This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, April 10, 2023

Here to Stay ( #AtoZChallenge )

 

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter H


          Hey!  How's everyone doing out there so far?  
          Heaps of entries under 'H' so I better get hopping!




        Published by Zondervon this monster 2000 page book puts the multivolume original edition in one 2000 page tome.  This Bible reference has been around for a few hundred years.  The edition I have has a print date of 1972.  It was part of my father's collection of books.  I don't really need to use this physical book copy since it is so extensively available on the internet.  But I think it occupies a pretty cool looking place on my "Bible Reference" bookshelf in my home office. 




       I enjoy finding out how things work.  Not that I retain or learn that much from reading a book like this.  I'd forgotten about owning this book.  Apparently the book didn't impact me all that much, but I've kept it in very good condition.  




         Here's another book that's in pristine condition.  This is one of many history books that I own.  I could probably do a pretty good A to Z theme of just history books.  Hmm--I kind of like that idea.







The Past Through Tomorrow by Robert A Heinlein

        I was introduced to the science fiction genre in about 1960 when I was around nine years old.  At the library I came across a well worn copy of a novel by Robert Heinlein and checked it out to read.  The book impressed me enough that I sought out more sci-fi. I was already a fan of science fiction and horror films so discovering the printed alternatives was pretty cool.  When I got the special offer to join the Doubleday Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Club this Heinlein collection of short stories was one of the books I snatched up. That was over fifty years ago.  Now I should probably read at least some of the stories.  





A Treasury of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

          This hefty volume of Holmes stories was part of another book club haul, this time from my first book club membership with the Doubleday One Dollar Book Club.  I joined that club when I was in junior high so I've had this book a long time now.  It's been over 50 years since I've read anything from this book. 






         Again from Doubleday Books Clubs--this time the Mystery Book Club--pictured below is one of several short story collections presented by Alfred Hitchcock.  There are some really good stories in these books with top rate authors represented.  There are probably stories you know in these and many of you might even have some of these books.  Happy to own these books.









Here to Stay by John Hersey

       Saving the best for last, this is one of my favorite books as well as one of my favorite authors.  I have several books by John Hersey.  There are also a few of his books that I regrettably let go at yard sales.  The biggest gem in this collection of amazing stories is Hiroshima, a graphic and moving account of the aftermath of the first atomic bomb.  This one has really stuck with me over the years, but I've read it several times since I first got this book from Doubleday in the late sixties.






        Did you join any "Book Clubs" in the past?   How did you acquire most of your books?    If you've read the Hersey book, were you impacted by his "Hiroshima" story?



16 comments:

  1. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com):
    I read the Hiroshima book last year. It was thought-provoking.
    When I was in a book club (with a private Facebook group page), I'd usually get the books from the library. Once to twice I already had the one on hand (from second hand stores).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, it's been a while since I've been to a library. I used to check stuff out quite a bit.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Can't go wrong with Heinlein or Sherlock Holmes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, classic stuff that has fueled young imaginations for many decades.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I was also abducted by Sci-fi, and the ship was also Heinlein. I didn't get abducted by it until high school though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I can't recall what the draw was of the Heinlein book that hooked me, but it stuck with me after I read it. So did Heinlein's name when I was looking for books later.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. That commentary, and many others, are much more convenient on my e-Sword program...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, my usual go to these days. I'm to lazy to go to the bookshelf and look for something and then take the book out.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. How much does that Matthew Henry book weigh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, don't have a scale that will weigh it and I'm not so good guessing weights. Maybe 8 lbs?

      Delete
  6. Thanks for creating this blog and helping others to learn

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Hiroshima book sounds interesting. I have a history book of each year starting in 1900 and my daddy gave this to me a couple of years before he died. I cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a similar book by David Macaulay "The Way Things Work." He went to school here in Rhode Island, and often mentioned as a clever mind and incredible illustrator. His first book was Cathedral. Those types of books were like the evil that is now YouTube...."You say you're only going to check "something" out for a minute, and the next things you know, you've lost 3 days "somewhere!" ZD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ZD, I recall that name and book. I might have it around here somewhere--or something else by Macaulay. Sometimes it's nice to just disappear into a chair and let the imagination go.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Once upon a time ago I did join a book club – probably Doubleday – that was fine for a while, and did kickstart my book-collection. But it was ridiculously difficult to get out of the club when I wanted to. Lesson learned. You’ve got some interesting titles on your list today. Alfred Hitchcock, Sherlock Holmes…haven’t heard of John Hersey. “Hiroshima” might be hard for me to read without a hanky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, my book collection grew quickly thanks to being a part of several book clubs. Never had a problem getting out of them. Didn't really want to get out of the book clubs. And in my younger days I rarely got to go to a book store.
      Hersey's "Hiroshima" is a great read that everyone should check out. It's kind of tough, but it's also beautiful and frightening. It might be available online for free.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee