This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Underground Worker, Upholsterer, Undertaker, U.S. Government Worker ( #AtoZChallenge )

 


#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter U


           Underground worker might mean a number of things.  In my youth I considered myself as somewhat of a Hippie.  Back then Hippies were considered part of an "underground movement" by some, but I wasn't really that serious of a Hippie--I just identified with the movement to a degree.  A small degree.  It was pretense mostly.  I wasn't really very underground back then other than when I was exploring caves.  Being claustrophobic as I am, caving wasn't too much in my comfort realm.  I stopped doing that after a while.  Being underground isn't so much my thing.

          When I was a kid living in San Diego. during our frequent visits to Tijuana Mexico I would see many shops advertising "tuck and roll upholstery for automobiles".   There were a ton of those places back then, but I was never lured by the world of upholsterers.   When I had furniture that needed to be upholstered I just got rid of it and bought new furniture.  I'm no upholsterer.

          Undertaker seems like a very bizarre job to do.  Sure, it's respectable and can be lucrative I suppose, but being around dead bodies in a very intimate way seems creepy to me.  Somebody's got to do it, but that person is not me.  

            Neither is United States Government worker.  We've already got too many of them anyway.  If I had spent my life as a government worker, I probably would be enjoying a better retirement than I do now.  That is, if I had survived the work.  I'm sure there's a lot of government jobs that could have suited me, I didn't do them or pursue them.  So much for government work.

        Were you ever involved in underground work in reality or metaphorically?   Have you ever had anything upholstered or done it yourself?   Did you do any work for a government?





4 comments:

  1. Mummy says she worked for the government for fifteen months before she realised she was not a civil servant. I’m not sure what she means, but maybe you do. I like your blog. And thank you for the AtoZ challenge. We love it. 😀

    Locksley at George's GP World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Locksley, thank you so much for stopping by. Not sure how a civil servant differs from anyone working for the government. I don't even hear that servant term used anymore. They certainly don't receive servants wages. And they often don't do a very good job of serving the people.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I tried to get a government job. When I finished university, I took the public service exam and I was hoping to either join the Immigration or Foreign Affairs department. ASIO (Australian equivalent of FBI) was also on my list. Alas it was not to be. I have, however, been employed indirectly by the federal government for many years, working for a training organisation which has a government contract.
    https://dacairns.com.au/blog/f/a-to-z-blogging-challenge-u

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only U job I'd want is U get to stay home and do nothing... benefits: Homelessness and starvation. Wait, what?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee