This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, April 30, 2021

Zigzag River ( #AtoZChallenge )

 Rivers flow hither and yon, round and about, fast and slow.  Rivers go where rivers go and then the cycle begins again...



#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter Z


Zig Zag River

The Zigzag River flows from its headwaters on Mt. Hood( Photo by instagrammer tomgolfkam).



          Zig zagging across this continent as well as continents throughout the world, rivers are everywhere.  The rivers come in all sizes and appearances.   They wind, they snake, they crawl, and often they rampage with an apparent frenzied rage as they persist in getting to their ultimate destinations.
 
          Some rivers move in a zig zag path while one river is named "Zigzag".  The Zigzag River in Oregon is only 12 miles long but it boasts some formidable whitewater rapids in its final 3 miles before it reaches the confluence with the Sandy River.  In this part of Oregon the Zigzag name is everywhere from the Zigzag Glacier where the Zigzag River begins to the Zigzag Falls along the river course to the small community of Zigzag at the merging of the Sandy River.   You get a larger than normal dose of Z's in this part of Oregon.

         To close my A to Z Rivers of America series let us look at a final river running through New Mexico and Arizona--the Zuni River.   Considered sacred by the Zuni tribe, their namesake river struggles for survival in the arid desert where it sometimes flows.  In drier seasons the river might go from a trickle to apparent nothingness.  Yet the river persists as it has persisted for seemingly as long as the Earth has been around.  From the fossils that are found in the surrounding river basin to the Zuni people who lived on this land long before Europeans arrived, the Zuni River exemplifies the longlastingness of rivers.

        Dream of rivers.  Experience rivers.  Watch the rivers flow and imagine what has been and what will be.  The rivers belong to all of us.  They help economies thrive and ecosystems to survive.  You can't hug a river, but you can love them.  Love them for the life they provide.   Rivers are life.

      Can you think of a river that is more harmful than not?   Do you think it is good to control rivers with artificial measures like dams or channels?    If you could name a river, what name would you like to use?








24 comments:

  1. An excellent post for letter Z. Wonderful to read.
    Congratulations Lee on completing yet another challenge.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, Another one behind us. It wasn't so bad.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on finishing the Challenge.
    The Zigzag is a really short river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, next time maybe you can join us again.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your river posts this year. Thanks for another fun A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcy, thank you for your visits to my blog.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Lee,

    So, there's really a 'Zigzag' river, who knew? You did a fine job finishing up your Rivers in America series. It was nice to visit many of these and some of which I've experienced. Congratulations for crossing the A2Z finishing line with me and thanks for hosting the blogfest event another year. Have a zensational weekend. You've earned the right to get a few more hours of Zzzs tomorrow morning!

    Zonk Looney Tunes A-Z Art Sketch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, if I could sleep more than 7 hours I would be amazed.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. The Zigzag river sounds awesome! I wonder if altitude had anything to do with swift descents and rapids? I appreciate your closing summary of rivers and how they represent (to many) the ebb and flow of life.

    Congratulations, Lee! You've once again aced the challenge in a most remarkable way ;-) I enjoyed every post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, yes I'm sure the Zigzag River is affected by the altitude and the fact it's running off a mountain in mountainous terrain.

      Thank you for your visits and especially your encouraging comments.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I am quite against large dam projects. Small hydro-electric is different. Three Gorges Dam comes to mind, such devastation to a one of a kind area, and flooding of the towns. I'm all for removing Hetch Hetchy (CA), for there we'll find another Yosemite! Talk the people of LA and Las Vegas to give up their lawns and pools...
    Of course, I am biased against dams. As a child we'd visit them (not on purpose, they happened to be where we went! Grand Coulee, Hoover...) and my family would walk out to the middle and my mother would insist, "Lisa, Look down! Look down!" I still have nightmares of dams and bridges and will not drive across large bridges or even look at dam photos!
    So, anyway, thanks for so much info on rivers! Great A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I'd like to give up my lawn so I could eliminate that expense from my household budget, but my neighborhood association would fine me until I replaced it.

      I can see merit in dams and using the power of rivers, but it needs to be done wisely.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on completing the run through A to Z. The sound of water can be soothing from winding trickling cascading rivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy, I'd like some soothing water sounds right now along with some cool mountain air. Thanks for your visits.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. A lot of rivers can be named Zigzag 😉 Great challenge, congratulations of completing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frederique, Zigzag can be a fitting name for a lot of rivers, but that might get repetitious. Thanks for your regular visits to my blog.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I grew up near the Mississippi and Illinois rivers. Oh, the floods in the spring!
    Our creeks made their way to the big rivers. We spent much time in those creeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan K, Floods can be devastating, but they also can be good settings for stories.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Thanks for another great challenge and for educating us about so many rivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dino, thank you for being a part of this 2021 Challenge!

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Great job with the rivers this year, Arlee. I have enjoyed looking at all the waterways. Thanks fo hosting another terrific year.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, it's been a good A to Z this year even though I've had a difficult time keeping up with everyone.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I really enjoyed your A to Z posts this year. Bodies of water have always called to my soul.

    From memories of playing The Oregon Trail, one of the most dangerous rivers to me is the part of the Columbia River in Oregon where the Cascades Rapids are. So many pioneers met their end trying to cross that river near the end of the trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, the Columbia is a wild and treacherous river, but it sure is beautiful and important.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee