This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Thursday, April 6, 2023

Encyclopedias Etcetera ( #AtoZChallenge )

 

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter E


       Encyclopedias everywhere--or at least it would seem.  When I was about 9 years old my mother bought our first set of encyclopedias book by book from the grocery store.  Over subsequent years she would purchase some newer sets.   These encyclopedias helped get me through school as I would use them regularly to research reports and term papers.  Then, at other times, our encyclopedias provided me and my friends hours of entertainment as we just perused the pages and read about things that caught our attention.  A household without encyclopedias is somewhat literarily empty in my eyes.  



Encyclopedias

       As soon as you step foot in our home, one of the first things you would encounter is a shelf filled with encyclopedias.  My wife's late husband was a professor and author in Ecuador and he liked having an extensive library for his research and entertainment.  He had good taste in books.  The encyclopedias he chose are decent representations of what was on the market when he purchased them.

       On the top shelf is a 1986 printing of the mainstay of many homes:  The Funk and Wagnalls Encyclopedia.  This was the line that my mother purchased twice in far earlier editions than we have now.  Those have since been discarded.  It's a simple set, but it works for general information and reasonable for young people's school research.

        The next two shelves have 1990's printings of Encyclopedia Britannica and Hispanica (the Spanish language product put out by the Britannica company).  There are excellent in depth articles to be found in these and I refer to the English version with some regularity.  Sure, some of the info gets outdated, but there is still solid information that answers questions that I might have.






Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Encyclopedia

         Taking a look upstairs in our home you will find a few other encyclopedia sets, including one for young readers.   Also there are a number of single books that are identified as "Encyclopedias" either of general knowledge or specific fields of study. Pictured below is one such book that I ordered from a book club maybe 20 or so years ago.  Like other books of a similar nature, I rarely or never refer to these books but I like the way they look on my shelf.





Eye Mind by Paul Drummond

          This is the book I have been currently reading and it's turning out to be one of my favorite books of recent years.  This might be no surprise when you consider that this book is about one of my favorite rock groups--The 13th Floor Elevators, their most famous member--Roky Erickson, and the psychedelic era of the later 1960s. Looking at the current Amazon pricing I am apparently not alone in my passion for this book.  I better keep this one in good condition as it seems to have some value.  So far I give this book a big recommendation for anyone who is interested in Rock and Roll music history or the psychedelic era.  Five stars!






Do you own any encyclopedias?    Do you find encyclopedias to be useful?   Do you keep any books on your shelves just because you think they look good?






17 comments:

  1. I don't own any encyclopedias any more. In my childhood, my parents initially got me encyclopedias from the supermarket - thinking maybe Golden Book (?) not sure. At some point they got sold on World Book and got me the set with the cheapest binding (certainly not the white and gold binding). I was one of those kids who would read the World Book just for fun. In a way, I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alana, Funk & Wagnalls was the mainstay grocery store promotion encyclopedia set when I was young. Over the years my mother bought two different sets of them. They were a good value considering what one paid for them. We never had the upper scale encyclopedia sets that cost maybe a thousand dollars or whatever it was. I loved reading the encyclopedia for fun and recreation as well as to learn new things.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Funk and Wagnalls was our choice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, ours too. It's a pretty good set for the price.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com):
    I totally guessed encyclopedias for today. And it's one of my topics for today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost gave up looking for it, but I do have one Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary. Does that count? I think all my books look good on the shelf ;-) I treasure the many writing books I've collected over the years - especially Elements of Style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up sitting on the floor reading my parents' encyclopedias, but sadly I don't have any now. I can't justify the space they take up. A neighbour was giving away an old set a few days ago and we ALMOST took it before we looked at our bookcases and determined we would need to get another one in order to fit it. :-P

    E is for Edge Highlighting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luckily my sister got the encyclopedia set.

    Unluckily I did buy the 7 Eves book ( closest thing I have to an E book, except for my E-book) and I still haven't finished reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still remember the letter-ranges to my old Colliers set from the 1950's- A- And, Ane-Bak, etc. I remember color plates of the singing of the Japanese surrender, that somehow convinced pre-school me that WWII ended in like 1964...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee, have you ever seen any of "The Librarian" movies or TV show? As we agreed, I have to look at the books on the shelves. For the props, there are always tons of Encyclopedias used for fillers. They try to spread them out, but they are SO easy to spot. ZD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ZD, several years ago I advertised a set of nice looking Spanish encyclopedias on Craigslist. I was impressed that I immediately got a buyer who accepted the $100 price I was asking without any negotiation. Out of curiosity, when the people came to pick up the set I asked why they wanted them. They said they were filming a movie where they needed books to fill up the shelves of a "doctor's office" on the set.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I have my parents’ set of Encyclopedia Brittanica. I also have the extras where it discusses what happened each year including obituaries which I like reading. I like just going to one of the books, opening up a page and reading whatever I opened up on. I think they are excellent and I love that some of the countries have changed since this was published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ughh…again, it’s Birgit. I bought a new IPad and have tried to sign in and it just won’t let me. I tried to troubleshoot etc…nothing,

      Delete
  10. My father gave me the Children's Encyclopedia Britannica as a gift when I was 5-6. I still have the books for sentimental reasons but the set's back home in India on the shelf. For reference needs I use the online version.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had a number of encyclopaedia sets in my home growing up: Encyclopaedia Britannica both adult and childrens versions, plus some historical ones. We were constantly looking things up in them. But now the internet has replaced them all for general research and I've only kept a couple sets from the nineteenth century for historical purposes.

    nydamprintsblackandwhite.blogspot.com/2023/04/england-atozchallenge.html

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee