This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, April 24, 2021

Underwater Contemplations ( #AtoZChallenge )

       Ever wonder what might be found under the waters of a river?   Sunken vessels?  Lost valuables?  Dead bodies?   Maybe any of these and more...


#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter U


Underwater Contemplations

Underwater scenery  (pinterest)


              Decades ago I shared a cabin near the Great Smoky Mountains with three of my friends. We were within easy walking distance of the park boundary which gave us ample opportunity to hike some amazing secluded trails that were not frequented by many hikers.  

            One trail that began near our cabin went to the top of Kelly's Ridge where we found a large spring or outpouring of water that disappeared into a very deep sinkhole.  The waterfall was perhaps 50 feet high or so and the hole maybe was as much as a hundred feet deep.  Relying on memory it's difficult to say.  The water vanished into what appeared to be a cave.  Due to the great depth we never attempted to descend into this sinkhole.  However, along the trail that led up to the sinkhole we found a number of potential entrances into a cave system.  Most of these entrances were far too small to get through, but there was one point near the bottom of the mountain with a large opening that seemed to dead end until we realized that there was a narrow crevice that one could crawl through in order to descend into the cave system that likely connected to the spring some distance away.

          Crawling on our bellies we descended though this crevice for perhaps thirty feet until we could hear what sounded like a rushing of waters.  At the bottom of the passage we found ourselves at the top of an approximately eight foot waterfall that seemed to be coming out of the ground at the higher level and descending into a larger room with a sandy bottom where the pooling water from the fall was draining into the ground presumably to reemerge somewhere further down the mountain where the stream most likely emptied into nearby Laurel Lake.  We never bothered to continue following the stream but it seemed obvious that this waterway had descended mostly underground from the spring at the mountaintop.  

         The waterfall was the highlight of that particular cave.  There were tight passageways that continued for a considerable length, but none of us were particularly enthusiastic about pursuing the exploration.  It was an interesting experience that I did with various friends about three times until I started having nightmares about being trapped underground.  That was it for me.  And anyway, soon after those spelunking treks we moved from the cabin and I never went back there to hike.

        My experience was with what I would call an underground stream, but there are a number of underground rivers that are quite similar.  There are also rivers that don't necessarily go through cave systems, but they just disappear under the ground.  In my research for this River Series I even ran across stories about rivers that are under the ocean or under other rivers.  What we might not fully know the full extent is whether there are layers of rivers that descend deep into the Earth.

      When I think about rivers--especially the larger ones--I am more apt to think about what is under the river waters.  Some rivers are dredged and most likely some of the debris at the bottom is cleaned up in that process.   But what about those rivers that are not cleaned in some such way?   What secrets do they hold?

        A few years ago in East Tennessee the Chilhowee Lake was drained in order to do maintenance on the dam holding back the waters of the Little Tennessee River which formed the lake. Most of the lake bottom was exposed during this maintenance project.  As a result many remnants of the past were exposed such as vehicles dumped in the lake, old building foundations, bridges that had been inundated, and a vast assortment of other refuse and oddities.  

        Shortly after the dam work had been completed and the lake was beginning to fill up again, my brother and I went to check it out when I was visiting Tennessee.  We didn't find much other than a lot of discarded beer and soft drink cans and bottles.  Some of them dated back to the fifties or sixties judging by their designs.  We left the trash where we saw it. I guess we could have gotten trash bags and cleaned some of it up, but that wasn't on our agenda that day.   I guess that stuff went back to being under the water once again.  I'd say that what we saw would be fairly representational of what one would find under the waters of most rivers.

          Still, I dream of underwater treasures and mysteries that I will likely never find.

         Have you ever been underwater exploring in a river?  What would you expect to be the most common items to be found in a river?    Did you ever see a river or other body of water in the depths of a cavern?  

 

         








22 comments:

  1. A wonderful read Arlee, it must have been quite an experience for you,
    Being a non swimmer have never had those sort of experience's in my life. I must have missed out on quite alot.

    Enjoy your weekend.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, in the broader scope of things we could all do I think most all of us miss out on a lot. Only so much one can typically do in a lifetime.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Erika, maybe not a great adventure by comparison, but it was enough for me.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I haven't done underwater exploring. Not that great a swimmer. I would expect tires or old cans to be the most common things found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I only learned to swim when I was in college so I'm not a very good swimmer either. Exploring underwater is something I have not done.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. You and your buddies were brave for going into that cave and exploring. I can also understand why it gave you nightmares. I do remember reading about freshwater rivers that flow under the ocean but not any details of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JadeLi, not sure that brave is how I'd describe it. Maybe young and a bit foolhardy.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a wonderful place. I have explored a few cave systems in England and seen some very small underground streams but nothing spectacular. It's fun to wonder where these underground rivers may lead and what we might find beneath them. When I was a child, it was my firm belief that Loch Ness in Scotland was linked to many underground rivers that connected to the sea and that was how "Nessie" had evaded capture for all those years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anstice, those places in TN are quite wonderful. I can accept the possibility of underground rivers that might be a way for legendary creatures to travel. I have theorized that caves interconnect and honeycomb throughout the subterranean world.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I'm not one for underground excursions. They had to stop the submarine ride at DisneyLand once, so that I could get off! Still, adventures like yours create indelible memories. The underground waterfall must have been awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I have a tendency toward claustrophobia so being underground or some enclosed environment can freak me out at times too. Never had a problem with that submarine ride in the past, but now I might. The underground waterfall was kind of cool, but it wasn't all that big. But still--being underground is pretty awesome.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I see a few such stories but never got to live one. That would be an experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, great experience for a younger man, but not something I'd probably do now.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. That sounds like a lot of fun! I would've loved going there and exploring.

    I've been in the Rosh HaNikra grottoes in Israel, where the Mediterranean Sea meets white cliffs. I don't recall if the cave my tour group explored on at least two of my three trips to Israel had any running water inside. Due to the metal hardware in my right ankle, I had to have a spotter waiting for me when I went down through a hole in the floor to a lower level of the cave. I can only jump or otherwise absorb a lot of sudden weight with my left foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, these days my bones might be too brittle for any jumping. I walk with much greater care than I did in my youth.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I've seen small creeks inside of caverns, haven't explored underwater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, many caverns have running waters in them. I guess that's often how they have been formed.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Lee,

    I think underground caverns and rivers are quite fascinating but you won't catch me going there. I don't have to have nightmares to keep me from doing such things because I already have a fear of being trapped underground. I have had dreams of drowning which plays into my fear of water, especially deep water. Just thinking about these things make me a bit anxious.

    Uncensored Looney Tunes A-Z Art sketch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, in my younger more adventurous days I didn't think about the potential dangers of a situation as much as I might now. And now I'm going to try to stop thinking of these things you're talking about so I won't become overly anxious.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee