This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, April 26, 2021

Verdant Valleys and River Banks ( #AtoZChallenge )

 The presence of  an abundance of water might make one expect an abundance of greenery and that is typically the case.  Water is an essential ingredient for photosynthesis in green plants hence the greenery along so many rivers...



#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter V


Verdant Valleys and River Banks


Photo by Aitor Olaskoaga on Unsplash


         When traveling across the United States from Los Angeles to points eastward one cannot help but notice the striking differences in the vegetation of the more arid West and the lush lands of the East where rainfall is far more abundant.  And with the rain comes rivers.

          Driving toward the Atlantic coast one begins to see larger rivers in Oklahoma when traveling I-40.  Greenery begins to abound from spring bloom to the falling of autumn leaves.  The change is striking after driving in the drier desert landscapes to a world that becomes ever more verdant as one nears the Mississippi River.  Arkansas seems to be a vast carpet of green dotted with cities and towns.  Then after crossing the bridge over the Big Muddy Mississippi the verdancy is profuse in the spring and summer. 

           The rivers of the eastern United States abound with vegetative growth and the wildlife that come with those areas.  Passing on the highway, one can look down upon rivers to see them lined with a array of green trees, plants, grasses, and all that contributes to the beauty of the Earth.  Now and then the passerby might see someone floating down a peaceful looking river through a jungle-like wonderland.

          Down on the river the relaxed floater must be in a state of blissful nirvana.  When I've floated down a river beneath over hanging trees with dense vegetation all around, there was a peaceful solitude that was intruded upon only by the chorus of hidden life among the plants on the shores.  One can daydream and be carried away from the normal troubles of the world.  And if the river itself is not threatening then there doesn't seem to be a care that can interfere with one's sense of sanity.

         Verdant valleys and river banks abound in the more rain saturated climes.  The green is worth saving so we can all enjoy this peaceful beauty with all of our senses.  But it's also worth taking care of for the future health of the Earth.   We need to love and respect our rivers.  They represent a Green cause that is very real.

          Where is the lushest most green place that you have been?   Do you have a favorite plant that might be considered to be mostly a river plant?    Would you like to float down a river this summer?






18 comments:

  1. Excellent post Arlee for the letter V. The lushest green place I think I've been to is when I lived in Ireland. I lived in County Fermangh which was lovely and green but also Souther Ireland has lovely spots also.
    Enjoy this new week.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I always associate Ireland with green places, but I guess green is their national color. Love to go to the home of my ancestry some day but I doubt that I will.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I might say the lushest place I've visited, that I can recall, was the Golan Heights. There are so many green hills there, and a lot of grasses and plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, I've never associated the Golan Heights with greenery, but I've never been there either and only experienced it through news reports about military activity.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Puerto Rico was the greenest, lushest, most densest vegetation growth I've ever seen. It did rain every day, for a short time, but it was a warm rain and even if you got drenched it wouldn't bother you and you'd be dry right afterwards. So much green! This was the north west end of the island, Isabela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I've seen travel shows about PR and it looks very lush and tropical. I wouldn't mind visiting there.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Love your descriptions of the rivers and their greenery. I've never been to Los Angeles or any other dry place, so can't imagine what it'd be like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Astrid, Los Angeles could be like a paradise if you got rid of much of the government and the bad people. Arid climes have certain advantages which is what attracts many people.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. My son took me kayaking a couple summers ago. Enjoyed it, but I'm bringing a butt-pillow next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I probably couldn't even get into a kayak these days. If I end up sitting on the floor it can be a chore for me to get back up.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. There is a nice river to float down near me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, so do you ever float on it? Where does it go?

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Lee,

    When we used to visit DH's parents in southern WV it was a lovely to travel through rural hills, along open fields where creeks have cut across the land. Cattle or other livestock once grazed there. In the springtime, lush green hillsides come alive with the little creeks often full from run-off or showers. The landscape that passes by fills me with peace, even evokes a dream-like state taking my mind often back to the past. It's really quite lovely. I used to be rather partial to Willow Trees which are often found near a body of water but they are really bad for bugs. Perhaps at one time floating down a river would appeal to me but not so much anymore. I just think about all the nasty stuff in open waters and that really creeps me out.

    Villain Looney Tunes A-Z Art Sketch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I too like willow trees. I didn't know about the bug problem. I miss driving out in the countryside like I used to do when I lived in Maryville. Now if we drive around it is mostly through urban landscapes which can be interesting in their own ways but not like the rural scenes you describe.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Jo-Anne, thanks for the visit.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Believe it or not, we do have a few areas where you can forget you're in Arizona. For example the confluence of the San Pedro and Gila rivers in Winkleman. Asheville, NC, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, and Kauai, Hawaii are beautiful places as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, Arizona has some marvelous places that are not arid desert. I especially like the drive between Phoenix to Flagstaff via Oak Creek Canyon. I recall it being a somewhat cool respite from the heat of Phoenix.

      Anyplace in the tropics tends to be wonderfully lush and verdant.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee