This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, April 2, 2021

Big Rivers ( #AtoZChallenge )

        For Battle of the Bands please visit here.  For my take on "Big Rivers" then roll on down the page just like a river rolls...

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter B


Big Rivers

       Big rivers haunt my memories.  If I close my eyes to imagine a river--a river from my dreams and childhood recollections--it's a big wide river crawling in twists and turns across the land.  I think about where it's going more than its origins.  Or where it is at the moment I see it--ominous with mystery and foreboding.

       When I was a child those big rivers scared me.  If I was riding in the car over a metal grate bridge I might look down to see the river far below with some trepidation that maybe the whole thing might collapse into the waters below.  What was in those murky waters?  I wondered.  

      As the roadway followed the course of a big river I might clutch the car seat in fear that my father or mother would be driving too close and our car might go off the road careening into that lumbering flow of the waters.  My concern would have likely been visible even if I had not verbally expressed my fear.

        "Don't be a worrywart," my mother would say, laughing off my anxiety.

         Apparently my younger sister Joy took delight in either the word or my agitation at her ribbing chiding me with, "You're such a worrywart."

          I watched the river with fascination and awe.  It was a mighty big river that I wouldn't want to fall into.  Maybe I was right to respect big rivers from a proper perspective.  I can't say I was terrified by those big rivers on seeing them.  More than anything I was curious.  And through the years I've remained curious about rivers in many ways.

            When we think of big rivers in the United States most of us probably name off rivers like the Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, or Hudson.  Big rivers typically conjure up images of wide rivers--the rivers of commerce and transportation.  We might think of barges and riverboats and impressive bridges crossing over the waters.   But rivers are more than that.

           What I used to think of as streams or creeks or some other similar smaller flows of water I have learned are actually just smaller rivers or tributaries that empty into larger rivers.  Some rivers move slowly across the landscape while others rush wildly as they carve and shape the terrain.  Big rivers are not only wide rivers, but also deep rivers and long rivers.  Some rivers might be big not so much in physical stature as in their importance in history or how they relate to society or culture.

          Throughout the ages people have recognized rivers and their importance to life.  Just like the veins and arteries that circulate the blood that keeps us alive, the rivers of a nation circulate and distribute the water supply that we all depend upon to sustain the population and the natural of order of things.  

         All rivers have their place of importance, but the big rivers are the result of the many smaller rivers coming together in the flow of the vital resource of water.  Maybe a metaphor for life?   Society?  History?

          Rivers can be a metaphor for many things to those of us who think in metaphors.   And a necessity for all of us no matter whether we think about rivers or not.  The rivers exist despite us.  Hopefully they will not disappear or be severely degraded because of us.

        What is the closest big river to where you are?   Which big river is your favorite?   Have you ever taken a river cruise?  



         

31 comments:

  1. A wonderful post Lee about big rivers, The biggest river to where I live is "The River Avon".
    Enjoy the Easter weekend.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, the Avon sounds historic. I guess it is.

      You have a blessed weekend.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Big rivers, little rivers... a river of liver and an ocean of fish. The one river I will NEVER forget is the Carrabassett River run in Maine. It was big rafting trip -- oh what fun that was. There is also the Saco River known for many undertows ...legend has it that many-a-child lost their lives due to those undertows (may have just been the parents trying to keep their kids from not swimming out too deep). I've got the Saluda River near but nothing like the rivers you speak of.
    Cheers,
    ☺Changing the way you think, changes how you feel♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crackerberries, Carrabassett rolls off the tongue nicely. I've seen a number of rivers throughout the U.S. named Saluda. It's a nice name.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I always loved rivers. I find them very stimulating for ideas, as well as relaxation 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jemima, rivers are always changing and they can be so unpredictable. Just the right mix for good story ideas.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Very cool choice for B- we live not even a mile from the Columbia River in Vancouver WA and before that we lived Lake Oswego OR maybe a mile from the Willamette River. I love kayaking and so it's been great living close to water. Have a great day- I will see you tomorrow- stop by my blog for soup if you have the time! Cheeers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathe, the Columbia is one of the biggies. I've only rafted--never kayaked.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Around here, the big river is the Chattahoochee. I used to cross over it every day on my way to work. The Chicago River might be my favorite, particularly the piece that runs through downtown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I've heard a few songs about that Chattahoochee River. The Chicago River looks pretty cool in those aerial shots you sometimes see.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. When we lived in Washington State, I remember singing "Roll On Columbia, Roll On." I loved traveling along the Columbia River between Washington and Oregon, gazing at the river from the car window.

    I've never taken a river cruise, but I've been white-water river rafting on the Wenatchee River (near Leavenworth, WA) and the Snake River (near Stanley, Idaho).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trudy, I do like roadways that follow rivers for long distances. Don't know about white water rafting at my age, but I guess a nice lazy float wouldn't be too bad.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I know just how you felt; worried about being too close to the edge! I was on a train bound for Silverton and as it rocked from side to side I hoped it wouldn't fall off the very narrow rail ;-)
    The closest big river to me (that runs year-round) is the Colorado.
    I'd love to take a river cruise one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I'd like to take that Silverton train one day.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. There is a big river that flows through the town I grew up in - well it flows through many towns of course - but it played a large part in the evolution of my town especially the textile industry and all the mills that needed the river to run. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maine, throughout history towns have sprung up along rivers. Water is so useful in so many ways.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Lots of streams in Hawaii but few actually called rivers. The longest is on the Big Island, 28 miles long, the Wailuku River. The tourist attraction on Kauai, the Waimea River, is 12 miles long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, even the small rivers are important. Rivers are like parts of a body.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Rivers are the arteries and veins that keep our earth moving. The more we block rivers or add crap into it, the more we hurt the body and us. I live 10 minutes from Lake Ontario and the Welland Canal. I grew up very near the muddy Welland River that has quite the undertow but my friend and I did swim across it. It’s not wide but it was still foolish I think but we were kids and kids can be stupid. I have seen other rivers and my hubby’s Aunt lives right on the Richelieu River which is very pretty. I took a cruise on the Danube twice. Once when I was 18 from Vienna to Budapest in a speedy tourist boat and the next time was in 1993 from Vienna to Melk....a 3 hour cruise and, thankfully, no Gilligan in sight. That cruise was so pretty as we passed many old towns, castles and we were right in the Wachau Valley where they make beautiful wines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, We certainly shouldn't be dumping harmful things into rivers. People need to use common sense and evaluate consequences of their actions.

      I've seen videos of those European river cruises and they look wonderful.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I love rivers too, the ones that come down from the mountains with lots of splashing. I live in this part of France where it's quite flat, gentle ills, so no rivers like that! But large and quiet rivers, and navigable canals, great to bike along the sides ;)
    Quilting Patchwork & Appliqué

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frederique, all rivers have their charm and aspects of interest. I like a rushing mountain river just about as much as a wide lumbering river. So much variety in rivers and so much value.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Sacony Creek is the nearest, though is that a river? The Schuylkill River is probably next, and I've been over it many a time. That's where Boathouse Row is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J, I've seen waterways called "rivers" that seemed to be a small as what is typically considered a creek. Not sure who decides which is which.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. I've been across the Ohio twice- once I was young and too petrified to look, the other I was an adult (so they say) and was driving and never actually got a look through all the bridge structure. Have had some good views of it from great American Ball Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, the Ohio is an immense river. It's one to respect with the right amount of fear.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. I'd love to take a cruise down the Danube someday. For much of my life, I lived by the Hudson River and drove over it often several times a day. My mother's parents also used to live in a house with a creek behind it, and I loved playing in the creek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, the Danube would be wonderful. I'll be featuring the Hudson in an upcoming post.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Lee,

    I guess the closest one to us is the Tennessee River. I really don't like crossing large bodies of water, especially when they are elevated quite high like the Gay Street Bridge or the French Broad River bridge between Knoxville & Asheville which you are familiar with or similar heights. Bridges found along the highway and rural roads don't scary me so much just as long as the water beneath isn't threatening.

    Bugs Bunny Looney Tunes A-Z Art Sketch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, my wife gets scared crossing high bridges. I kind of like it unless traffic is too crazy.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. I grew up near a tributary of the Brisbane River in Australia. Luckily our house was up high as the river itself has flooded the city severely at least three times in a major way. Fierce when it gets going.

    https://cassmobfamilyhistory.com/

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee