This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, April 15, 2023

Magic, Music, Money and More ( #AtoZChallenge )

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter M

 

       Magic and music are two interests of mine so these topics are reflected in the books that I own.  Many of these types of books are packed away where I wasn't able to easily access them for photographing, but I managed to find a couple in these categories along with some other books to represent the letter 'M'

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold

        This popular historical mystery thriller novel came out in 2001.  Though fiction, the title character was an actual famous magician from the early 20th century and many historical figures make appearances in this story filled with theatrical glitz and political intrigue  Worth a read I'd say.  I enjoyed it when I read it several years ago.




Beethoven The Universal Composer by Edmund Morris

       I enjoy reading about the lives of musicians and composers.  Beethoven was one of the best so I savored this book about his life.  I should go back to reread this book while listening to Beethoven's symphonies one after another.  A great way to spend a bleak day when I've got nothing else to do (this sentence sounds like it could be a line of a song)(music thinking is always on my mind).





Money

       Back when I was working and bringing in a regular paycheck I used to buy various books about money and finances.  I probably should have read some of them and taken heed of what they had to recommend.  Now I've got little money, but a lot of money books.  Here are a couple big ones:

The Bottom Line Money Book


Making the Most of Your Money by Jane Bryant Quinn


     I didn't really get my money's worth from either of them.


Medical Books

       My mother always used to have medical books when I was growing up.  Not professional type books, but family friendly medical books that many people would have in their homes.  If you felt something coming on, you'd consult the medical book to see what might be going on.  When I'd research whatever I might be feeling, I was always sure that the worst disease was the one I had.  Sometimes I'd just read those medical books for fun and end up feeling sick.  I've continued my mother's medical book tradition by adding a few to my own library.

The Harvard Medical School Family Health Guide  is a particularly handsome volume. It's a big ole book.  



Masada to Mexico and Beyond

Masada: Herod's Fortress and the Zealots' Last Stand by Yigael Yadin


The Oxford History of Mexico  by Michael C. Meyer & William H. Beezley


The World of the Ancient Maya by John S Henderson




 Memoir

        I like reading about other peoples' lives especially it comes straight from the source.  Memoir is one of my favorite genres.  Not only do I have several memoirs in my library, I also have several good books about writing memoir.  Most of these I ordered from Writers' Digest Books.  I haven't read most of them, but The Truth of Memoir by Kerry Cohen isn't a bad little book.  





The Moonshine Mule by Tom Fremantle

         If I recall correctly, this is another one of those books purchased through a mail order catalog from a book clearing service.  I got several nicely priced books in that haul.  This book particularly interested me because it's about a long walking trek.  I dream of taking a trek like that, but I think the days of doing a thing like this are behind me.  At least I can read about an adventure of that sort in this book.

You can read my review on Amazon here.



Meriwether Lewis by Richard Dillon

         Kind of a funny story about this one.  My friend Marvin in Tennessee and I were talking about the famed explorer Meriwether Lewis a couple weeks ago.   Why we would have been talking about such a thing eludes me now, but apparently Marvin had read something about Lewis recently that he found interesting.  I told him that over fifty years ago I had bought a book about Lewis from the Doubleday Book Club but I had sold it at a yard sale several years ago.  Well, lo and behold, I'm looking for books for this post and there it is plain as day on my bookshelf.   Guess maybe I'd better read this before I actually do sell it or something.  



Cormac McCarthy

      I first discovered the writing of Cormac McCarthy in about 1972 when I was attending the University of Tennessee at Knoxville.  This author had also attended there in the fifties and had lived around the area and this is where his earliest novels took place so I could relate to them geographically at least.  Since those days he has written several highly acclaimed novels, including some that have been made into movies.  Cities of the Plain  is part of his Border Trilogy.  This is but one of several McCarthy novels in my collection.  I'll be featuring others in future posts. Cormac McCarthy is one of my top favorite authors.






       Have you attempted to write any memoir?   Do you ever consult medical books to see what is wrong with you or someone else?   Are you familiar with Cormac McCarthy's work?
         







14 comments:

  1. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com):
    Yes, I have written a memoir about depression. I have mentioned it on my blog. I've sent it out, but so far have been rejected.
    I have also written another book, this one a tween book set in the '80s (when I grew up). Have sent that one out as well, and been rejected.
    Gonna keep on seeing them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, all that rejection might lead to more depression and more books. It could become an endless cycle.

      Don't give up!

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I have not written any memoirs...yet but my mom's story is always at the forefront. I love a good mystery and I, too, have my parent's medical books which I still look at to this day. They are quite informative even though they are 50 yrs old. I love the 2 book, leather bound, on classical musicians. So many led troubled lives like Beethoven and Schumann. If you love Beethoven, you will like the film, "Immortal Beloved" starring Gary Oldman as Beethoven. It is an excellent film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, I have "Immortal Beloved" on DVD as well as "Copying Beethoven" with Ed Harris as Ludwig. I agree that "Immortal Beloved" is an excellent film. I've watched it 3 times so far.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. What a collection of M Books! Congrats on getting to the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How intriguing! I've read a lot of books on Beethoven, and wrote quite a few books on him in high school and college. My ex had that Harvard Medical School book, and it's possible that I've got it in one of the multiple boxes of books in the garage... which I'd rather not go and find out about. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee,

    I haven't thought about writing my memoir because I just don't think it's interesting enough but I when I think of it I am keeping those memories in journal form. Maybe the kids or grandkids will appreciate my thoughts some day.

    I remember the day before Internet, when I used self healing type books with the hope of treating medical problems. Those books got a lot of use in the early days.

    I didn't know the name Cormac McCarthy or that he lives(d) in the area. This is interesting to know.

    You did a marvelous job coming up with books for the letter M. The month is more than half gone and so is the challenge. It's hard to believe, huh? Happy A2Zing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, the way I see it, an interesting memoir is more a matter of the writing and not so much the subject. Definitely keep the journals for posterity.

      Cormac McCarthy left the East Tennessee area many years ago, but he lived in Blount County for a number of years in the seventies I guess. His early books have many references to Knoxville and East Tennessee locations.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I came here to learn how to intelligently invest what little money I have. Er-- no... that's not right!

    What I came here for was to vote on your mid-month BOTB installment, but it looks like it broke away from the page and slipped outta town in the dead of night.

    Oh, well. Hopefully you'll have one on May 1st. Before locking it down on the page, you might want to search to see that it isn't smuggling in a nail file. And, remember this: NEVER allow anyone to deliver a cake to a BOTB installment! I've lost more Battles that way!

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, thanks for stopping by to check. I started to do a midmonth Battle but then when I saw how long the post already was I decided to wait until May 1st. Probably wouldn't have gotten much voting action anyway.

      Now, how can I help you with your financial life? Your love life? Well, forget it. My advice would likely suck.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Reading this, I just recalled, we used to have a few places called "Buck A Book." Great prices on brand new books ....especially reference books that didn't sell. A very cool place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn’t planned to write a memoir, but my daughter insisted. She enlisted a company called StoryWorth to do the prodding and publishing honors. Far as I know, there are two copies in existence ;-) I admit I do research unfamiliar ailments, mostly online, WebMD and such. It drives doctors bananas! And, I should mention, scares me half to death as I always come away more convinced than ever that I am on my way out. I do have a hefty book of “remedies” in the medicine cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, there are some good opportunities for self-publishing a memoir. I've thought of doing it. I have a memoir manuscript by my father that I've thought about publishing in a limited run for family members. Maybe someday.

      Just reading through medical stuff can start making me feel sick as I imagine having all sorts of maladies to match symptoms I might feel.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee