This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Plenty of Albums in this Post ( #AtoZChallenge )

       Plenty of albums will be found in this post.  Not as many as some posts, but more than the preceding post or the next post.  For P we have a piddling plethora. 

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter       I'm a bit puzzled that I allowed my Gram Parsons album to leave my possession--I really liked that album a lot.  However, the letter P holds a place of prominence in my collection.  Just look at the P's please...


Links to the music are included throughout the post if you want to hear the music.




Alan Parsons Project  "Eye in the Sky"  (1982)  The first time I heard the song "Eye in the Sky" I was sitting in a grocery store parking lot on a June day in Billings Montana.  To me it was one of the greatest songs I'd ever heard at the time and it remains high on my list of favorite songs.  At the time I went right out and purchased a copy of the Parsons Project album on cassette.  Later I got the vinyl and eventually the CD.  This is such a splendid album in my opinion.  Even though I have copies in cassette and CD, the vinyl album package looks beautiful and it means a lot to me so I intend to keep it.  


Peace and Quiet  (1971)   When I saw this album cheaply priced in a cut-out bin the front cover art immediately slapped me into attention.  And I liked the name of the band.  Flipping the album over I looked at the credits to see that Jerry Goodman (I knew him from The Flock and Mahavishnu Orchestra) played violin on some of the cuts.  Album sold!  By now you should know me and my affinity for the violin if you've been following my posts.  This is an album of excellent Southern Rock music and it's probably not a very common album to find so I think it's worth keeping.



Prince  "Around the World in a Day"  (1985)  When I saw this album in a cut-out bin in a discount book store on Kingston Pike in Knoxville TN, I was drawn to the cover art which depicts a colorful array of strange characters including a juggler and a violinist--that would have been enough for me to buy the album.  There's no indication who the artist is on the outer sleeve and I would have not known who the album was by had it not been for a small sticker on the cellophane wrap indicating that the album was by Prince.  Since the price was right I added this album to my purchases for that day.  The music is interesting and the album contains two major Prince hits "Raspberry Beret" and "Pop Life".    I decided to keep this album.  Besides I've only listened a few times and might want to listen more later.




Plasterscene Replicas   "Glow"  (1988)  If you don't know this group then it's no surprise since I'd never heard of them before acquiring the album in 1988 and hadn't heard of them since.  They are one of those indie pop bands a la REM and other similar bands.  The album was sent to me by their agency which also handled the Tragically Hip, a Canadian band that I was considering booking some tour dates for.  The agency wanted me to consider both bands.  It would have been a good show line-up, but I never managed to follow through on booking a tour.  But I did get this album and since it has a story for me and the music is good, I'm keeping this album in my collection.




Pink Floyd  "The Wall" (bootleg concert recording) (1980?)  This is an unofficial concert album that if memory serves me correctly I found in a Chicago area used record store in 1981.  It's well recorded though limited in any jacket information or credits.  At the same time I bought another bootleg concert album by David Bowie that I wish I had kept.  At least I kept this Pink Floyd album and since it's the only Pink Floyd  that I still have on vinyl I figure I should keep it for now.



Potliquor  "Levee Blues"  (1971)  I seem to recall hearing Pot Liquor's "The Train" on the radio and liked it enough to buy the album.  Most likely since it was not a common album to find in most stores that sold records, I probably bought it for full retail price at the University of Tennessee Bookstore.  This is some hard rocking Southern boogie blues music.  This was the band's second album and they made others after this one, but this is the only one that I can ever recall seeing in record stores.  This is a solid rocking album that is worth having in a collection.



The Police "Ghost in the Machine"  (1981)     "Message in a Box"  (Police complete recordings CD box set) (1993)   I was a fan of The Police from the beginning of their career.  There was something about their new wave punk reggae that appealed to me during the late seventies and I started buying their albums on cassette.  In 1982 my wife-to-be Susan and I went to the arena in Richmond VA to see the "Ghost in the Machine" concert with The Police headlining and The Go-Go's as the opening act.  It was a great concert filled with energy with a massive crowd.  The Police is a band with a sound and songs that I still enjoy.  Nothing to get rid of here, folks, so move on. 





Petra  "Captured in Time and Space"   (1985)   Though I recall hearing a story about the Christian rock group Petra on the CBS Sixty Minutes show sometime in the seventies, I didn't start taking a strong interest in Contemporary Christian Music until 1985 after tuning in to a radio show that was featuring the genre late one night as I was driving down I-95 in Northern Virginia.  The outstanding songs that I can still remember hearing that night were by Joe English Band and Petra.  Soon after that night I went out to search for those artists and rapidly became a big Contemporary Christian Music fan.  I have many Petra cassettes and a few of their albums on CD, but this live performance is the only vinyl LP by the group that is in my collection.  I also have the same album on video where you can see and hear why this album is so good.  This is one of my favorite concert albums and well worth keeping.


      Which of these artists do you have in your own music collection?   Do you have a favorite among these artists and albums?    What are your favorite artists beginning with the letter P?












35 comments:

  1. We actually have several of those. (Albums now gone but we made mp3s of all of them.) Definitely keep the bootleg Pink Floyd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, most of the albums in this post are definitely more mainstream.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Love the cover art!

    Ronel visiting for the A-Z Challenge My Languishing TBR: P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronel, there is so much interesting artwork on album covers.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I am familiar with three and a half of them, Petra is the half because I never owned any of their work.

    I am pretty sure that the first album I bought was Pink Floyd's Meddle.
    "Echoes" struck a chord with me, as did Alan Parsons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I remember seeing the ads for Meddle when it first came out. I was curious, but still not ready to invest my pennies in Pink Floyd at that time.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. There is both familiar and unfamiliar stuff to me in this post. I remember liking "Eye in the Sky" when it first came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, "Eye in the Sky" is a great song I think.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. These are some of my favorites.

    The Alan Parsons Project was fantastic and that album haunts me still. Takes me back to a very different time.

    Prince of course is, well, Prince. In a class by himself.

    Pink Floyd left a huge mark my psyche. I have, or more to the point had at one time, every album they had recorded. Even some rare stuff. The Wall is a masterwork but in many ways I still prefer Dark Side of the Moon. Interestingly DSotM was produced by Alan Parsons.

    The Police. I could spend entire posts about them. And I have in the past. One of my all time favorite groups.

    I knew "P" was going to be a good day here.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | The A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timothy, yes, this post does have some absolute gems--classic artists of Rock. I liked The Police from the first time I heard "Roxanne" back in the late 70s.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. My husband is a huge Pink Floyd fan, and we both love a bit of Alan Parsons. As for another artist we like - Pink springs to mind.
    Best Wishes
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings: YouTube - What They Don't Tell You (and free fiction)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha, Pink has done some good music. I never bought any of her albums though.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I know this is a shocking confession, but I haven't any Pink Floyd in my music collection. If I'm ever able to go to a vinyl store again, I'd love to buy some of their albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Carrie-Anne, start with "Dark Side of the Moon" it is their most approachable from a newbie perspective.

      Delete
    2. Carrie-Anne, For any decent collection of Rock vinyl Pink Floyd is a must. Their albums were made for the vinyl experience. Dark Side of the Moon was the first Pink Floyd album I ever bought and was pretty much sold on their music after that.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. So many "P" artists/groups. I have Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Final Cut" on CD. Haven't had any LP's in a long time; a lot of them were ruined in a flood years ago. I am happy vinyl never went extinct. CD's just don't have the room for the cover art and liner notes I remember loving as a child. I would save my allowance to buy an LP and those albums were so precious to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alana, the cover art on LPs was so great. I would read the liner notes over and over and study the credits listing who played on the album. Have lyrics was an added bonus. Vinyl LPs had so much to offer that usually one doesn't find in the same way with cassettes or CDs. Reading credits on most of those formats can really strain the eyesight.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I have Pink Floyd and The Police in my collection, but I'm familiar with Alan Parsons and Prince.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I should hope you are familiar with Alan Parsons and Prince. Why don't you have any of their music in your collection?

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Plenty to love in here!
    Pink Floyd are my all time favourite band, but I love Prince & Alan Parsons too.
    As a recommendation may I suggest a bit of Paul Weller, in particular his eponymous debut solo album.

    Visiting from Facing The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dino, Paul Weller? Now you've got me wondering. I think maybe I have one of his CDs from the 90s. Hmmm--I guess one might have too many recordings when they lose track of what they have. I'm sure I have many albums that only got 1 or 2 plays as well as some that never got played.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Now that was a variety!I loved the Police early on, and then again later with Synchronicity. The live video of APP Old and Wise with the orchestra is a tear jerker. I wasn't all that absorbed in CCM, surprisingly enough, but one of my most favorites was another Petra song, More Power To Ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I listened to a lot of Police music in the eighties. When the box CD set arrived on the scene I felt that I had to add it to my collection even though I wasn't listening to music that often. It's a great box set to have though.
      After the mid-eighties I guess I became a bit obsessed with CCM--but then as with the rest of music I didn't follow or listen much in this current century.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I'm SURE that you will have heard of the band PFM, but I used to like them back in the day and I still have one or two of their albums in my "P" album section. Back in the "J's" I should have remembered that they were another of the rare bands that featured a rock flautist.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrZNUEps6Y4

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. six-gun, this is a new band to me. I like their sound. It's like something I would have definitely listened to. I keep learning about artists that I have missed along the way. I used to think I was basically well informed about music, but there is new stuff continually coming to my attention.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. “Nothing to get rid of here, folks. So move on.” Ha! I like the Police too ;-)
    Odd how the one guy on the Prince album cover is wearing a mask…I always liked “When doves cry”

    I was inside a grocery store, staring at an item placed too high for me to reach. I looked around and just as I started to climb the shelves “Eye in the Sky” came on whatever station stores usually play. Still like the song, never forgot the experience ;-)

    Is it just me or does “The Wall” have even more relevance now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, the film of The Wall is such a cool experience and yes I think the music is maybe more relevant now. Either way Pink Floyd spoke to the ages in their music and with their message.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. My copy of The Wall was a cassette my dad had taped off a friend, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have Pentatonix, Pavarotti (Ti Amo), Paganini performed by Midori, Robert Palmer, the sound track from Philadelphia, and the soundtrack from Phantom of the Opera. And Edith Paif (La legende). My goodness! I could play these all day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, you've got a nice assortment under the letter P.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. "Eye In The Sky" and "The Wall" were big when I was in college. Never been much of a Prince fan, but Sting? Oh, yeahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyanne, I never got into Prince that much either. I had the Purple Rain album on cassette, but that was it. I have several of Sting's solo albums. He gets into some interesting music.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee