This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

East River ( #AtoZChallenge )

Click here for the most recent Battle of the Bands.

      When is a river not a river?  Sounds like a riddle and there are probably a number of answers to this.  One answer is the East River in New York City...



East River

East River New York City (source)


         The East River in New York city is among the most known "rivers" in the United States.  Millions of people see, cross, or encounter this river each and every day.   The East River runs through the NYC metropolitan area separating or dividing all of the boroughs that make up the great city.  But most people probably don't realize that this so-called river is not a river at all.  The East River is actually a salt water tidal estuary that runs for 16 miles that is navigable to ships for its entire length.  Along the way the river is crisscrossed with numerous bridges and tunnels. 

        Anyone looking at this important waterway would likely think it is a river.  The East River used to be called the Sound River because of its connection to the Long Island Sound.  The river used to be a source for massive oyster beds and in earlier times oysters were so plentiful that they were considered "poor people's food".  Now those beds are gone and oysters are more like food for the more well to do.

        There are other East Rivers throughout the U.S. as well as a number of branches that carry the designation of "East" in their names. One such river that I've followed on the highway is the East Gallatin River in Montana. This river has a reputation for good fishing, but I wouldn't know since I don't fish. Sure is a nice river for looking at though. I'm pretty good at looking at stuff.

        Do you like to fish?   Do you like oysters?    Can you think of any other waterways that are called something that they are not?  






20 comments:

  1. I well recall that East River Lee whilst I was in New York City, Wonderful sight to see.
    I don't like fishing but my late husband adored it, spent many a hour by the river fishing he did.
    Have a good day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I only been fishing a couple times and didn't catch a thing. But I was with other people who didn't know much about fishing either.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. A false river ;) We used to fish when we were sailing, my husband and I, tuna, and other big ocean fishes. I like crabs too ;)
    Quilting Patchwork & Appliqué

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frederique, crab meat is delectable--one of my favorites.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Oysters as 'poor man's food'? Times definitely change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I wish oysters were still cheap enough for the poor. They've become too expensive for me except for certain special occasions.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I did not know it wasn't a river! I like smoked oysters that come in a little tin! I used to fly fish for trout in streams. Not for years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, fly-fishing seems like a very relaxing past time. It's something I've only tried once as I recall but I wasn't very successful at it.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Yay! Finally a river I have seen and been over! :-)
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/06/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-e/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain, if you are in the U.S. then I will surely cover a few more of them. I hope!

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I knew I'd love this theme, Lee! This is fascinating stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, what's not to love about rivers? They are the arteries that help keep us alive.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I used to love clam chowder before I went kosher, and must've tried oysters at some point. I don't think I liked the taste or texture of oysters, and eventually I grew to dislike clams as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, my wife won't touch oysters or clams. I think they might be a bit of an acquired taste--especially oysters. I've eaten them since I was a small child so I guess I've acquired the taste for them.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I did not know this is not a river..weird how everything is designated one thing or another. I have seen this "river" when I was in NYC years ago. What a shame about the oysters..we truly are destructive but, I do love Oysters, clams shrimp, scallops...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, yeah, I didn't either before writing this. People need to start farming more oysters! Make them inexpensive again!

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Lee,

    I don't know the answer to your question nor can I say I like to fish or oysters. I believe I have a mild food allergy to shell fish. I'm not a big seafood person but I do like chowders, shrimp, lobster, and breaded fish fillets. Sometimes these foods don't sit on my tummy right but if isn't bad then it's worth the inconvenience to indulge in these things once in awhile.

    Elmer Fudd Looney Tunes A-Z Art Sketch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, sometimes seafood does seem to bother my digestive system while other times I can eat and not be bothered. I do like shellfish though.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee