This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Grapes of Wrath and other Good Books ( #AtoZChallenge & #BOTB Results )

 

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter G


     Good books, great books--I've got some of both.  For that matter, as far as I'm concerned all books are good in some respect.  Even if it's to start a fire.  I can't think of any of my books that I've wanted to burn, but I've given some away.  I've also sold many books at yard sales or donated them to Goodwill.  Mostly I've kept my books, especially the ones I've obtained since 1990 after I stopped my touring job. Staying in one place tends to make me gather possessions--notably books.  For my 'G' post I've got some good books as well as some great ones...

        Actually the Great Books are gone.  By that I mean the audaciously titled 60 volume set as decided by academics over the years.  My wife gave those away to a deserving recipient.  They were replaced by our Funk & Wagnall's Encyclopedia from upstairs.  I prefer the way that set looks anyway.

        Images of The Great Gatsby and Great Expectations aren't in this post because I couldn't find the physical books on the shelves.  I remember seeing them and likely I might have looked right at them.  I guess those are great books.  Gatsby's far easier to read than a lot of the content in the Great Books.  



         From my wife's collection is this 16 volume geographic "encyclopedia" that was published in Spain.  Even though I can read Spanish somewhat well, I'd much rather have this set in English.  It's just my sort of thing.  I'm a big geography fan, but I'm lazy.  Having to read in another language makes me have to use my brain too much.  However, the set looks nice on our living room bookshelves.



Guidebooks

       I've got all sorts of guidebooks or books to show me how to do things.  There are a lot of things that I don't know how to do, but these books can help to some extent sometimes.  But didn't I say I'm lazy?  And it seems like a lot of times when I try to fix something I do a shoddy job or mess it up more.  Still, guidebooks are nice to have.  You know--just in case.  So, in other words, if I really need the info, I've got books like  Complete Guide to Home Repair, Maintenance & ImprovementIt might come in handy someday. You never know.








The Greatest Question by Oliver Greene

        Oliver B. Greene wrote a ton of books before he died in 1976 and I'd say my father probably bought all of them.  These are all relatively short books about Christianity and the Bible.  My father had a lot of books like this and they were passed to me after he died.  I still have a number of Greene books on my shelves or in boxes.  And I have read a few of them.   If you're wondering what the greatest question might be then maybe you should read this book.




Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

        Surely you know this book or at least have seen the movie.  I bought this copy though the Doubleday Book Club in the seventies.  I've read it at least once, though I can't recall how long ago.  If you haven't read this then you really must.  This is a five star plus book.






         Do you gravitate towards guides and how-to books?   Have you read any evangelical treatises?  Were you ever a part of any commercial purchase book clubs?


Battle of the Bands Results

My Battle on opening day of A to Z was between two versions of the Jefferson Airplane classic "White Rabbit".   My vote goes to Elephant Revival.  Here is the final outcome of that contest.

Final Vote Tally

Grace Potter                 7 votes

Elephant Revival        8 votes












16 comments:

  1. I feel called out by not having read the Grapes of Wrath :) I do like Steinbeck but in the past couple years I gravitated towards easy, optimistic reads, and while I don't know this book, Steinbeck is not really famous for those. But I'll look it up now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Andi, I don't think of "Grapes" being very uplifting or optimistic, but it's well worth the read.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Jamie (jannghi.blgspot.com):
    I chose to read The Grapes of Wrath on my own a few years ago. I'm now surprised I wasn't forced to red it in school. Of Mice and Men was the only Steinbeck novel I remember having to read in his school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I only recall having to read The Red Pony by Steinbeck and that was in about 8th grade I think. Later in 11th grade I read his The Winter of Our Discontent for a book report.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I’d keep that Geographica books for the pics alone. I have a couple of books that are in German. One is called “Des Stimme Des Menschen” which translates to “The Death of People”. I wish there was a English translation and you would want this book too because it is a compilation of letters from people all over the world during WW2, soldiers and civilians, and all died because of the war. There are letters from Canadians, Americans, English to Germans, Japanese, French etc… it’s sad but one I wish I could read.
    As for Grapes..I’ve read the book and I’ve seen the film. It’s sad because of people who lost everything and then are taken advantage of because of their predicament. It’s excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, I rarely have looked at the Geographica books, but they do have a lot of nice illustrations.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I love both Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men. I think I read the latter first and then went looking for more Steinbeck to read because I fell in love with his writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nilanjana, Steinbeck makes for nice flowing reading. The kind that I like.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Do you ever realize that a good portion of the world's geography has changed since you learned it in grade school? Mary and I want to get an updated book of it. Of course, witin ten years it'll be out of date...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, as one who collected stamps over the years I am very aware of the geo-political changes that have occurred. I've also kept up with those changes in the news over the years. Not that I have ever travelled or expect to do so in these countries that are often rather unstable. I'm good at geographic trivia though.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Grapes was the most fascinating boring story I ever read. By that, I mean the subject matter didn't really capture me, but the writing style was mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lee!
    It was so painful to watch my first collection of books, not to mention binders and files of stories and poems I wrote, go up in flames that I couldn’t possibly think of burning them myself. I’ve managed to amass an impressive amount of replacement books (and writing) since then; including one my grandma insisted every household needed, titled “How to Fix Damn near Anything” I don’t recall ever referring to it ;-) One of my favorite T-shirts has the words “Those who forget history are doomed to forget geography too,” emblazoned on the front. You’ve got some of the same classic “G” books as I do. But do you have ‘Kissing Arizona” by Elizabeth Gunn? Not exactly a classic, but we’re pretty proud of our local authors ;-)
    Terrific Battle of The Bands! Close one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee,

    Had you not voted your battle would've ended in a tie which is a general tread this round. Mine was close but a definite winner declared. The results are up in today's 4M post. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LEE ~
    Like mine, your Battle was a really good one where the 1-vote margin of victory was your own vote! Man, BOTB just doesn't get any better'n that!

    There were several really close races in this round. Must be something in the air.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love travel guide books and we bought some everywhere we went. It's fun to leaf through them and relive the memories. ☺ Never read the Grapes of Wrath but enjoyed the movie.

    I'm glad Elephant Revival won the battle. Another close one!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee