This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, April 9, 2021

Holston River ( #AtoZChallenge )

 No river exists by itself.  A river has a source and an end.   All rivers are somehow connected with other waters...



#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter H


Holston River

       The Holston River in Virginia and Tennessee starts with three rivers--the North, the Middle, and the South Forks of the Holston River and they all converge to become the Holston River.  When this united river reaches the outskirts of Knoxville it joins that racy sounding French Broad River to become the larger Tennessee River which winds its way for another 652 miles before joining up with the Ohio River in Paducah Kentucky.  Talk about a long circuitous journey!

        The Holston and its Forks are rivers that I've often followed or crossed in my trips up into Virginia.  The Middle Fork runs through the lovely town of Marion Virginia which is a place that I have dreamed of settling down except my wife has no interest in it.  So I guess that leaves me with a decision between my wife and my dream town.  I keep hoping my wife might change her mind on this idea someday.  Guess I'll have to just keep dreaming because I can't see my wife leaving California anytime soon.  Ah, the things we do for love.

        Originally the Holston River was called the Cherokee River before someone decided to honor the settler Stephen Holstein who had built a cabin along the river in 1746.  The name honoring the indigenous peoples who had lived there before Holstein seems more fitting since so many other rivers were given names that were somehow related to those who had lived in the land before the Europeans came.

       The more well-known Hudson River in New York had a similar name change to honor the European explores rather than use the preexisting indigenous names.  The Hudson river has a far greater fame than the Holston primarily because of its proximity to New York City.  Like the East River, the part of the Hudson that joins the ocean is an estuary.  Those waters fluctuate with the tides.

         When I saw the fifties monster movie The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953) I became fascinated with the Hudson River.  In this film, the Beast is roused from its "hibernation" in the Arctic and makes its way toward the Hudson Canyon, a deep ocean abyss off shore from the Hudson River Estuary.  I was inspired to look up information about this canyon because I thought maybe the movie made this canyon up.  Sure enough though, there is a 400 mile long underwater canyon that is comparable to the mighty Grand Canyon.  Deep and large enough to hide any number of gigantic prehistoric monsters if they existed, or more likely, to act as a catch basin for tons of New York City garbage from a few hundred years.

          Who knows what they could find in that Hudson Canyon.  Probably not monsters, but then again it might be something worse.

          What do you think one might find in the Hudson River Canyon?  Have you ever traced on a map a waterway from it's mouth to its ultimate source or sources?   Do you think most rivers should carry their original names give to them by the  peoples who lived on the land before European settlers arrived? 






          


20 comments:

  1. Thank you Arlee for another interesting post on rivers.
    Having been to Tennessee years ago I found this fascinating.
    Have a good weekend.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I recall your stories about going to the Grand Ole Opry. Tennessee is a great state to visit.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I don't want to know what you could find in these deep rivers!! As you said, huge creatures, but maybe worse. I loved the geography lessons at school, following on a map the river from the beginning (I lived on the top of the mountains at this time, so I was close to the source!) to the Mediterranean sea. Now I live on the continental watershed, means the rivers from here go half to the Mediterranean sea or the Atlantic Ocean. Fun!
    Quilting Patchwork & Appliqué

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frederique, rivers can go through so many changes along their courses. Most people just kind of take them for granted without considering their routes and their importance.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Not familiar with the Holston River but familiar with the Hudson (as I was born in, and grew up in, New York City.) I've crossed the Hudson many times and walked across it twice (there is a pedestrian bridge at Poughkeepsie, New York that you can do that on)but never heard of the Hudson Canyon. So I asked my husband and right away he exclaimed "Yes, it's in The Beast from 20,000. Fathoms!" I should figure; he was a big monster movie fan in his youth. You made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alana, and your husband's response made mine! Good to hear from another fan of old sci-fi movies.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Wow! The Holston is a busy river! I think they should have kept the original Cherokee name. I use on-line maps all the time; for roads, trails, places, and yes, rivers too. An underwater canyon might hold sunken treasure! Or vintage cars from mobster days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I think the Cherokee River would have been a better name, but what's done is done so I'd say keep the name and remember the history. An underwater canyon would possibly hold all the things you mentioned and much more I think.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I didn't know about the underwater canyon! Thanks for the information! I would like to see more rivers return to their original names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynnette, I was so fascinated hearing about the underwater canyon in the movie I saw that I had to research in order to find out more about it (and if it were even true!).

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Mike, I don't know what it would be like to live there, but I've always liked looking down upon the town while passing on I-81.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, I always think about it when swimming in one of those deep mountain lakes - a little scary to imagine all the things that can hide in there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, sometimes it might be best not to think about what lies beneath deep waters, but I can't help it.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I know some places (including rivers) officially have both their original Native names plus their later Western names. People can choose which to refer to them by, without disregarding the history of either usage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, nice to have the choice as long as everyone is on the same page so they don't get confused.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Lee,

    We've crossed the Holston River many times traveling north I-81 to visit family. I didn't know that it was once the 'Cherokee River' but I think the Holston River feeds the Cherokee Lake in Morristown.

    I don't think we should go back to rename what most people are familiar with today to what something once was but it would be nice if there was a reference made on a tourist marker or something. In recent years while visiting DH's late parents we noticed that the state set up street markers for little hollows that we always knew by one name but now are called something different. That doesn't make sense to me. How confusing, right?

    Henery Hawk Looney Tunes A-Z Art Sketch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I agree that it wouldn't make sense to change names when that would probably lead to a lot of confusion. Markers with alternative listings and a bit of history are a nice thing to have though.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee