This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Juggling, Jacksons, & Jefferson Bass ( #AtoZChallenge )

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter J

 

       Juggling just seems like an obvious book choice for this letter.  Yes, I do have several books on juggling and those of you who know anything about me know that I am a juggler and have an interest in the art.  Of course I would have some juggling books even though it's not a category most people would think of exploring.  Really, though, there are a lot of books about juggling and I have several.  Keep looking through the shelves and you'll find some other entries for 'J'...

      


Jackson history  (Colonel Edward Jackson:  Revolutionary Soldier)

       My actual last name being Jackson makes books about my family history of definite interest to me.  Fortunately my aunt Nancy Jackson and another relative Linda Brake Myers compiled this hefty history of over 1100 pages detailing the family lineage from their first arrival in the Americas in 1756 up to the 1990s when this book was published.  This highly detailed book is a real gem.  Probably difficult to find--I'm not sure how many copies were published--but I'm proud to have such a fine book on my family's history on my father's side.  And I'm named in the book as are my children!


Stonewall Jackson by James Robertson

         This famed Confederate general would be a distant cousin to me on our family tree.  My relationship to him has been confirmed by DNA testing.  Despite the choice he made in the Civil War, Stonewall is still highly acclaimed as one of the greatest military strategists in history.  There are several books about him, but this is the only one I own.  I started to read it a number of years ago but then stopped for some reason.  It's time for me to go back to reading this biography.



Juggling The Art and Its Artists by Ziethen & Allen

       Most of the juggling books I have are somewhat smaller books about how to juggle or different juggling tricks.  Typically they are cheaply made paperback books so most of these are not on my bookshelves.  However the Juggling book by Ziethen & Allen (a writing team made for A to Z) has a place on display in my collection.  This is primarily a picture book from 1985 that mostly depicts European jugglers of whom I am not familiar.  But there are some jugglers I've met and the photos are very nice.  A good coffee table book I guess.  Maybe even a collectors' item of sorts.


Jugglers' Bulletins

       Speaking of collectors books, here is a one of a kind book that I had custom bound by a book binder in Richmond VA back in 1977 or so.  I had visited the former editor of the bulletin of the International Jugglers Association, Roger Montandon who was living in Oklahoma at the time, and he indicated that he had all the back copies of the bulletin from the forties to mid-fifties.  I was very interested in collecting juggling materials at the time so I bought a set of these back issues that were just loose paper copies.  To keep them in good order I decided to have them bound.  Maybe someone else has also done this, but I seriously doubt that it looks like my copy.  I ordered it special.  I wonder what this might be worth to some serious collector?



Jefferson Bass

       This should go under the letter 'B' you say?  Well, actually no because this "author" is actually two people--author Jon Jefferson and Dr Bill Bass.  There are several books in this series of forensic crime novels.  Aside from the books being good, I was drawn to these books because Dr. Bass was my anthropology professor at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville.  He was one of my favorite professors as he was entertaining as well as informative.  Bass is renown as a forensic scientist who has been called in to solve many crimes.  He is also known for his studies of decomposition of corpses through is work at the Body Farm in Knoxville.  Great series for anyone who enjoys good crime writing with solid science to back them.  Flesh & Bone and Carved In Bone are but two of the books that I have, but if I really dug I'd probably find a few more.





      Has anyone in your family published genealogies of your lineage?    Do you enjoy researching your family history?  Have you read any of the books in the Body Farm series?





17 comments:

  1. I also found a deep liking in the early Jefferson Bass books, but they seemed to fall off the deep end later in the series.

    Never got into Juggling, but have a room full of artistic books, primarily watercolor or acrylics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, looking at their list of books I see that I've not read any of their books published past 2011 or so.

      I like art books. Have several in fact.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com):
    I haven't thought of doing my family history.
    I haven't read Jefferson Bass. And I would not have guessed it was two people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, tracing family history is interesting especially if good records have been kept. Otherwise, it might be difficult to almost impossible.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I updated and editied a book my Great Grandfather wrote about his time as a railroader spanning the 1910's to the 30's. It wasn't genealogy, but it was fun to do. I had it privately published and only three copies exist. Your copy of Juggling Art looks nice. I don't juggle (I have three or four left arms), but I enjoy leafing through books like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KJ, I've read some good accounts of past lives. I love reading that stuff.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. In preparation for the U.S. Bicentennial my grandfather and his siblings wrote a book of family history including a pretty well researched genealogy. I still have a copy of it and enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, a family history like that is pretty cool to pass down. I think that family history is important.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. One of my aunts has built the family tree for the Connellys and Doyles on Ancestry. I've been doing what I can to do the same for the Holtons and Welches. I did actually find some second cousins, the children of Grandma Holton's brother. which was pretty cool, and her oldest sister's husband's second wife. None of it is in a book, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, I think a lot of my family history is online. Probably partly due to the efforts of my aunts who wrote family histories.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Lee......before I continue to babble on (Babylon) in your comments section, have you ever seen the documentary "The Booksellers?"
    https://youtu.be/IhTY_K3N0BU I have to pause there for now, but will pick up again depending on your response. ZD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ZD, I watched the preview. Looks good. I enjoy documentaries and this looks like a topic that I'd like.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. I was thinking about that movie reading some of your blogs....there is one section in there where a 'bookseller" describes how a copy of some Harry Potter book outsold a first edition of Don Quixote! Hahahaha......Seeing the picture of the Grapes of Wrath also reminded me I would read Don Quixote and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court........I better get on it!

      Delete
  7. That Jackson book is right up my alley- have to put it on my "short list"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I guess you're talking about the "Stonewall Jackson" book since the other one is probably extremely difficult to find.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. The Jackson family history book sounds fantastic! A cousin to Stonewall? Wow. My brothers liked to pretend we were related to Raquel Welch; boys being boys;-) Your interest and background in juggling was one of the first things I learned about you. I’m still impressed. I’m a fan of Robin Cook and Patricia Cornwell, so I’m guessing Jefferson Bass and the Body Farm series would definitely be to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, my aunt and her colleagues did a great job on the family history. The Jefferson Bass series is pretty solid for the genre. I have Cook and Cornwell books and they are very much like the "Body Farm" series from JB.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee