This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, April 30, 2023

Zee End is Near! ( #AtoZChallenge )

 


#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter Z

      Zipping things up for this 2023 A to Z Challenge, I have a few Z books to share.   And then I'll zoom outta here until it's time to come back! Like tomorrow.  Until then, I've got this.... 


Zagat Guides

       Not sure how exactly I started acquiring these.  I think I was maybe getting an email newsletter from Zagat and completed some voting surveys for them to be put in the guide for the year.  After the first participation I started getting the surveys every year and then Zagat would send me the book for that survey that I had completed.  The guides are mildly interesting, but not very extensive and, in the case of the restaurant guides, can be rather quickly outdated.  I haven't referred to these in quite some time, but I keep them in a shelf where I display CDs and DVDs.  Pictured are the books that immediately caught my attention, but it's possible there are more of these somewhere in my house.






Zero History by William Gibson

       When I saw this book at the closing sale of my neighborhood Border's Book Store, I decided to snatch it up since it was a nice hardback for only $1.25.  They had a lot of copies left so I presume it had not been a big seller at our Borders location.   Seeing the books on display, I immediately recognized Gibson's name having read some articles and reviews that suggested he was a rather groundbreaking sci-fi author. He is most notable as an innovator of the sci-fi genre labeled "Cyberpunk".  I haven't read this yet, but I guess I should consider this for one of my upcoming reads.



Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner

       Though I purchased this speculative novel over fifty years ago, I didn't read it until the latter part of 2022.  So long I had been tempted to read this because I liked the title and the premise of the story.  Also, John Brunner is an author whose books I had previously read and enjoyed.  Since Stand on Zanzibar is a speculative novel that takes place in 2010, the story is a bit ruined by the fact the we know that things didn't turn out quite like Brunner had predicted.  He did come pretty close on some things so that is enough to make the book an interesting artifact.  The writing style was cleverly conceived to imitate the style of mass media communications and the thinking of a drug influenced mind.  In other words, this book has a very sixties feel.  For hard core sci-fi and speculative fiction fans this is well worth delving into, but most readers might find it to be somewhat silly and difficult to accept.  I toiled through this book, but now I'm glad that I finally read it.  It would have probably come across far better if I had read it right after the Doubleday Science Fiction Book Club sent it to me in 1969.  That's the kind of thing that a lot of us were reading back then.





      Zounds!  The alphabet is done with 2023 Reflections to come!

      Do you ever use "guide" books to help you decide on where to eat, what to watch, or whatever you are thinking about checking out?    If you read a speculative novel about a future that has already passed by, do you find it to be a let down of sorts?    Are you a fan of experimental writing styles that are trying to create an effect even though the writing might be a bit confusing to follow?










7 comments:

  1. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com):
    I've enjoyed your A to Z this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zero History is in my reading pile as well. I definitely enjoy exploring experimental writing. I enjoyed your series, and am both sad and relieved the challenge is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading William Gibson in the 80s and 90s. For me, after reading several of his novels, new ones just didn't have the zing as when I first discovered him. Maybe I will go back to "reading" him via the audio book formats. But I will be returning to your series and your blog from time to time, as time allows, I found several authors I had skittered across in past challenges and new ones I will study. The A to Z challenge is such an opportunity to try things out, find new authors, and learn a few lessons. I missed a couple years and petered out in another, but your challenge is wunderbar. Be careful as you travel. Hasta, until I comment again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Lee! Another A-Z Challenge under your belt. You never cease to amaze me :-) I've been on and off the road all week and am now trying to catch up on all I've missed.
    I don't have any guides other than "Yelp" when I want to check out a new restaurant or business. I find word of mouth the best source for credible information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, thank you for leaving so many comments! Nice to get the support throughout April.

      I use Yelp a lot now. More up to date than any guide book could ever stay.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry I was never motivated to do my "mash-up" this year. I did have what I thought was a good idea for one, but it wasn't as good as I thought and gave up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I was wondering. I checked to see if there was anything, but that's okay. These blog posts can be a lot of time and work with questionable pay off. Something to do I guess.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee