This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Whitewater ( #AtoZChallenge )

        Whitewater presents a thrilling challenge to some while to others it might be the threat of danger or even death.   I mean, seriously--after watching a film like Deliverance do you really want to go down a treacherous whitewater river?


#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter W


Whitewater

Scene from "Deliverance"  (Metrospirit)


       After watching the movie Deliverance with my friends in 1972, we were psyched up to find our own whitewater adventure.  Well, they were--maybe not so much wimpy me.  Floating down a river was one thing, but I wasn't sure that I was ready to risk life and limb going through torrential waters.  It looks fun, but living a long life seemed more important to me.  Bottom line is that I never tried shooting any whitewater rapids and now at this stage of my life it is unlikely that I ever will.

        But if I did try whitewater rafting where would I go?   In earlier posts I mentioned the Ocooee, Tellico, Snake, and James Rivers.  They all offer whitewater opportunities along with outfitters who will rent you the necessary gear to shoot the rapids those rivers offer.  Then for an ultimate thrill I might go to the Grand Canyon for a teeth-on-edge trip down the iconic whitewater stretch of the Colorado River.  That one sounds heart-stopping indeed!

        However, since this post is for "Day W" of the A to Z Challenge, let me stay within the parameters of this letter.  One place where I would not go is the Wood River of Illinois.  At only 2.4 miles long running though urban areas near St. Louis MO, the Wood River sloughs along until dumping into the Mississippi River.  This is probably a river not even conducive to a quiet downstream float, but I wouldn't know since I've only crossed this river in a car while driving and didn't pay any attention that a river was there.

        The nearly 300 mile long Washita River passing through Texas and Oklahoma looks like a wonderful waterway for a peaceful float and for a short distance there is even a respectable stretch of rapids through a canyon.   Likewise the over 500 miles long Wabash River of Ohio, Indiana and Illinois allows for a lot of calm drifting upon the waters though in Indiana there is a decent stretch of whitewater that draws many enthusiasts of the sport.

         For the truest whitewater experience one might be better off going to the state of Washington to tackle the Wenatchee River.  Many tourists and serious whitewater fans visit the Wenatchee River region every year for thrilling river experiences.  This river is only 53 miles long but it has more whitewater than many rivers of a far greater length.

        I'll leave the whitewater adventures for those with more daring than I have.  I'm sure it's a lot of fun, but I'll take their word for it.

        Have you ever gone whitewater rafting, kayaking, or canoeing?    What is your favorite film that features whitewater adventures?   Is there something that other people do that you would never try?

 





28 comments:

  1. I well remember the film "Devliverence" Lee. As I don't swim would never venture in a canoe or boat for fun.
    Great post as always and very interesting to learn about the rivers in your country.

    Have a good day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, the book Deliverance was by poet James Dickey. It's an excellent read and the movie followed it closely.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Deliverance is one of my favorite movies, but I'm not ashamed to say I'm too chickensh*t to tackle such an adventure. Canoeing? Sure. Kayaking? Possibly, but nothing quite like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Press, even when I was younger I was hesitant to try overly daring things. And now I'm pretty cautious about what I undertake as I don't care for an early appointment with the undertaker.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I've gone Whitewater rafting down the New River in West Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, that's a beautiful river. I've seen it from the highway or in pictures.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Lee,

    I've fallen behind with return visits but hopefully I can work my way backwards today to catch up. :) Whitewater rafting is of no temptation for this gal. I'm a big scardey-Cathy all the way. I remember my BFF telling me that she and her husband took one of the whitewater rafting trips in the Smoky's. She exclaimed, "I thought I was going to die!" The way she said it and knowing her so well, I had to laugh but still I can imagine how scary it was. I don't even like amusement rides. Oh sure, I'm okay on a carousal but anything that resembles danger then forget it. I think there's a whitewater rafting scene in The Edge with Anthony Hopkins and Alex Baldwin. By the way, that was a great movie! Oh yes, I would never try bungee jumping. Like you living is more important to me than jumping to my possible death. The fall might not kill me but I'm pretty sure my heart would stop! I'm a keep my feet on the ground kind of a gal all the way. Call me square but I'm happy living a square life then not having a life at all to live. :D

    Wile E. Coyote Looney Tunes A-Z Art Sketch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, well, I'm pretty much a wimp especially so as I get older. I'd hate to break any body parts or have like a heart attack or something. I used to love amusement rides but now I might hesitate a bit. Rode a Ferris wheel about five years ago and nothing since.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. No white water for me. Oh, there are plenty of things other people do I'd never try! Bungee jumping, parachuting, skydiving... those come to mind first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa (1), never done any of those latter things you mention and likely never will.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I have been white water rafting once -- down the Arkansas river. It was thrilling and awesome and terrifying all at once! It was in late May or early June and the river was very fast with snowmelt and the water was very cold. There was a large group of us and we all rented wetsuits but I think it was the coldest I have ever been. I would do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa (2), I don't like being cold so I might not like that experience.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. The River Wild comes to mind for me. I've never gotten so adventurous, the most I've ventured is tubing done the Apple River back in the 80s. Although I would never attempt either one, I understand the thrill of skydiving but will never understand the point of bungee jumping.
    https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, I do recall liking The River Wild. Bungee jumping seems so iffy--more iffy than other daring things.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I went whitewater rafting (Class IV) on the Wenatchee when I was much younger, and it was a blast. Seemed like we were airborne half the time. I wanted to go on a class V after that experience, but never did.

    A few years ago I went on what was supposed to be a whitewater adventure on the Salmon River near Stanley, Idaho, but we only went through two very measly rapids. I was so disappointed (it was the wrong time of year for whitewater).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trudy, the Wenatchee looks exciting. I've seen films and stills of it. I probably wouldn't have been too disappointed with your Salmon River experience--probably relieved.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I've been canoeing a few times on rivers and enjoyed it. There's a lot of kayaking around the lakes near here but haven't tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade Li, I don't think I've ever tried kayaking either.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I had a friend who went on a once-in-a-lifetime whitewater rafting vacation (in Colorado? can't remember now). She had a fabulous time and brought back incredible photos. But I am with you -- give me a rowboat on a safe, serene lake, and I'd be just as happy. Thanks for your A to Z visit to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, now maybe more my speed is that I'll watch a show about whitewater rafting on my television in my living room.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Dear Arlee, I agree with you, there. Safety before anything, Better to have a large calm pond at the bottom than a 29 feet waterfall. My first experience, was sliding down slick rock, in a bathing suit in a river in present Bosnia, ex-Yugoslavia , between the Adriatic and Sarajevo, a river in the trees, mountains. The rock so polished, it was like going down a chute, to eventually fall in a deep rock pool with clear, pure, cool water... a natural zacussi. Heaven . But you should have seen the face of my mother, shouting at my father. Don’t let them do that ! You’re all going to drown or break your neck ! My sister perched , terrified , crouching on the end, tentatively risking a toe after a careful climb down some rock steps. No way, she was going to plunge into unknown water, where she’d never been . The bottom was clear as crystal. We could see the gem pebbles gleam and tiny or larger fish slithering, darting around. My father laughing at my recklessness and joy: the Bunny who’s not afraid..... I was 9.
    At 20, we jumped off a 15th foot cliff into a similar rock, pool in the mountains of Corsica: water, just as freezing, but our wet imprint on the bank , drying within seconds...
    Thanks for sharing Arlee. Happy Wednesday. Immensely enjoying your river saga this year.
    Take care and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan B, loved the story of your experience. As kids we sometimes seem to be unbreakable and become fearless--or perhaps foolhardy. If we survived childhood then it can make for wonderful memories as well as fertile ground for contriving stories.

      Thanks for the wonderful comment.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. The first movie that came to my mind is "River Wild" Truly intense. Every time I watch it ;-) I'm happy enough with a book on the bank of any river or stream. What I wouldn't do? Well, I have this friend who juggles knives... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I'm not much of a Meryl Streep fan, but I did like River Wild. I would juggle knives if they were balanced correctly. I think I still have a set of juggling knives somewhere in my garage.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Jo-Anne, I like to look at it but I'd probably be something like terrified to be out on it.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. I'll just 'toss in' the story, several years back on a vacation day trip, urine and thirst forced us to stop in at a small (read: SMALL)town gas station. Immediately after pulling out, we got behind a car with the bumper sticker: "Paddle faster, I hear banjos". Truer words...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, That's funny. They were embracing the old cliche.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee