This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, April 9, 2022

Hard to Get Rid Of Albums ( #AtoZChallenge )

     Hard to get rid of albums that touch me in some personal way.  Whether it was the music that carried me through certain times of my life or a spark these albums light in my mind, some albums I hang onto while others have left my possession.   Whether here or gone away, the music in my life stays somewhere within me.



#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter           Hall & Oates, Heart, and Hendrix have been sold and are long gone.  Maybe I should have kept the H.P. Lovecraft album that gave me so much enjoyment over the years, but I didn't.  The rock history relics by The Herd and Hour Glass are now history as far as my collection is concerned.  Never fear though, there are still some pretty interesting albums left in section H...


Links to the music are included throughout the post if you want to hear the music.




Bonus Album!  On 8 Track Cartridge   Lee Hazelwood (and Nancy Sinatra)  "Nancy & Lee"  (1968)     My mother had gotten this through the Columbia Record Club in 1968 and I laid claim to it.  Even though the more known Nancy Sinatra was the main attraction of this album,  I consider it to be a Lee Hazelwood album thus I've put it under H.  Hazelwood produced the album and wrote some of the best songs on it.  And he sings in that deep voice.  Nancy may have had the star power, but Lee was the real creative force in this collaboration. 



George Harrison   "All Things Must Pass"  (1970)   Of all the solo Beatles albums this one is probably the best.  It's certainly my favorite.  There are so many sublime musical highlights in this three record set.  This was a Christmas gift from my mother in 1970.  Much treasured by me and with so many good memories of music listening pleasure.



Merle Haggard "A Tribute to the Best Damn Fiddle Player in the World (or, My Salute to Bob Wills)(1970)     I'm pretty sure my mother bought this for me as a Christmas present in 1970.  At the time I wasn't a big fan of country music, but I was appreciative especially if it had to do with fiddle playing.    This is a great collection of western swing music.  I liked this record back then, but now I have more respect for it.



Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks  "Striking It Rich" (1972) & "Last Train to Hicksville" (1973)   Memory now evades me as to when I first became aware of Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks, but I'm pretty sure I had seen them in 1974 on a television show like The Midnight Special.  I liked the campy hot jazz sound.   And they had two violin players!  So naturally I went out and bought the "Last Train" album which they had featured in their TV performance.   This is a great, great album!
         In 1981 I went to see Dan Hicks and his Acoustic Warriors at a bar in Grand Junction CO. At first I thought the guy was sloppy drunk.  The music was loose and amateurish sounding.  Then they started playing some of the most intricate amazing campy jazz music I'd ever heard live.  I realized the start was just part of the Dan Hicks schtick.  The guy is a fantastic musician
         Years later--around 1994 or so--I went to hear him again with a new line-up of the Hot Licks at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano CA.  They were highly polished and slick.  It was a flawless performance.  The dual violinists were back as well as other top notch musicians.  A group worth seeing if you ever have a chance.
         I bought the "Hicksville" album for full price back when I first heard the group on television.  Sometime somewhere in the eighties I ran across the "Striking It Rich" album in a used record store. Had to buy it.  It's another good one.


The Hello People  "Hello People" (1968) and "Fusion" (1968)  In the early seventies I used to see the "Fusion" album at my friends Rick and Bill Page's house and it always intrigued me and I liked the sound.  Later, I saw both of the above pictured  Hello People albums in cut-outs and grabbed them both.  Two magical albums by one of the more unique groups of rock history.  In May of 1972 I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of the opening acts for Alice Cooper at the Knoxville Civic Auditorium was going to be Todd Rundgren backed by the Hello People. It was a great concert with them coming first, followed by the solid rock and roll of the group Free, and closing with the outstanding theatrics of Alice Cooper.  However, for my personal tastes the highlight of the show was that opening act of Todd Rundgren and the Hello People.  These albums revive a heavy dose of music memories for me.

        


Hard Meat "Through a Window" (1970)   When I used to scour the record bins in the University of Tennessee Bookstore, there were certain albums I would keep stopping at to consider and then keep going.  Money was tight at the time and this record store was more expensive that mainstream stores, but they had some of the more interesting selections that I never saw elsewhere.  This Hard Meat album was one that I would always stop at and think "Should I buy or not?"  I thought the name was weird and figured the music might not be something I would like.  Then finally I succumbed. Maybe I had some extra money or something.  Whatever the case, I bought it.  So glad that I did.  This is some solid prog rock with a more acoustic bent in the guitars and some tasteful playing throughout.  Good songs by outstanding players.


          Are you familiar with any of these albums?    Have you seen any of these artists in concert?  What are some of your favorite H artists? 








38 comments:

  1. Your posts contain so much interesting information. Surely, I'll be a regular visitor here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got rid of Heart and Hendrix? 😲 I remember Nancy & Lee and of course, George Harrison. You have talked about Hello People and Fusion before but Hard Meat is unfamiliar. Gave it a listen and I like it.👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, I tended to get rid of the more mainstream artist albums. I figured those would always be easy to find if I wanted the music and I already had albums by such artists in my cassettes and CDs. Hard Meat is quite an excellent group in the vein of Cream, but lighter sounding.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Hard Meat? Now there is a funny band name. And yet another I did not know about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, the name put me off of buying the album, but the cover was interesting and I had heard one song from the album and had liked it quite a lot.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I am not familiar with any of these albums, but I had a sheltered album experience when I was younger. First of all we had nothing to play them on and secondly, I didn't have much money to buy them. In addition, we could only get one radio station that had a limited selection of music, so I didn't know what was out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L&L, lack of funds is what kept me from amassing more albums and sticking mostly to the cut-out bins. Access to over the air music and television was something we all faced prior to the eighties.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean on that Hard Meat story. I remember as a young teen feeling that same way whenever I was searching the Kings Dpt store record section and saw Hall and Oates' Abandoned Luncheonette. Also, what a name for a band! Geez, as subtle as "Big Head Todd and the Monsters!" BTW, I did, at long last, come up with part 1 of my annual mashup, which goes live Monday morning. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I'll have to remember to make it to your site on Monday!

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Hi Arlee,

    George Harrison is the only artist I recognize. As for any H artist - the only name that comes to my mind is Haddaway. But then again, I have only heard What is Love by him. My music choices were largely influenced by my dad who loved Paul Anka, Beatles, ABBA and then I was into boybands like BoysIIMen, Take That, 911, Backstreet Boys, Boyzone, and Blue. Then it was Hard Rock...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swati, I've never heard of Haddaway, but he came out at the time when my pursuit of music was lessening. Job and kids were my priority and whatever music I bought was through the record club selections. Most of us go through musical transformations in what interests us. I've gone through many stages.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. My brother, who was on of the biggest Beatles fan ever, gave a a cassette copy of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass". You are right, it is one of the best albums ever recorded.

    Any time I hear it I think of Mike and miss him a little more again.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | The A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timothy, I think many will agree on the greatness of the Harrison album.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. You're making me think that I should probably sift out a few LPs that I either don't play or don't particularly like, but then I think it would be too hard, so I'll carry on in blissful denial for a while longer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dino, if you need the room you might want to do that, but then albums don't take up all that much room. Most of the time if you sell them you don't get what you think they would be worth. I'd say sift through the LPs for the memories and then keep them if they are in decent condition.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I have not seen any of your mentioned artists in concert, in fact I have not been to many concerts. Although the ones I have been to I very much enjoyed. I think for H I will have to go for HIM and Hyde (another Japanese rocker) as my favourites.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings: YouTube - What They Don't Tell You (and free fiction)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha, concerts became so expensive from the eighties onward that it can be difficult to fit them into a budget. I likely went to more concerts in the seventies than I did in the 80s, 90s, and onward combined. More new Hs to me, but not surprising if they came out in recent decades.


      Lee

      Delete
  10. Thanks again for the Visit Mr B . . . . Quite agree about the George Harrison's All Things Must Pass album. I haven't heard of some of the others. It is always interesting to see who is well known in the US but not in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, We're getting a consensus on the Harrison album box, but I would have expected that. I'm surprised at times about the U.S. acts that are more known in Europe than in the U.S.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I've enjoyed all of these artists! Your praise of Lee Hazelwood is well-deserved. I kind of liked Hootie and the Blowfish - really the voice of Darius Rucker. I know it wouldn't count, but do you remember the soundtrack for Heavy Metal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. diedre, Lee Hazelwood had a big influence in the late sixties, but a lot of people now don't recognize his name. I never bought any Hootie & Co's music, but I've enjoyed hearing it over the years. I remember the film name Heavy Metal but never saw it nor have I heard that album to my knowledge.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I'm not familiar with these, but I could never get rid of my collection of John Denver albums. I would save and save and bought up the whole catalog one album at a time. My kids can get rid of them when I die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyanne, I never had any John Denver in my collecton until I bought a boxed CD set. I always liked his music. I tried to buy whole catalogs of a number of artists that I liked a lot. I don't know where my collection will end up, but I'm not planning to dispose of it on my own. Not yet at least.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. For H I just have Peter Hollens (a capella) and a couple of Vladimir Horowitz. I'm realizing I have a wide range of interests when it comes to music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, Vladmir I know of, but Peter Hollens doesn't ring a bell with me. I think eclectic taste in everything shows a person who is intellectually curious about many things.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Very familiar with the George Harrison and Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks albums. "Striking It Rich" has been one of my faves for about 50 years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Holton, Dan Hicks always has such great musicians working with him.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. A long time fan of Dan Hicks. It was never an acquired taste, always seemed to be the real thing. His neo-Vaudeville act was outstanding.

    I sent a link of "I Scare Myself" to an Australian blog friend. She hasn't been the same since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, Hicks is an entertainer who knows how to put on a show and his albums reflect that. I liked him the instant I started watching his act.

      The first version of "I Scare Myself" that I ever heard was Thomas Dolby. His Flat Earth album was one I used to listen to often. What a song!

      Lee

      Delete
  16. George Harrison is my favourite Beatle. I bought this album for my brother. I have been buying him a record album si ce I was a kid. He has a huge collection of Jimi Hendrix. I can't think of anything right now but The Jeff Healey band were great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, I think most people would say that George was their favorite. I had a Jeff Healy album but I guess I got rid of it.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. All Things Must Pass is my second-favorite album after Quadrophenia. It's helped me through a lot of tough times. At the end of my days, I want the title track played at my memorial service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, great albums to have in your top two.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. Hmm, I've just realised that I feel like I know his solo music, but I don't actually own any George Harrison records. Must fix this situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deniz, George put out several good solo albums as well as some very good albums with The Traveling Wilburys.

      Lee

      Delete
  19. Not familiar with any of those artists. I was in my teens and twenties during the Heart era

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyanne, I was in my mid-20's when I first heard Heart. I was working on a magic show at the time & "Magic Man" was very popular with us at the time.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee