This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Thursday, April 21, 2022

Round Discs of Plastic ( #AtoZChallenge )

    Round discs of plastic is what one might see when looking at vinyl records.  But there is magic in the grooves of that plastic.  What a great invention the vinyl record was!


#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter        My record purges got rid of albums by The Rascals, Lou Rawls, and Leon Russell, but at least I've got their music on CD and cassette.  My Rachmaninoff  vinyl may be gone but it's been replaced by some better albums by that Russian composer.  A few R vinyl LPs are gone, but most I have kept as you can see to follow...


Links to the music are included throughout the post if you want to hear the music.




Rig  (1970)  "Rig Selections"  "Have a Cigar"    I wish there was more on YouTube from this album as this has always been among my favorites. At least you can listen to a few cuts from this album.  When not in classes at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, I could often be found in the University Bookstore perusing the record bins.  They had one of the better record selections in Knoxville at the time, including a lot of records not easily found elsewhere.  I was intrigued enough by this album by Rig until I finally broke down to spend the big bucks to buy it full retail price.  The album became one of my favorites.  It's nice country rock pop.  It still sounds good to me.  Probably always will. 


Rich Mountain Tower (1971)   This was one terrific group that came out of Knoxville TN in the seventies.  Oddly, although I was living near Knoxville at the time, the first I heard of this group was reading about them in a Washington DC newspaper when I was visiting with a friend.  In a very positive review of their debut album I learned about this group and how their album was the first (or maybe one of the first) album to be released in Quadraphonic sound--at least that's what the review had said. When I got back home to Maryville TN I went out and bought a copy of the record.  And I was so happy that I did.  This is great mostly acoustic flavored rock with a country tinge.  Knoxville should be very proud of this group.  They didn't release many albums after this, but they are local music legends.  Sadly, though the album has achieved critical acclaim over the years, the Rich Mountain Tower debut album is mostly forgotten and neglected.  You should treat your ears and mind and give this album a listen.  Maybe you will like it as much as I do.  I maintain that it is one of the best rock albums of the early seventies. 




Todd Rundgren  "Runt: The Ballad of Todd Rundgren" (1971)  I think there is general agreement among those who know their music that Todd Rundgren is a musical genius.  He has put out so much great music of his own as well as producing a slew of great music for other artists.  Listen to this early album of his and you might agree.  Genius or whatever, this is a wonderful album that I discovered in a cut-out bin for a steal.  I'm keeping this one.




Rebecca and the Sunny Brook Farmers  "Birth"  (1969)  This was a cool find in the cut-outs.  It was very inexpensive and very interesting.  This is psychedelia with a touch of Joplin at times. Oh, and the group has a viola player--almost like a violin and that was enough for me.  Soon after I bought this album I realized the violist was the same one who played on the Doobie Brothers hit "Black Water".  If you've been following all of my April posts you might remember my mention of Ilene Novog who went under the stage name of Novi.  After Rebecca's sunny crew broke up, three members went on to become the group Chunky, Novi, and Ernie.  But back to the "Birth" album, there's fine playing, decent vocals, variety of substance, and enjoyable songs.  I like this album so I'm not likely to get rid of it.


Cliff Richard   "We Don't Talk Anymore"  (1979)    "Walking in the Light" (1984)   I thought that the song "We Don't Talk Anymore" was such a great song that I went out and bought the vinyl.  It was during a brief period when I was living off the road and listening to records again.  This album is a very good album that evokes memories of a complex time of my life.  The "Walking in the Light" album I purchased at a previously mentioned discount bookstore in West Knoxville TN with a number of other cut-out albums. This was during the time of my life when I was buying a lot of Contemporary Christian Music.   Cliff Richard is a pro who had a long career in music so I think his albums deserve a place in my album line-up.


The Rockets  (1968)  This group's mention caught my attention from Neil Young's song "Running Dry (Requiem for the Rockets)",   At first I thought it was part of some kind of Neil Young mythology until I discovered this was the root group that turned into Young's back up band Crazy Horse.  The first time I ran across this LP in the cut-out bins was at the Big K in Alcoa TN and for some nutty reason I didn't buy it.  When I went back to buy it, the album was gone.  For months after that I searched cut-out bins all over with a special eye for this album.  Eventually in late June of 1971, I found a copy of the album in the bargain record bin at a big variety store in downtown Morgantown WV.  At the time I was visiting my grandparents and traveling by bus.  I had to package up the record and mail it home.  I was concerned whether the record would make it okay and fortunately it did and I have it to this day.  After all of that effort there's no way I'd give this one up.  Even though I eventually found a CD copy from Amazon.



Rotary Connection  "Aladdin"  (1968)  I had read about this group in Lillian Roxon's "Rock Encyclopedia" to which I used to refer often in 1970 and had made a mental note to be on the lookout for their albums.  Then there it was in the Big K cut-out bins!  I got it, loved it, listened to it a lot and eventually bought some of their other albums on CD.  Rotary Connection is a great group of vocalists who sing some impressive song arrangements.  


Richard Twice (1970)  I paid a dollar or less for this album procured from some unremembered cut-out bin--very likely Big K.  As I recall they had a number of  copies and it looked like an album I should have.  And I'm glad I bought it.  Reminiscent of Simon & Garfunkel, this sunny pop rock album carries me back to the seventies.  I've listened to this album so many times.  From the credits I recognized the names of well known session musicians known as the Wrecking Crew.  That suggested that the music would be high quality and indeed that what's on this record.  I never knew anything specific about this artist or this album until I was researching this post and then found this 10 minute video.  It's an interesting look at this musical history.






     Anything here you remember?   Do you ever wonder what happened to certain artists you listen to?  What are some favorite R groups for you?







30 comments:

  1. Nice selection there, Lee, and a few I’ve never heard of….🎶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, there are some interesting obscurities in this batch.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Alex, Todd Rundgren and Cliff Richard are both pretty notable artists.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Tod Rundgren is probably known by more musicians than listeners nowadays. A producer of many great albums, writer of some great songs, outstanding performer, and non genetic father of Liv Tyler.

    Lee Ritenour has his name in more albums that I have than on them. Originally with the Mamas and Papas, founder of Chicago, and great jazz guitarist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, So true--Rundgren is listed in so many album credits in addition to his own projects. Seeing him in concert was very special for me.

      I'm very familiar with Lee Ritenour's name, but I've never purchased any of his solo albums.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. A lot of stuff here that I have never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I've been giving you a music education of obscure artists.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Many I recognized and several had never heard of. I always wondered how long records could last - obviously quite a while as long as they are stored in dry area.
    Hope you are well Arlee.
    The Russian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moondust, and really I haven't been pristine with my vinyl. I always kept them in their covers, but they were in all sorts of different environments. Many of my records are over 50 years old now. Time will tell how long they can go if someone tends well to them. Then there's the question of the technology being around to play them. Not my concern though.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I think my farm girl young years kept my exposure to these pieces. You have opened my ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan K, could be. I don't know the farm experience. I was always on the lookout for new and interesting music.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. You definitely hit some way out stuff, obscurity wise! Cliff Richards was always top-notch. Loved Rundgren until he told us all if we didn't like his politics, don't come to his shows. In a bit when I get a chance, I want to check out some of these others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I won't be likely going to anyone's shows in the future, but it's financial and not political. They should keep quiet with their ideological things and play their music.

      There really is some cool music in the above links. And it's been nice to rediscover gems like Richard Twice.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Of course, I remember Todd Rundgren, who had his biggest hit, "Hello It's Me" in the '70's, and Cliff Richard had a big hit, "Devil Woman," during the same time period. I remember Rotary Connection from the albums they did with Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf, both of which were very strange, psychedelic versions of some of their most familiar songs. Still, you had Phil Upchurch, Minnie Riperton (a favorite with an R in the name), and Mitch Aliotta (who did "Lake Shore Drive" with Skip Haynes and John Jeremiah as, oddly enough, Aliotta Haynes & Jeremiah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, Rotary Connection had some strong musical connections. They really got around in the music scene. Loved their experimentation with pop covers.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I envy your collection �� I didn't have any records but I'll try to find my old cassettes now ��

    Hope you check out my A-Z challenge posts. I am starting every sentence of every post with the letter of the day at https://momandideas.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, and I envy anyone who has a nice turntable to play records on. I have tons of cassettes and I have several players throughout the house so those I can play.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. There is some really interesting and very good music here! Eye opening, for sure. Most... never heard of them. "Rebecca, et al" probably appealed to you a lot because of their violin player. I learned you love violins from this series.

    And I really liked Richard Twice. Heck, I liked him the first time (hardee har har.) I don't know who is who on the album cover, but the dude on the left looks like James Blunt (of "You're Beautiful" fame.) I am going to listen more to Twice.

    Sixgun McItchyF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-gun, seeing as how I had played violin when I was in elementary and middle school I was always on the lookout for music that featured a violin. Likewise my parents would buy some albums with violins featured. I definitely would have been swayed by the viola player, but the deeply discounted price played a big factor as well.

      Rediscovering Richard Twice has been a pleasant revelation for me. I used to listen to it a lot in the early 70s. Now it sounds even better to me.

      Did you listen to Rich Mountain Tower? To me that is a pretty great album. I'm listening to it as I type this.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Yes! Rich Mountain Tower is really good! They remind me of Buffalo Springfield or some of CSN. They are definitely a band I'd have liked if I had known about them back then.

      Six

      Delete
    3. 6-Gun, RMT definitely fits into that early 70s vein of the acoustic leaning harmony vocals group music like you mention. That's probably why I like them so much because I like that style of music. The group has some good players on that debut album. Never heard any of their follow up releases and don't know why they didn't make a bigger splash on the music scene, but that's the way of so many groups. They have to have the monetary push to drive them into the public eyes, but they also have to have the will to succeed. They probably failed on both accounts. I haven't heard much about any of the group members since this album.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Todd Rundgren is definitely familiar. I feel the same as you about Cliff Richard's song. Rich Mountain reminds me of another band, nice harmony. I used to have REO Speedwagon, still have a couple of Rush albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, Todd Rundgren has had a huge presence in the music industry though his own albums weren't immensely successful. Same with Cliff Richard in the States--He was a huge star in the UK but didn't make a big splash in America until his hits in the late 70s, but it was a sort of flash in the pan.

      Several years ago in the earlier part of the 21st century I went on a Rush binge buying up a good portion of their catalog on CD. I had bought a few of their albums on cassette in the 80s, but never became really into their music until I saw a concert in Rio performance by them on TV and was blown away. They did some great music in my opinion as did REO Speedwagon--I have their greatest hits on CD.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I don't recognize any of your albums in the Rs, Lee. I have a triple CD collection of Ravel (Pierre Boulez, conductor). That should count for several!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, Ravel racks some big points in my scoring. Impressionistic music like Debussy & Ravel is some of my favorite. Kudos for your good taste in music!

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Love "We Don't Talk Anymore." And Todd Rundgren.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Musically, Todd Rundgren has always been big hit or miss with me (i.e., the songs I like, I actually love; the others just don't do anything for me at all).

    But I have always loved that Todd Rundgren album cover. It would have been even better if it had been used for his album titled 'The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect'.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, Rundgren is like a musician's musician. I think most all of his music is technically interesting, but not always easily accessible. The earlier works were probably the better ones from the standpoint of pop music pleasure. Later he did some experimentation that wasn't always the most listenable stuff, but he was doing his thing I guess.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee