This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Overview

         My topic for the letter O is "overview" which is appropriate for Saturday because that's what I do each Saturday on TOSSING IT OUT.   On this blog on Saturdays I look at where I've been in the previous week and where I am expecting to go in the week to come.  It's kind of a nice approach because it gives readers a chance to go back to look at something they've missed and lets them know if there is something they might like to remember to look at in the upcoming week.  This approach also allows for a somewhat easy post that requires a little less thought--after all it is the weekend.

        In nearly all of my posts for April I have tried to tie in some relationship to the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge.  I am trying to make sure that every blog gets a mention in these posts just in case any readers have not yet made it to one of the participant's blog.  I hope that every one of you have paid at least one visit to a fellow participant, left a comment, and perhaps even became a follower.  In theory, every blogger in the challenge should have gained 30 to 70 new followers if this procedure were done in the way I have described.  I encourage all of you to try this in the coming week--see what happens.

         In the previous week my topics were Judicious Juggling, an examination of balance in one's life; Knoxville, Tennessee--a sort of a travel promo memoir of a lovely city;  and the Undergraduate Library at the University of Tennessee, which was a companion piece and continuation of the Knoxville story.  There was also my weekly debate topic which this week appropriately looked at the mathematics of blogging.  I think the prevailing opinion was that accruing followers is important but not the primary purpose in blogging.  Then yesterday I offered a well-received bit of flash fiction called NothingI really appreciate all of the encouraging comments I received on that one and if you didn't read it yet I would like your opinion as well.

          This week we'll be covering the letters P through U as we wend our way toward the final week of the challenge.   I plan to be covering the topics of Poetry, Reputation, Savings and Investment, and Time.   And don't think I forgot Q.  I have a very special post scheduled for Q-Day Tuesday.  It will be a coming attractions promo piece of our May 3rd Blog Event.  I am hoping that we will have Challenge-wide participation for May 3rd and I hope to have many readers for what we all have to say.

           To fill in any who may not yet be aware of what I am talking about, on Monday May 3rd I am asking all participants of the Blogging From A to Z Challenge to join me in posting your reflections about this Challenge.  Tell us how it affected you and your blog.   How did you come up with ideas?  How did you find motivation?  How will it change the way you blog?    Also, you might want to explore what the challenge did for your writing or the way you interact with other bloggers.  What we would want to capture is the spirit, the experience, and the impact of Blogging From A to Z upon each of us individually as bloggers and collectively as a blog community.  Your posts can be informative, educational, inspirational, or entertaining--you decide, it's your experience.

           Already I've received commitments from many in the challenge, so I hope the rest of you will join us to make May 3rd a memorable day in blogging.   To join in you don't even have to be a Challenge participant.  If you were following or supporting us we'd like to hear what you have to say on this day as well.

          Please spread the word about checking the Tossing It Out post on Tuesday April 20 for the preview of the May 3rd A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post.  I encourage you to mention it in comments to blogs you regularly visit (without being obnoxious about it of course) and by all means mention it on your sites.   I would like to see every blogger that we can possibly reach to be at our blogs on May 3rd to recognize the achievement we have made in meeting the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge.

         You are all winners in this challenge and May 3rd will be your day to shine!

30 comments:

  1. Not sure if I told you or not, but count me in for May 3. If I made it till O (though with no ideas for the rest of the letters), there's no reason for my not being there on May 3.

    And I doubled the number of followers, and increased the number of blogs I follow by a third.

    ~ Rayna

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Thanks for the encouragement once again. I have to laugh though, you sound like a motivational speaker. Perhaps you are one? ;) Thanks for getting us in touch with each other. It's been wonderful. And yes, I'll definitely be participating on May 3rd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another blog full of information, Lee, when you say that May 3rd is our day to shine do you mean we all have to do spring cleaning like polishing?

    Enjoy the rest of the week-end.
    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the "Overview" idea, looks like a great goal-focus excercise! Count me in for May 3

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea and I can't wait for May 3 for the mega post! Anyway, I'm sorry I haven't been commenting all week, been really busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The number of people following my blog has doubled since we began this challenge - in fact, there was a huge spike the week before. I've noticed comments have dropped a bit this week, but I'm still trying to get to as many blogs as possible. I'll definitely contribute on the 3rd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great wrap-up post from your week Lee! I am so looking forward to May 3rd and have already started a 'draft' post so I don't forget the things I want to post about, which are coming to me now in the midst of the challenge!

    It should be a really great day on May 3rd, which is also my 2nd wedding anniversary!

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really started something big, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for May 3 to see what everyone writes and to weigh in with how much this challenge has meant in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rayna -- that would be so great! And I am sure many would be interested in hearing your observations on how you think the increases came about and what effect they've had upon you. Thank you!

    AA - I guess my motivational inclinations come from 35 years in mangagement, not to mention all of the motivational tapes and books I've consumed. I want to keep everyone upbeat so we can finish with a bang and show the rest of the blog world that we accomplished something pretty cool. Thanks for hanging in there til the end.

    Yvonne -- we've been doing the spring cleaning and polishing all during the month of April. May 3 is when we invite everybody in to show off what we accomplished. You have a big story to tell, especially the way you've commented and added followers and posted 1 or 2 poems everyday. You are a shining example for bloggers everywhere and now you can show others how you did it and what the end result is.

    Will -- really appreciate your support on this. I see it as a summation and celebration of our efforts during April.

    Swimmer-- at least you've been posting on schedule- that's the main thing. Commenting is mostly for your benefit to latch on to followers and increase your readership. You still have two weeks left!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alex --Sounds like you'll be able to contribute some really valuable information on the May 3rd A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post. Other bloggers should have a lot to learn from you.

    Trudy -- What a day May 3rd will be for you. And the baby on the way yet! Starting the draft now is a good idea. I've been doing the same because I keep thinking of new things I don't want to forget.

    Diane -- It's been big for all of us participating. I hope you will consider at least making a mention of any observations you've had about this challenge. Please think about making your contribution to the May 3rd A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post. I think it would be especially interesting to see how those who were looking in and following the progress thought about the challenge. Your insight would be very helpful.

    Linda -- I'm with you. I really want to know some of the thoughts, ideas, tips, and anecdotes that came about from the Challenge. I think we'll see some very interesting things. Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arlee, can't wait for May 3rd, I will definitely post and try to get the word out to as many bloggers as I possibly can, this weekend I will be outside breathing in some much needed fresh air and getting in a little exercise as well. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey Lee...i'm already committed to do that but have a question concerning it. are we going to do this on our blogs or are we going to post it in your comment section?:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My laptop is away being repaired so I'm having a really hard time keeping up with blogs :(

    I've picked up a few new blogs to follow during the challenge - there's lots of good stuff out there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's cool. About May 3rd. Guess who just joined the world of bloggers? Stephanie! check her out at:
    http://www.wsrstephanie.blogspot.com/
    she still hasn't posted though. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shannon -- It's important to get away some to clear your mind and invigorate your body. Appreciate all of your efforts in bring the A to Z Challenge to a grand and meaningful conclusion

    Bud -- I would hope everyone would post the May 3rd entry on their own blogs. I would like it to be your personal statement that reflects your own space. This should be about you and whatever is most important to you.

    Jemi -- poor thing. So difficult nowadays to go without a computer. But glad you're keeping up some. I hope you will be able to post your reflections about the Challenge on May 3rd because you have been with us from the start. I think you would have some very interesting things to say as one who has been supporting us.

    Wolfie -- I will add Stephanie's my list and watch for her posts. Hope you can contribute something on your blog on May 3rd.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're a clever guy Arlee. I haven't visited everyday but the ones I have I really enjoyed your posts.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  18. Count me in for the 3rd May. I must admit I have been learning a lot about my own country!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stephen Tremp -- Thanks for the way you have supported so many of us throughout the challenge. We'd love to get your take on it as well so I hope you'll join us for the May 3rd A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post to tell us what you observed. Thanks for keeping up with us.

    Niki -- I'm glad you will be helping us end the Challenge by adding your post to all of the others who will be participating. I've learned a lot about a lot of things!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i will be more than happy to blog about my reflections about joining your blog, I have really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking forward to reading and sharing on the 3rd. This has been a great journey so far.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wasabi--I am so glad you enjoyed the challenge and we will enjoy hearing about your experiences with it.

    Raquel -- I agree that the journey has been a good one and we want to hear about yours.

    Wanda -- Thank you! Your posts have always been so eloquent. Looking forward to what you will have to say for the May 3rd A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm definately in for May 3rd. This challenge has definately changed a lot of things about the way I blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hi, Lee,
    I will be traveling to Texas on the 3rd, but will post on the second, and hopefully will write something of some value. Going to a grandson's wedding, and having to leave Gramps in an assisted living place while I am gone. (He didn't want to go, either to ALiving or to Texas).
    Looking forward to doing a lot of good reading.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  25. Marjorie -- Glad you will be with us on May 3rd. The challenge has really given me a different outlook as well and so far I haven't even really had time to really assess the experience. I'm hoping that the May 3rd information from everyone else will give us all some new insights about blogging.

    Ruby-- I glad that your scheduled was such that you'll be able to stay with the entire challenge. And I post a day early will work (after all we'll already be getting posts from the Aussies and Zealanders) and I'm sure you'll have something valuable to add.
    We'll be looking forward to hearing about your trip as well and how Gramps fared while you were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Although I'm a late "Challenger" I've enjoyed the mental challenge. Can't wait for the mega on Monday May 3.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I will be on vacation May 3rd and without my computer. Please let me know what you'd like to see covered in our posts and I'll write it ahead of time and schedule it to post! THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Rae -- It's really up to you how you want to approach the May 3rd post, but overall I'm hoping to get some feedback about the Challenge, your personal experience of how you handled the challenge and how it benefited you, how it impacted your following and the comments you received, blog friends that you made or new blogs you discovered, any stories about the experience of blogging from A to Z. The post can cover a whole realm of topics in any style that suits you best. This will be your special post about your experience in the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge.
    If you can schedule ahead of time that would be great. And aren't you lucky to be going on vacation!

    Lee
    A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee