This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, May 1, 2023

Libertango (#BOTB)

      Things are pretty much back to normal as another Blogging from A to Z April Challenge comes to an end.  In a future post I'll be reflecting on my thoughts about the 2023 Challenge, but today it's about the music.  Get ready to listen and hopefully enjoy.  And now turn your attention to...

Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Libertango

     This song is also known under the title of "I've Seen That Face Before" and if you're thinking you've seen this song before in one of my Battle of the Bands posts then you'd be right.   That Battle happened on this site over six years ago.  Now I'm doing the song again, this time as an "instrumental" rather then a song with lyrics as I used in that previous Battle.  I think this current Battle will be even better than that last one.  Hope you enjoy these versions of Astor Piazzolla's "Libertango"...
       


Swingle Singers "Libertango"  (2011)








40 Fingers  "Libertango"  (2018)






Time to Vote!

          We've done this thing before.   It's an easy thing for you.   Just listen and appreciate.  Which song version do you prefer?  
 Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 





Battle Results on Monday May 8th
    
         Coming on Wednesday I'll have a post for Insecure Writer's Support Group and soon I'll have an A to Z Reflections post.  And then I don't know what.  Every day is starting to feel like déjà vu.  And summer is coming.  We'll see...









25 comments:

  1. That's a tough one. I think I like the second better but it's really impressive the first group used no instruments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I would have guessed your vote since you are a guitar player.

      First vote goes to 40 Fingers.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Lee,

    First, let me say congrats on finishing another A2Z challenge! 👏

    I'm giving my vote to 40 FINGERS. It's not only truly an instrumental arrangement, but I absolutely loved the guitar arrangement. I wouldn't mind owning this version. I'm going to YT to sample more their work. Swingle Singers is interesting but not nearly as magical to my ears like the guitarists. Have a bandtastic week, my friend!

    A Song for You BOTB Showdown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I had a good Challenge April. Wish I'd had more visitors for my posts, but that's the way it goes.

      Another vote for 40 Fingers.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. This was a very interesting match-up, LEE!

    Vocal Instrumental versus Guitar Instrumental... cool idea.

    I liked BOTH renditions, and enjoyed in the ingenuity of the first, but that Flamenco guitar sound has always greatly appealed to me. In fact, just the other day I was thinking about a Flamenco guitarist whom I would like to use in a BOTB installment before this year is out.

    I listened to both recordings twice before making up my mind on this one. (The second time, I listened while NOT watching the Swingle Singers video, because I felt the images were disturbingly distracting the first time.) But ultimately I decided that I HAD to cast my two cents into the FORTY FINGERS tip jar in this Battle. Great playing, great sound, great feel.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I've always liked the Flamenco guitar sound. But I've known of the Swingles since the sixties. Both are good.

      Again it's 40 Fingers.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I am equally impressed by both versions. You know I love guitar, and that would be my choice under most circumstances. But I really, really liked The Swingle Singers version, and since I can't say "split my vote between the two of them" (at least I don't think you can) I'm going to vote for the Swingles, because I can sense a runaway for 40 Fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, I think you sense right and helped out the voting outcome.

      A vote for Swingle Singers.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I have to go back and look up your a to z. I got sick and had no will to read much. Ok, this is an interesting battle and, though I appreciate the intricate difficulties in singing this, I was never a fan of this style so I give my vote to the great guitarists. They are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, if you do go back to any A to Z posts then I hope you leave a comment. I listed a lot of interesting books in my posts.

      Did you like The Nylons, the great Canadian acapella group from the eighties? That's who really focused my attentions on acapella music. Give them a listen if you don't remember them.

      Another vote for 40 Fingers.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. From my Cousin Tom on Facebook comes a vote for...

    40 Fingers

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Def the guitar instrumental. More relaxing and entertaining to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, if that's the way you see it then that's what it is for you...

      A vote for 40 Fingers.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I love this battle. Very, very interesting. As everyone says, both versions are good. The guitar guys' sound is certainly more familiar to the ears, and they will be the winners here. BUT, I think that the unique sound and difficulty of what the "singers" pulled off is worth my vote, so they get it.

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, glad you enjoyed the Battle. I hear you!

      A vote for Swingle Singers.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Such a unique battle! I enjoyed both the vocal and guitar instrumentals, but I love guitar music too much and must vote for 40 Fingers. Congrats on another successful A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, I agree that both versions are quite good.

      Another vote for 40 Fingers.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Wow! Both contenders are fantastic. Wish I could vote twice ;-) Please give my vote to 40 Fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, theoretically I guess you could vote twice, but then your vote would be essentially negated.

      A vote for 40 Fingers.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. This is a hard battle, Lee! The first version is compelling for the beautiful singing. How I wish I didn't croak like a frog when singing. And the second ~ I have always loved what I think of as classical Spanish guitar. I've listened to both songs twice, and I'll reluctantly vote for 40 Fingers because I really love them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FB, thank you for stopping by to listen and vote. I agree that it's a tough choice.

      A vote for 40 Fingers.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Forty Fingers Fellows in a land-sliding scale. These guys are fun! Matter of fact, now you have me listening to more of their stuff. Thanks for leading me off in another good direction, Arlee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I have noticed a lot of 40 Fingers video being suggested to me on YT.

      A vote for 40 Fingers

      Lee

      Delete
  13. If you'd like to see the outcome of this Battle then you can find it here:

    https://tossingitout.blogspot.com/2023/05/singers-and-stringers-showdown-botb.html

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee