music at the time, I had heard about the group.  It's kind of a weird album even for me.  It's the only Dead album I have on vinyl though I've gotten a few since on CD.  Not that I'm a "Dead Head" by any means, but I like a good music library.



Good Rats           The Good Rats (1969)  One day in spring of 1970 when I was attending the University of Tennessee, I was in the Undergraduate Library perusing about and ran across a magazine that focused on classical music.  Oddly, in the review section, they had a piece about the first Good Rats album and gave it some high marks.  Since it was coming from a classical music magazine I figured the album was respectable enough for me to seek out.  I checked the University Bookstore, where I typically went to look for the more obscure albums, and sure enough they had a copy which I bought and enjoyed for several years.  Never heard anything more about the group until 1981 when I started running across many of their later albums in the cassette cut-outs.  Now obsessed, I found every other album they made and discovered that they were all better than that first album I had purchased ten years earlier.  Later I acquired LP versions of many of those cassettes as well as one on CD.  I haven't purchased many albums in recent years, but the most recent one was the "Good Rats...Live at Last" album which I bought at a used record store that my youngest daughter Angie took me to maybe 5 years ago or so.  When I saw this double album still unopened and for only $5 I figured I should spring for that.  This is one of the best live albums ever and the Rats are one of the best rock groups ever.  Many who have discovered this group are likely to agree with me.  You can listen and make up your own mind.



Rick Grech  "The Last Five Years"  (1973)   "Second Generation Woman" with Family  &  "Sea of Joy" with Blind Faith.   I couldn't find the entire album on YouTube but I've linked to a couple of tracks.  This is a compilation of some of the best songs by a virtuoso who has played with a number groups and artists.  I was familiar with his work as violinist and bass player for the supergroup Blind Faith.  This album has some excellent songs taken from other albums.



Benny Goodman "Trio, Quartet, Quintet"  (reissued 1968)  Of course I'd heard of Benny Goodman my whole life, but I didn't have that much of a deep interest in his music until I started college.  When I saw this album listed in a discount cut-out catalog that I used to get in the mail I figured it would be a worthy addition to my record collection.  The bargain price was definitely an incentive to buy.   A lot of great songs performed by Benny's small ensembles.  


Battle of the Bands Results


     My Battle was "Stormy Monday" as done by The Candymen and The McCoys.   I really like both of these.  Listening after over 50 years, The Candymen sounded much better than I remember.  Going in I figured I'd be voting for the McCoys, but in the final analysis I decided I liked the Candymen a tad better.

Final Vote Tally        

 The Candymen       5 votes

The McCoys            6 votes


Next Battle on May 1st

        But there's still more alphabet to go for the A to Z.  Tune in tomorrow!


 







29 comments:

  1. I've heard of The Grateful Dead and Benny Goodman, but I am clueless about the rest, I'm afraid. For G I think my favourite artists are Gackt (Japanese rocker) and Gunship (New Wave) - they did a vid all about vampires based on The Lost Boys, so how could I not love them, but there music is awesome to.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings: YouTube - What They Don't Tell You (and free fiction)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha, you've got me on your favorites--never heard of either.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Grapefruit--now that's new to me. I was born then, but am familiar with a lot of 60s music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, most people haven't heard of Grapefruit. It's a band that got a push from their label, but they never took hold with American audiences.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I wore through two copies of the Grateful Dead's American Beauty album, and three of Workingman's Dead. A couple of their works are almost pristine because they didn't get played.

    Benny Goodman came later in my life, so no albums from him. Two of the Thundering Herd though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I've got some "pristine" albums for the same reason. After the seventies I didn't play vinyl that often so many of my records didn't get that much play.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I am clueless about the music here. I did like the cleverness of your title. Also, listened to Anthem of the Sun just now and liked it.

    Visiting from atoz:http://namysaysso.com/blog/guilt-napowrimo/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Namratha, yeah, I thought it was a clever title. Most people won't know much of my music.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. You have some great albums here, Lee! And I'm jazzed that you're familiar with the band Grapefruit, as I didn't know their popularity extended beyond the UK and continental Europe. I still have their first album, AROUND GRAPEFRUIT and love Dear Delilah. American Woman is also in the album rack. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, I'd expect you to know more of my music than many other readers. Sadly, Grapefruit never got the hype they got elsewhere. A friend of mine still has the Around Grapefruit album, but I never found it in anywhere.

      Guess Who is such an outstanding group and this album is really strong release.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I offer Gershwin (lots of Gershwin), Vern Gosdin, and more Gregorian Chants (Christmas chants this time). I was surprised to find I no longer have any Benny Goodman...I must have given it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, Gershwin is great. One of our true American treasures.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Grappelli was amazing. I saw him in Toronto and, feeble as he was (I think he was in his 80's) he still played like The Hot Club in the '30's.

    The Guess Who was a great band. They're still going with no one from the original lineup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, I'd like to have seen Grappelli. I saw where he was listed on the marquee of a grand old theater in Denver one year when I was there, but I wasn't able to fit that concert into my schedule.

      Guess Who did some fantastic songs. Now with all the old guys gone from the group I guess you really do have to "guess who".

      Lee

      Delete
  8. American Woman, now let me be-e.

    Love that song. My girlfriend's younger brother used to listen to Benny Goodman records. This, of course, was another lifetime ago. All best to you, Arlee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, Such a song it was! Benny Goodman and his sidemen played some amazing music.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I think the only song I have on that list is American Woman and that was on a soundtrack. But I guess Amazon does have most of the Good Rats on MP3 now. Maybe it's on iTunes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PT, Good Rats need to live on! They have some great music in their catalog as well as one of the best live rock albums ever.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. The "American Woman" album is very important to this (me) Burton Cummings fan (fanatic), because that is where we find "Talisman."

    Now, I am going to show you a couple of videos. First up is a live set from The Johnny Carson Show, of a couple of tunes, "Dawgma" and "Swing '39" as performed by Stephane and a touring version of The David Grisman Quintet. This band played a brand of music they called Dawg Music. This was a combination of bluegrass and jazz.
    (Incidentally, this is the same same David Grisman who who later tour with Jerry Garcia, of The Grateful Dead.)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIbL9uw139s

    Appearing in this set are...
    Mike Marshall : Mandola
    Staphane Grappelli : Violin
    Rob Wasserman : Upright Bass
    David Grisman : Mandolin
    Mark O'Connor : Guitar

    This next one, is from an album called David Grisman "Hot Dawg." Stephane play on two songs on the disc. What makes this one so absolutely mind blowing (and historic) is the presence of Tony Rice, who many consider to be the best acoustic guitar player of all time. Stephane's opening break goes straight into Tony's break. That three minutes changed my life, over 40 years ago.

    The name of the song is "16... 16"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE6forNnhKQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I remember this Dawg music period. This is sublime stuff. I mentioned in an earlier comment that I had run across Grappelli playing at a theater in Denver in 1981. This was when he was touring with Grisman of whom I was already a fan. Thanks for the links. This music is amazing.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Wow, Grapefrut was sweet! (sorry for the pun) they have a nice sound and the tambourine makes it great to listen to. American Woman, a great classic. I heard it first as a cover from Lenny Kravitz, one of the singers I loved to listen to as a teen, but the original has its charm; and Grateful dead´s over is simply awesome!
    https://steampunkcowunicorn.wordpress.com/2022/04/08/g-is-for-gargoyle/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absenta, Grapefruit came in the wake of the Beatles success and were kind of carrying the torch--or intended to. I have the Lenny Kravitz album with "American Woman" on CD. Glad you enjoyed the music!

      Lee

      Delete
  12. TERRIFIC Battle, LEE. One of your best recently, IMO, and the 1-vote differential between the winner and loser seems to indicate this.

    Goot job! I enjoyed BOTH recordings and it was a tough call for me to make.

    I'll be around with my two cents for your next Battle on May 1st.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, yeah, "Stormy Monday" is a standard that usually doesn't get too screwed up and two evenly matched bands of the era. Also, it was kind of tough for me to decide which to vote for so that indicates that the competition was good.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Guess Who and Grateful Dead - anytime! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, they are classic groups with a lot of good music on their albums.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. My mom was a huge fan of Big Band music. It was the music of her high school years, so I grew up listening to Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, and the like and therefore felt it was only fair that MY kids had to listen to Doobie Brothers, Styx, Frampton, Kansas, Foreigner, et al.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyanne, my kids were certainly subjected to my music, but I think my tastes influenced them to some extent. Just like my parents and your parents did for us.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. I have heard of Benny Goodman, Grateful Dead and The Guess Who who sre excellent but not the rest. I have a couple of Judy Garland albums including Live at Carnegie Hall. Your BOTB was a good one. Very close match.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee