This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, April 1, 2024

Accountant, Acrobat, Actor, Amanuensis (#BOTB & #AtoZChallenge )

   April Alphabet time has arrived again!  My theme this year is "I Coulda Been..."--all the paths I could have taken but didn't as well as some of the paths I did take on my life journey.   Ready?  Let's go...


#AtoZChallenge 2024 badge A

   

       I could have been an accountant.  My father's main occupation in life was that of an accountant. So I guess I could have taken that route in my own life, but I don't think I was really cut out for that kind of a job.  My mother had been a acrobatic dancer before she married my dad and she continued this until my sister took dance lessons and took her place as the acrobat in the family.  My parents tried to get me to join my sister in dance lessons when I was probably about five, but I was having none of that either. I stubbornly resisted that talent--probably because I didn't really have that kind of talent.

      My shyness kept me from pursuing acting in school.  I appeared in a few school productions, but not as an actor.  In later life I somewhat dabbled in acting.  For over a decade I managed a stage production where I sometimes also played one or more roles.  Since the soundtrack was prerecorded maybe I wasn't such a legitimate actor, but I was acting out the parts being "spoken" on tape so I guess I was an actor of sorts.  Movie actor would have been an interesting career track I think, but other than working as an extra in the film A Walk in the Spring Rain back in 1970 I never became a film actor.

      These days I don't often run into an English language word that I've never heard before, but recently while reading Richard Dillon's Meriwether Lewis I came upon the word amanuensis.  According to Dillon, Lewis was an amanuensis to Thomas Jefferson--in other words according to one definition: a literary or artistic assistant, in particular one who takes dictation  or copies manuscripts.  Well, that seems pretty cool to have for oneself.  I could use one of those in that occupation.   But, alas, I am an amanuensis to myself.  Since I can't afford to hire my own amanuensis then the burden falls into my hands. Now I realize I can't even afford myself. 

       And that's all I have for the letter "A"!

Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Both Sides Now

        Just about anyone knows this great Joni Mitchell song because now it's become a classic standard performed by numerous artists. The song is fitting for my A to Z theme since it reflects on the options we face in life and the myriad things we have all done.  Here are two well known versions by top artists.  Which do you like best?


Judy Collins   "Both Sides Now"  (1967)





Neil Diamond   "Both Sides Now"  (1969)





Time to Vote!

         It's just time to have some fun.  In other words, which song version do you like best? 
  Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours. I don't know if anyone else will be doing a Battle this time around, but you can still check out these sites.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 








Results on Monday April 8

       A to Z posts will keep on coming until then.   Hope you'll stay with me for those, but by all means stop back by to see who one this Battle.









41 comments:

  1. Lee, as a youth, I had dreams of becoming a professional soccer player or to play in the big leagues (baseball) but committing myself to it was not possible. I didn't have the drive to become more than what I was. All I aspire to be now is the best father that I can be and to put my head down and work hard and earn my way. I am okay with my lot in life but believe that there is always room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ib, parenting is the ultimate human endeavor in my view. The future depends on what we do.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Funny you were too shy for acting and yet you juggled on a stage in front of people.
    Think I like Judy's version best.
    Good luck with the Challenge this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, in the juggling act I was hiding behind the talents of my parents.

      First vote goes to Judy

      Lee

      Delete
  3. It always surprises me to learn some of the best people who sing or act are those who seem shy. :)

    In your BOTB, I'm giving my vote to NEIL DIAMOND. Judy did a good job but I prefer male vocals to female.

    Best of luck to you in your A2Z challenge. I'm sitting it out again this year. Have a bandtastic week, Lee !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I've heard that same thing about celebs. I guess they are trying to be recognized and are scared?

      Will miss you in the A to Z.

      Next vote goes to Neil

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Lee! Maybe I'll be more up to the A2Z challenge next year. I had hoped I would somehow find the energy and drive to step up to it but didn't.

      Delete
  4. Gosh, I love this song but I'm going with Neil Diamond surprisingly. I love Judy but he just sings it so clearly.
    I never wanted to be an accountant but I ended up as a bookkeeper for the first 6 years of my credit cou selling job. I thought of acting since I love film but the behind the scenes stuff turned me away plus I felt foolish acting...tried it once in 4H club and made fun of what I was supposed to do. The lastnone reminds me of my mom's best friend who knew short hand and was the main secretary to her boss in Germany before she came to Canada. The A to Z has begun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, yes, another A to Z! I'm off to a start at least.

      Another vote for Neil.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. You don't seem like the type to be an accountant, Lee! ☺ I'm surprised to learn you were shy, but it sounds like you have had several interesting jobs in the showbiz arena. The word "amanuensis" is new to me too. Best wishes for another successful A to Z Challenge!

    While Joni's and Judy's versions of "Both Sides Now" are ingrained in my memory, I don't think I've ever heard the Neil Diamond cover. Please give my vote to him. I love his voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, I've always been shy and even now have to really push myself out of my zone sometimes.

      A vote for Neil

      Lee

      Delete
  6. And yet, many shy folks do find themselves on the stage. Sometimes trying a host of things helps shape our interests and fine tune our options as we grow into adults. Thanks for the new word - never heard of "amanuensis" either... not sure how I'll work it into conversation though. :)
    On to B... happy blogging, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, shyness might be partly what has driven them into their field. I like having a lot of life experience even though some of the experiences are unpleasant at the time we're going through them.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. "I've looked at jobs from both sides now. And have decided to be an amanuensis." Joni was forced to change these lines... she just could not get that rhyme to work!

    This was a tough battle. I love Joni Mitchell; she is a top five all-time favorite of mine. I really like Neil Diamond too, but I am troubled that he slightly changed the melody, and I think the song sounds better sung by a woman. I do NOT care for Judy Collins... but her pace is better and she sings the song straight. So - even though I would have paid to attend a Neil Diamond concert and paid NOT to attend a Judy Collins concert, I am giving her the vote today!

    Have a great A-Z this year, Lee!

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-gun, some words are tough to rhyme. Now I'm going to be thinking about the dilemma you pose.

      Sounds like some of my reasoning so it makes sense to me.

      A vote for Judy.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. BOIDMAN ~

    I've always liked this song a great deal and it reminds me of my childhood in Orange County, California. Of course, the version I first heard and remember well is the big 1968 hit by Judy Collins. However, in this video, the song seemed to be at a very slightly faster tempo than I recalled, and Judy's voice seems slightly more high-pitched. I can't help wondering if this video was recorded at a slightly incorrect speed or if my memory of the song is just... wrong.

    The Neil Diamond rendition was good also, but in this case, I'm gonna stick with the version that I grew up hearing. Even if it doesn't sound exactly quite like the way I remember it sounding.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    [Link> STMcC Presents Battle Of The Bands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, Judy's was the first version I ever heard and then there was Frank Sinatra. I think I heard a number of covers of the song before I heard Joni's original. The version sounds like I remember. I had the album so I listened to the song a lot.

      A vote for Judy.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I wanted to be an actor when I was young - I think I wanted to be anyone but myself. I did two community theater plays, one small part and one leading, and I was a background extra in an episode of a TV min-series with Lucy Liu (my youngest daughter has her own background extras casting company in Atlanta).

    I was a full-charge bookkeeper and planned to be an accountant until computers came on the scene. I fell in love with them and went on to a 30+ year successful career in IT.

    I can't wait to read the rest of your A-Z posts this year.

    https://dbmcnicol.com/a-afterthought/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, good that you found a good career niche.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Voting for Judy Collins on this one.

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lot of A words! I could never have been an accountant because I hated math, or an actor due to my shyness and lack of talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I didn't mind math, but I disliked tedium and that's what keeping books seemed like to me.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. "Now I realize I can't even afford myself," haha! That's still an excellent word, Lee. Happy April A to Z!
    I love the song you chose for this battle and both renditions are really good. But I'm going to be shamelessly biased and vote for Neil Diamond because he sounds so very much like my dad who often sang when we were on the road. Thanks to my dad, Neil Diamond was, and remains a family favorite ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, glad you made that song connection.

      A vote for Neil.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Great "A" beginning challenge. As far as the song, definitely Neil Diamond1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marina, thanks for stopping by.

      A vote for Neil

      Lee

      Delete
  14. "Both Sides Now" is Judy's song, even if Joni Mitchell wrote it. Nice try, Neil, but Judy takes this one.

    It's best that you find out you have no talent for dancing early in life, because it saves you a lot of grief when you get to junior high...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, I always think of the song as Judy's, but she had a hit with a lot of play.

      I rarely tried to dance at parties and such unless I was goofing off.

      Another vote for Judy.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Sometimes the differences make a cover better, sometimes they just throw you off. This time, ND's diffs throw me off. Gimme Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judy, Judy, Judy... I can't even afford myself....lol. Antique dealer and auctioneer - I could have done those, like my parents. I could never count on having the same furniture in my room when I got home from school. SOLD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, those are good A occupations that did cross my mind, but were never really options I thought about much.

      Judy.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. My brother got his undergrad degree in accounting and worked at one of the Big 8 accounting firms for awhile. I was in college and had my first bank account. I was trying to balance my checkbook and couldn't do it. My brother said "Give it to me, I can take care of this!" and swooped up my checkbook. After about half an hour, he came back, threw the checkbook on the table in front of me, and said, "Change banks."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyanne, I always kept up with my check book pretty well.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. DYANNE ~
      That was a very funny comment. (Too bad it got wasted.)

      If you've never seen it, be sure to check out
      'The Checkbook - season 2, episode 16' of the TV series 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. You'll *LOVE* it!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  18. I'd not known "amanuensis" until just now! I'd have liked that, being a literary assistant. I never got a chance to use my library science training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, at least you have been enriched by the training--or at least I would hope.

      Lee

      Delete
  19. I learned Amanuensis from watching the film The Cloud Atlas - a film I have seen 3 times so far and it still bears watching again. greeat idea for a theme - looking forward to more...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting set of occupations. I had to laugh when you wrote you can't even afford yourself as an amanuensis -- I feel the same way. LOL.

    Ronel visiting for A: My Languishing TBR: A
    Abominable Wraiths

    ReplyDelete
  21. Somehow, without ever having seen the movie, I hear the voice in my head "I could of been somebody..." I look forward to reading more Arlee! Zulu Delta

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee