This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Thursday, April 1, 2021

Allegheny River ( #atozchallenge & #BOTB )

        Welcome to another year of the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge!  This will be my 12th year doing this thing.  Hope I finish these alphabet posts this month and hope you will stay with me in this journey.  How about a float down a river?  Or many rivers?   My general theme for this month will be "Rivers" from a number different perspectives.  Today we set sail our first rivers of this series.   Enjoy...


             #AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter A


Allegheny River

        The biggest "A" river would be the Amazon River in South America, but in my series I will be focused on Rivers of America and primarily rivers I have crossed or that have played some role in my life and memories.  

         One of the rivers that I would include according to my criteria might be Florida's Apalachicola River, a river that I have crossed several times while driving I-10 in the Panhandle region.  The musical sounding name comes from the indigenous people who used to live along the river.

          Also I will include the Atchafalaya River of Louisiana which while passing over on I-10 seems more like a vast swamp than a river and a swamp is what it is under that lengthy stretch of causeway that passes over the waters below.  The name, which means "long river" comes from the Choctaw language. A good many rivers in the United States have names that come from indigenous languages.  At 137 miles the Atchafalaya is a pretty long river--not the longest, but by discharge it is one of the largest rivers in the United States.  That's a fairly substantial river I'd say.

          A river that is close to where I live--and a river that is sometimes dry (the name means "dry stream" in Spanish)--is Arroyo Seco in Los Angeles county California.  For nearly 25 miles this river meanders from the San Gabriel Mountains through Pasadena and into the city of Los Angeles until it empties into the Los Angeles River (more on this one when I get to "L").  

          However, the river that reaches furthest back into my memory is the 325 mile Allegheny River winding its way through Pennsylvania and New York.  In Pittsburgh Pennsylvania this mighty river merges with the Monongahela River (more on this one in "M") to form the even mightier Ohio River (watch for a post on this one as well). 

            In 1958 my family moved to Pittsburgh for a one year stay and I often saw or crossed the Allegheny River.  Early on this river became part of my fascination, along with a sense of awe bordering on a touch of fear about rivers.  The name Allegheny can be found throughout Pennsylvania attached to mountains, counties, towns, and many other places.  The Allegheny River has played a major role in the growth and development of the U.S.A.--a major waterway in this nation's history as well as my own personal history.


Battle of the Bands




        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this                                                                              post for more Battle action.

       I dedicate this Battle to my friend of over fifty years, Marvin Lowe, who lives  in East Tennessee.   More on this in my results post which will come a week from this current post. 

Many Colored Rivers

        Rivers can come in colors and there have been a number of songs written about rivers with color names.   In this Battle I present two well-known songs each in a different color.  Rather than using original artist recordings I'm going to use two well known recording artists who did covers of the songs.  Listen and let us know which song you like best...


Elton John   "Yellow River"  (1970)

        Before Elton John achieved his fame as a solo artist he was a bit of a song hack recording cheaply made pop albums that reproduced budget versions of songs from the hit charts.  Here Elton recreates the song made famous by the Australian group Christie...




Alabama   "Green River"   (1982)

        In 1969 this song was a big hit for Creedence Clearwater Revival. The Hollies might have ripped off the basic melody and structure of the song for their hit "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress"--the courts decided that maybe they did and John Fogerty won half of the revenue from that song as well. The country group Alabama added more money to Fogerty's coffers when they did a nice cover of "Green River".    Here it is--see what you think...





Time to Vote!
        
          Hope you immerse yourself in this river of music.  Yellow, green?  Where not talking colors, but songs   How about taking a few minutes to play along in this Battle of the Bands.  I hope you'll at least give the versions a listen to discern your favorite.   Which version do you prefer?   Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 


A I Love Music



Winner of this Battle Announced on Thursday April 8th
 
         With the April A to Z posts I'll be blogging everyday except Sundays so you'll have plenty to read here on this site if you want to stay with me.  But if you voted in this Battle and want to see the results then come back on April 8th when I'll post which song came out as a reader favorite.

      Do you have a favorite river that begins with the letter "A"?     Have you thought about rivers being an influence in your life story?    Are there any encounters you've had with the rivers I've mentioned in this post?  




60 comments:

  1. Great theme Lee for the A to Z. I well recall that first year much water have flowed under the rivers in that time.
    My choice for the BOTB IS Elton John#s Yellow River.
    Have a good month.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, the years have certainly passed as well as a dozen Challenges. Water under the bridge I guess we can say.

      First vote goes to Yellow River.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I've crossed two of those rivers, the Allegheny River several times.
    Definitely voting for Elton John.
    Have fun with the Challenge! I'll be by when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, Anyone driving through PA will likely cross the Allegheny at some point. Often I think many people cross rivers without even knowing what rivers they are or that they've even crossed a river.

      Another vote for Yellow River.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Hey Arlee! My 6th challenge this year, can never forget how you mentored and supported me the first time around in 2015. As always a pleasure to read from you. https://poojapriyamvada.blogspot.com/2021/04/anteayer-newnormal-a2z.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pooja, thanks for joining us over these past years and for this 2021 Challenge. And appreciate your visit to my blog on this first day of April.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Rivers is a great theme, Arlee.

    https://suestrifles.wordpress.com/2021/04/01/acknowledge-atozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan S., There are so many rivers from which to choose that this theme could be used a number of times.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Lee,

    My first thought was the Allegheny Mountains in West Virginia when I saw your post title. I thought for sure the Allegheny River might pass through my home state but I was wrong about that. :) I can’t think of an “A” river name right off. I don’t know that I ever thought how a river influences my life. The only river mentioned I’d have a shot at crossing is the Allegheny. On one of our trips to New England, we passed through Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Does that put me close to the Allegheny River? I tried to find it on Google Maps but there’s too many distractions. Oh well… giving the info you provided there’s a possibility that we might have been close to it. Thanks for making me curious!

    Now for your battle. Both songs are fabulous. I think I’m going to give my vote to YELLOW RIVER by Elton John.

    My posts are split out today. Come be apart of things at Curious as a Cathy when you can, my friend.

    BoTB: You Only Live Twice Showdown

    Looney Tunes A-Z Art Sketches series: ACME Mail Order Catalog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, the Allegheny name has been used for so many geographical locales and it's found in several states. One might expect that the river of that name might pass through WV. The big river in Harrisburg is the Susquehanna. The Allegheny is a bit north of Harrisburg.

      Again it's a vote for Yellow River.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Lee,

      Thanks for setting my mind straight. Incidentally, I spent this morning finally catching up with you. I can't believe I didn't get beyond your first post. I could've sworn I visited you more but no comments by me were found. It's been a little challenging for me this month but I'm getting there. :)

      Delete
    3. I understand. I've been trying to just keep up with my own daily posts while trying to visit as many other blogs as I can. Seems like I never can get far, but that's the Challenge of it all!

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Those rivers certainly have fascinating names. I can think of the Alakananda River, which is a Himalayan river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalpana, so many rivers in the U.S. have names that come from indigenous languages which gives them exotic sounds. The river you mention has a name that would not seem out of place in the U.S.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Interesting theme. Love Yellow River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanne, hope I can keep this theme interesting. Not the theme's fault if I don't.

      A vote for Yellow River.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Just dropping in from the #A-Z Blogging Challenge. Your adventure looks to be a real treat. I’ll definitely be back to check out more. If I were to choose a favorite "A" river, I’d have to go with the Androscoggin River in Maine where I grew up. It brings back memories. I'm gonna definitely have to go with Alabama's Green River... ♫♪♫ it's just a more fun song.

    Cheers,
    Crackerberries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CB, that river name in Maine is a good one--rolls off the tongue!

      At last a vote for Green River.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Great theme! Have you read "River-horse" by William Least Heat Moon? A great rivering tale.

    This year, I'm posting:
    Art work: https://www.anne-m-bray.com/blog
    and
    Shoes: https://repeatsamb.blogspot.com/search/label/A-Z%202021

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I have not read that book. Hippopotamus means "river horse" but judging from the author name I wouldn't expect the book to be about those animals. Just a guess.

      Glad to have you back with us in the A to Z.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Interesting theme. I live in Hollister, CA, several miles from Arroyo Seco in Monterey. I did not know about the one in Los Angeles County.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaime, I'd say that since Arroyo Seco is a descriptive term that the name might be used in many places throughout the Southwest. Probably most people don't even notice this "dry river" in Los Angeles.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I must have crossed the Allegheny, or been close to it, when I travelled from New York to Pennsylvania, but somehow I missed it altogether! Look forward to more river-related posts :-)
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/01/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-a/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain, so often there is no fanfare or big deal about crossing a river other than maybe a small name sign that is easily missed. Not like in earlier times when crossing a river was often a major ordeal.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. From Facebook comes a vote from my Cousin Tom for...

    Yellow River.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've spent many an hour riverside in contemplative meditation, and so I'm really delighted with your choice of topics. I'm going to vote for Elton.

    https://deborah-weber.com/ludic-lexicon-a/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, a riverside can be such a wonderful place for contemplation and observation.

      A vote for Yellow River.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Speaking of the Allegheny - I live in the Southern Tier of New York and we have an Allegany County - and a Allegheny River rest stop on I-86 westbound, which I blogged about for my A to Z today. So, we spell it both ways. I live somewhat near the Susquehanna river and have been through two river floods - not fun at all. When I worked in downtown Binghamton, New York, a work friend and I would sometimes walk a trail on our Chenango River on our lunch. So yes, I enjoy rivers and have spent time here and there near them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alana, the Allegheny and variant names are found in so many places in the southeast. From what I'm reading it sounds like the name is in reference to the river and features that relate to it. A flood would be such a destructive force. I'd hate to have to contend with one.

      I enjoy walking along rivers.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. No actual rivers where I live now, Arlee, so look forward to reading about the many rivers you've chosen to write about in your April AtoZChallenge2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, if you're in Hawaii then I'm guessing your flowing waters would be more like streams than big rivers. I've seen some nice waterfalls in documentary shows about Hawaii.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. Beautiful names for these rivers!
    I vote for Elton John, and it reminds me of the French version, "L’Amérique" by Joe Dassin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2enzcl83o).

    Quilting Patchwork & Appliqué - A = Abat-jour/Lampshade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frederique, a lot of rivers have rather beautiful--or interesting--names.

      Again a vote for Yellow River.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. Elton John gets my vote because I just prefer the style more and would listen to it again. I believe I must have crossed the Allegheny River...maybe. I am trying to remember to be honest. Years ago when we went camping and I may have been near it on my jaunt to Jimmy Stewart's hometown. I will check it out later. I think of the Amazon and it is a river i never would want to be on or in with all the animals that can eat you up alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, if you went to Indiana Pennsylvania then my guess is that at some point you probably crossed the Allegheny River. You would have been close at least. I might not mind a cruise down the Amazon in the right kind of boat, but it all does seem a bit wild for my tastes at my current age.

      A vote for Yellow River.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. Thank you, for sharing Rivers with us which my son and I can check out for our Homeschooling Classes. I look forward to getting to know you through the challenge which I am also taking part in. As for the Battle of the Bands I will also share this with my son for Music Class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, hope I might provoke your son's curiosity about American rivers. They have played such a vital role in our history and our economy. Thanks for visiting today.

      Lee

      Delete
  19. I'm going to enjoy your river theme! The Snake River (Hell's Canyon, Idaho) comes to mind. Whitewater rafting was terrifying, but the views were breathtaking ;-)

    My vote goes to Alabama for their rendition of Green River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, hope you do enjoy my river theme. Actually, I hope I can finish it this April. When I think of the Snake River the first thing that comes to my mind is Evil Knievel and his rocket bike.

      A needed vote for Green River.

      Lee

      Delete
  20. I really love rivers, and this is a great theme. I live near the Niagara River and sometimes, when I'm walking in the park close to the river, I can see the foam rising from Niagara Falls. That is so cool. As for the Allegheny River, it extends into New York. One of the odd things about that name is that, in New York, it's spelled Allegany. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, I've always been interested in rivers. So many places you can take a theme like this.

      The Niagara is an amazing river not just because of the falls either.

      That spelling variant is kind of odd.

      Lee

      Delete
  21. I don't have an A river to add to your list... but I will put in my vote between 2 very good covers for Alabama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, there are a lot of nice rivers in your part of the country.

      A vote for Green River.

      Lee

      Delete
  22. Being Maine focused, I would go with Allagash for this one. It's a river and a brewery! Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maine, I'm not very familiar with Maine as I've only visited a small portion of the southern part. I know Maine has a lot of waterways. One with a brewery sounds nice.

      Lee

      Delete
  23. Stuart, the theme is one that came to me at the last minute. I was ready to do something else and then the river thing came to me because of this Battle of the Bands I wanted to do.

    A vote for Green River.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  24. BOIDMAN LEE ~

    I like the way you worked your river theme into this BOTB installment.

    I LOVE where I live now -- Carson City -- the capitol of Nevada. Just two or three miles from my house is the small Carson River.

    See:
    https://i.imgur.com/K0JJh5u.jpg

    Here's a fun fact: Most people believe that Carson City was named after Kit Carson, the famous Western explorer. But, actually, it was the Carson River that was named after Kit Carson, and then later Carson City was named after the Carson River. Yes, it all amounts to the same thing, but it's a little known fact that the river got its name BEFORE the city did.

    In this Battle, I'm definitely on the side of the minority, as my vote easily goes to ALABAMA and the song 'GREEN RIVER'. I'm quite surprised that this Battle is so lopsided and favoring what I would have thought to be the underdog in this contest. Oh, well, it's BOTB, so anything can happen! BOTB could be translated into "Expect The Unexpected".

    ~ STMcC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, actually my river theme came about because of this particular Battle that I wanted to do so I figured why not make a whole theme about rivers. It's a theme that touch on a lot of ideas.

      That's a lovely river photo. Kind of foreboding and eerily beautiful.

      I agree about the unexpected trend this Battle has taken. I figured more people would have been familiar with the CCR song and would vote for that one.

      A vote for Green River.

      Lee

      Delete
  25. I really got into Elton's "Yellow River." The story behind that is that The Tremeloes recorded it, but decided not to issue it, so the producer stripped out their vocals and gave it to Christie to do. I wish he had thought of having Elton do it, because Elton really rocked it. Needless to say, Elton gets my vote.

    The only river whose name begins with A that I've seen was the Allegheny...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, I guess at the time Elton John was really on the radar and just hacking out cover songs. I do like the Christie version a lot though.

      A vote for Yellow River.

      Lee

      Delete
  26. I've been in the Allegheny River. Though I'm mostly on the other side of PA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J, Now I'm wondering if you were actually "in" the Allegheny and if so, what were you doing there?

      Lee

      Delete
  27. It's a bit late, but Green River is better to me. We have the Altamaha here is Georgia. I'm enjoying this years A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, thank you for your still on time vote for...

      Green River.

      Lee

      Delete
  28. So many interesting rivers to read about. This will be a fun theme to follow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcy, a lot of rivers in the world. Too many to cover in a month.

      Lee

      Delete
  29. My vote is for yellow river.
    My favorite version is by Christie and an honorable Verdi’s by the Tremolos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvin, got it right in the last minute.

      A vote for Yellow River.

      Lee

      Delete
  30. Always look forward to your BOTB! I vote for Yellow River because it's new to me. Enjoy this year's A to Z!

    Here from A to Z. Visit me at http://theroadweveshared.com/blog where our theme is Down syndrome in the media.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee