This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, April 14, 2023

Literature, Language, and Lies ( #AtoZChallenge )

 

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter L



       Literature literally is everywhere in our home.  Even if you don't count all of the non-fiction and reference books, I've still got a lot of books that highbrows would call literature.  There are books by a wide selection of great authors and other not so well known writers.  Since I've been covering literary books throughout this A to Z series, I'm going to cover some other kinds of books for my 'L' post.


Language

      The subject of language and especially the origins of English words and phrases interests me.  I have several books devoted to the study of language.   The first I came across as I was scanning my office bookshelf was How Language Works by David Crystal.  It looks interesting.  I should read it one day.


Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W Loewen

          I read this controversial book shortly after I bought it in the nineties.  At the time I thought it was interesting even though I couldn't confirm the veracity of everything it proclaimed.  I should reread it someday to see if I can find any holes in this guy's accounts.  It makes for some provocative reading.




Love by Country Beautiful Magazine

        You probably have at least a book or two like this.  This is one of those collections of sappy pictures, poems, and prose about love.  It had to have been a gift because I can't imagine buying this on my own.  The publication date is 1970 so I'm guessing this was probably a gift given in honor of my first marriage.  I think I know who gave it to us.  In any case I have it now.  My ex probably doesn't care about having it, let alone remember ever receiving it.  But there it is on my bookshelves for me to read if I'm ever in a sentimental mood.





       My father gave this book to my mother before they went on a trip to Las Vegas in 1961.  I know this because he inscribed a very nice note to her on the inside of the front cover.  I read it this book several years ago.  It's one of those interesting time capsule type books about the way things used to be. You can read my Amazon review here.



Lost  Mission by Athol Dickson

       This is a novel I read early in my blogging career back in 2009.  It's an excellent book which I reviewed on my blog here and also had an author interview here

          






The Last Great Walk by Wayne Curtis

         Did you know that long distance walking was once a major event followed by many Americans?  These walkers were like celebrities in their day and people would gather along the roadsides to cheer them on and maybe even get a chance to hear them tell their tales during their rest stops.  This is a very fascinating book that opened my eyes to a spectacle of the 19th century that eventually faded away with the advent of the automobile age.  I was especially interested in this book since I used to like to walk a lot (and still enjoy it when I manage to take the time to do it).  In the seventies I even seriously considered doing my own walk across the United States.  When I found this book in recent decades it caught my eye and I had to add it to my collection.  A wonderful story well told deserving of five stars from me.  One of my favorite books.





       What is one of the more unusual facts (or fictions) that you've discovered reading books?  Do you ever buy "gift books" that are of minimal substance but nice to look at when you need something to give to someone?   What is the best book you've ever received as a gift?






8 comments:

  1. Great post! I almost think I could write a book about the "lies teachers told us". I've gotten lots of books as gifts. Mostly they were for my Stephen King Collection, which I am now passing down to my son. My favorite book gift was given to me by my now passed mother-in-law. A bible. I love it. It's the best book ever written. I've given lots of books as gifts too. Mostly inspirational such as "Soup for the Soul" type books.

    Cheers,
    Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. H.P. Lovecraft

    Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff was a fun book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig....I left this comment for Lee;

      Most people including me never knew that H.P Lovecraft was one of the giants of "horror." Right up there with Edgar Allen Poe and Stephen King. I found out when Providence hosted the International Lovecraft Festival one week in Rhode Island where I live.

      Delete
  3. I just added a couple of these to my TBR list! I don’t usually “gift” books unless I’m sure the recipient will love it. I rarely lend my books for fear they won’t be returned. Thankfully, that hasn’t happened often. A few years ago, I received a book from a friend called “The Harbinger” by Jonathan Cain. I really didn’t think I’d like it but gave it a try and couldn’t put it down until I’d finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thecontemplativecat here. I posted about book banning today. We have too many coffee table like books. I have been reading the series by Matthew Rozell, The Things Our Fathers Saw, about WW2. Excellent reading, very personable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that walking trend was in the Forest Gump movie.
    Really seems like there should be some Bill Bryson mixed in the collection.
    D, J, L ... man, I didn't make the list yet. 😅
    Maybe the Book Reviews book will make it for R. Ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be nice to go on a walkabout as the Australians say it. I always dreamed of hiking the whole Bruce Trail which is here from the Falls all the way to Tobermory. The best book I ever received was my very first book on movie stars. It was Christmas and I was very sick-over 104 fever. My parents wondered if they should take me to the hospital. It was Christmas eve...My dad and my brother ended up going to my Uncle and Aunt's place for dinner (she made good perogies) but my dad kept calling or vice versa about me. My mom started placing a warm, wet towel around my calves and then a dry towel. She had to redo it every 20 min because I just dried it out. They came home and we decided to open our gifts on Christmas Day instead of Christmas Eve like we always did. I was feeling sick but my brother, bless him, pleaded with us to just open one gift. My parents agreed that it was my decision and when I saw my brother's look, I said ok. We opened one and then my brother pleaded to open one more..I relented. Anyway, soon after that, I got a gift from my brother and I opened it. It must have shone like the angels because it was a book about movie stars. No other gift mattered, I just started reading, mesmerized that a book about film stars existed. Well, we ended up opening all the gifts and..I had no more fever! That trick of wrapping your calves with warm, wet towel does work as it sucks the fever out. My movie star book is still on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lies my teacher told me......I might have to check that out! ZD

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee