This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, April 5, 2021

Deep Creek ( #AtoZChallenge )

For my most recent Battle of the Bands please visit here.

What we can't see often stirs up the greatest fear within us even though what we can't see often amounts to nothing to fear...


#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter D

 

Deep Creek

       When I look at a river of which I cannot see the bottom, one of my first thoughts is how deep is it and what lies beneath those waters.  The deepness of a river holds perhaps its greatest mystery.  One must respect the power and danger of a river, but as is often the case with fear, fear is an irrational response.   

         River bottoms are primarily mud, sand, and whatever debris has come to rest on them.  Not that I would know for sure since I've never been to the bottom of a deep river, but having waded shallow rivers and looked into the clear waters of mountain rivers I can conclude that the biggest deepest rivers would be similar to smaller rivers other than perhaps larger debris and maybe a wider assortment of aquatic life.

         Some rivers are measured in a few feet while others are hundreds of feet in places.  The deeper rivers are sometimes navigable by ships and barges which is good for the transfer of goods and people.  There are watercraft that have met mishap and ended up in the depths of rivers.  Houses have even been known to be carried away by torrential river floodwaters.  Rivers can be as scary and they can be beautiful and serene.

        When I've crossed a wide, presumably deep river like the Delaware River of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware or the Detroit River in Michigan and looked down from a large bridge into waters many feet below I can't help but think those are rather deep waters.  After all, I can see the large ships making their ways up and down those rivers.  Big looking rivers just naturally seem like they would be deep rivers.

          Then there are names like Deep Creek near Bonner's Ferry, Idaho.   Deep Creek does not appear on the list of river names in the United States that I've been using for my A to Z series.  However, from my memories of seeing this water course, it looked pretty much like other mountain rivers I know. This is a memory from nearly forty years ago when I was touring with a road show.

           In those days I was managing a touring show and making all arrangements for accommodations for lodging for the cast.   At one point of the tour--it was July of 1984 I think--we were scheduled to play Kalispell Montana one night and then somewhere in British Colombia Canada the next.  Since we'd need to make a morning crossing at Bonner's Ferry Idaho, I made reservations based on a guidebook at a place called Deep Creek Lodge outside of the small town.

          After our Kalispell show we made the somewhat scary mountain drive of around 100 miles to our destination in Bonner's Ferry.  We arrived at the rural rustic resort somewhere around midnight.  After settling our baby daughter into bed in our cabin, my wife and I went to investigate the sound of babbling waters a few feet from our doorstep.  We sat out there in the warm dark evening listening to the waters as we tried to unwind after our tense drive.  It was one of the most peaceful times I ever experienced.

          The next morning we could actually see the waters of this creek or river or whatever it was and whatever it was, it was beautiful.  I'd like to have spent more time there, but our next town was waiting for us.  We had passed through another town, seen another ambiguous flowing of waters, and collected another road memory.

            Deep Creep is a fond memory for me though it is also a fleeting memory that evokes a feeling of longing and melancholy to a certain degree. Was it a river?   What does it all look like now after so many years?  I'd like to go back again, but I doubt that I ever will.  It's there waiting for me, perhaps not for my actual presence, but certainly in that misty memory of a time in what seems like a long distant past.

           Is there a favorite remote retreat that you enjoy visiting?    Do you like to stay in rustic settings surrounded by nature?  When is a creek a river?   







21 comments:

  1. I always wonder what is in the bottom of the river, as you do, mostly because I'masailor and need to know if there is enought water and no obstacle ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frederique, dangers can lurk below the waters.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Most enjoyable to read Arlee. There are many places I would like to re-visit..... but will have to wait a while.
    Deep Creek sounds a wonderful place and full of interest.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I see can see my days of visiting many places dwindling. Hope I can at least keep the memories.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. You never know what critters are at the bottom of a muddy river. I do lover rivers and, growing up, we had a creek on our property. It was very small and one I could jump across so I guess that is the reason it is called a creek. It would usually dry up in the summer but overflow in spring and fall. That place you went to sounds so magical and I would want to return to it. Sometimes, it still meets expectations but other times it can fall short. I swan in a quarry, ok no river, but it was muddy. I was wading when I felt some tug on my toes and, naturally, I got scared. When I looked to my right I saw this big black scaly thing show itself above the water. It was just the hump but I got out of there in a hurry. Many years later, my ex told me it was probably a rat snake. Another time I went swimming in the Welland River and stepped on a broken bottle and slip open my baby toe. I was crying and my neighbour carried me home, comforting me. I could see all this blood drip up my leg. To this day, my toenail can easily come off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, a rat snake doesn't sound like anything I'd want to encounter. You make a good argument for wearing water shoes or some kind of protection.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. To my (limited) knowledge, creeks are tributaries of rivers - rivulets, I believe. Not suitable for boats larger than say, a breadbox ;-) Creeks are pleasant places to read beside. I do love rustic places surrounded by nature. You can find many such places in Northern Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, in essence I think you are correct, but I've seen some streams and creeks that looked as large as other tributaries that are called rivers. Or maybe they were rivers and I just didn't know. Any stream of water can be pleasant especially when they babble and rush.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I love small creeks. Too many here are being diverted through drainage tunnels and that little bit of nature is lost. I'm getting my older brother's house ready to sell and his neighbor who is a good guy is chronically the development next to his property. I feel some sadness about the land being developed and he is excited as heck. Different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that should be chronicling not chronically lol

      Delete
    2. Ann, sometimes in populated or urban areas a stream can become a blight or a hazard so they must be tucked away somehow.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. The first thing I thought about on this post was when the St Mary's flooded at Decatur a few years (read decades) ago. It was a week before you could get into town from the north. It was certainly a "deeper Creek" than usual then!

    FYI and hopefully entertainment, I last minute put up my annual 1st half AtoZ mash-up last night. Might be good for a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, floods can be pretty inconvenient if not downright destructive.

      I'll get by to check out your mash-up.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Rustic settings surrounded by nature sounds like heaven. Hard to find such tranquility now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, it's certainly difficult to find much tranquility in my Los Angeles neighborhood.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. When I was very young, my father taught me to kick wet sand as I walked in the ocean at Cape Cod, to supposedly cover crabs and prevent getting bitten. I did that for years out of habit. Perhaps that wouldn't be such a bad idea in a river, where all sorts of things might be lurking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, I've kicked the sand under waters but just cause it looked cool. Didn't think about any other tactics like covering crabs.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Lee,

    When I was a kid, we did a lot of wadding in little creeks. The soft sandy creek bed squishes between the toes and the submerged rocks are slippery making it tricky to stay upright. Sometimes, we'd catch crawdads. They look like tiny lobsters. I didn't know then that you could eat crawdads and I rather like the taste of lobster, especially as in a Maine lobster roll. Yum!

    Daffy Duck Looney Tunes A-Z Art Sketch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I had crawfish in various dishes in Louisiana over the years and enjoyed them all. Yes, they are a bit like lobster.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee