This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Vacancies at the Letter 'V' ( #AtoZChallenge )

 


#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter V


      Variety is a good word to use in describing my book collection--until you come to 'V'.   Not too many books or authors that I found that fit this letter.  Sure, I have volumes, but that doesn't seem like a fair use for the letter 'V'.   I used to have a paperback version of a wonderful book called Very Special People which was about circus side show freaks, but that book is long gone.  I think it might have fallen apart before it was discarded.  Yes, somewhere I have some Vonnegut--I know I have Slaughterhouse Five (I think I got it for a class).  That book is a paperback hidden amongst the books in my garage. 

      I scoured my shelves for 'V' books as best as I could, but only came up with this one: 

Vicksburg 1863 by Winston Groom

        It's another Civil War book!  I've got a lot of them in my home library.   I almost have an A to Z's worth of Civil War books.  This book about the siege and battle for Vicksburg Mississippi gets high ratings on the various book sites.  I haven't read it yet, but seems like something that would interest me.  Years ago I visited the battlefield in Vicksburg and it was an interesting historic tour.



      Are there any books that you can think of that would fit under the letter 'V'?  Have you visited any Civil War battlefields?   Have you lost track of any books that you have packed up or hidden away in storage areas?




6 comments:

  1. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com):
    Such a slim pickings letter--true of letters near the end of the alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I guess it's better to keep the shorter posts near the end.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Hi Lee -
    I have three I can think of in my library. "The Victor Book of the Opera," "The Victor Book of the Symphony," and "Valley of Decision" by Marcia Davenport. The first two are fantastic musical guides from decades ago that are a must for people who love those genres of music. I refer to them often. Valley of Decision is a novel I have not read yet, but purchased specifically because it was edited by Maxwell Perkins, America's greatest editor of literature. He edited F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Thomas Wolfe, and many more. His biography "Editor of Genius" is fascinating.

    I also have a number of books of verse with the word in the title (Oxford Book of English Verse, etc.) but since those don't start with V... would they count?

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, I seem to recall the Victor books from somewhere. Seems like something that would fit my tastes. Interesting to pick a book based on the editor, but it sounds like something I would do. I used to buy records sometimes in that way. I see who produced it or maybe certain background artists.

      Verse would work according to my thinking, but since I'd already done 'Poetry' on 'P' then I didn't want to be redundant, But I do have books with 'verse' in the title.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. La Vita Nuova springs to mind for me, as a Dantephile. I'm long overdue to do a full reread of the book, particularly since many of the events in my alternative history about Dante and Beatrice will be based on things from that memoir. I've already used some lines borrowed from it, as well as writing their first meeting based on Dante's account in Chapter II, complete with the Latin phrases and references to the vital, natural, and animal spirits governing different parts of the body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I wish I was home actually looking at the V titles I'm thinking of ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee