This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

High Act, Host, Hotelier, Human Resources, or Historian ( #AtoZChallenge & #BOTB Results )

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter H

 


       High acts in the circus were some of my favorites.  By that I'm talking about trapeze artists, wire walkers and other acts that challenge gravity.  I've always dreamed of doing a high act, but I don't know that it would really be for me.  I don't mind being high as long as heights aren't involved. 

         I've been a host at my house on occasion, but I'm probably not such an attentive host as would make me a good professional host.  In the same sense, I've stayed at many hotels in my life, but I can't say I'd be a particularly good hotelier.  Wouldn't want that job either.

        Human resources might have been a good field for me, but these days I don't think I'd want to deal with this.  There are too many different kinds of humans to deal with.  It used to be easier I think.  Now there are too many issues to think about and so many more that still need to be imagined. Maybe I could just be human.  That can be a pretty tough job sometimes.

        Ideally I might like to be a historian.  Seems like quiet work that would entail a lot of research.  At my stage of life I'm probably far better with the past than the present or future.  Anyone want to hear about how things were when I was younger?

        How are you with heights?   Do you like to host parties at your house?  Have you ever had to deal with a human resources department in your job?



Battle of the Bands Results



Both Sides Now

        On April 1st I had a Battle of the Bands featuring versions of the Joni Mitchell song "Both Sides Now".  My first exposure to this song was from the Judy Collins version which was a hit when I was in high school.  Later I got the Judy Collins album with the song and have loved the sound ever since.  Neil Diamond did an excellent version of the song, but Judy's version is still my favorite.

Final Vote Tally

Judy Collins      8 votes   

Neil Diamond     5 votes



       

11 comments:

  1. I think being an historian is interesting work. History was my favorite subject in school. I'm like you on HR, I definitely wouldn't want such a job in these times with all the crazy issues going on. And, I couldn't do anything that involved heights. I get too dizzy!

    Hustling on to your BOTB results. You had a close one and I was on the wrong side but I'm not huffy about the outcome because I liked the winner's cover, too. Thanks for reporting! Have a bandtastic day, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy Collins version is my favorite too. I'm a family historian and it does involve a lot of research and reaching back. I can't imagine working in HR. Not even sure they had it back in the olden days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked in professional development within healthcare and at one time was moved into the HR team. They were a great bunch of people and worked really hard trying to make sure everyone (managers and staff) worked together and that everything ran smoothly. It was quite a change as previously I'd been managed in the nursing team. Anyway, an interesting experience. Yes, to history. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "No" to heights and HR, which didn't exist when I was a corporate slave. We sure could have used it! Big "yes" to history and research - two things I love. We hosted many parties in our younger years, but they're a lot of work and we no longer have the energy.

    As for your battle, I'm not surprised Judy Collins won. Her version was so popular!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm terrified of heights.

    I've been trying to get help with this for a week now. I'm not sure whom to contact about correcting something on the list. I'm at work and couldn't find email addresses for you or J. Lenni. Under my entry #120, it somehow says "yes" for adult content when it should say "no." Is someone able to fix this for me? I'd appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. " I don't mind being high as long as heights aren't involved. " I agree with all the many ways that can be taken. I wish I'd have been a historian as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I am an historian - at heart ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could have been a historian. History was one of my favorite subjects and nonfiction historical books are a favorite genre. Most of us struggle to come up with one letter and here you're doing a whole string of them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is Birgit…I could be a historian but no way to heights. I am absolutely phobic of heights but I love watching the trapeze artists and cirque de’ soleil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LEE ~
    A very respectable Battle outcome.
    This last round of BOTB may have been, overall, the most competitive in the 10+ year history of the blogfest. Everyone had close contests this time, and four of us (I believe) had Battles decided by just a one-vote margin. Kind of surprising across the board!

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  11. I took several classes in Personnel Management for my degree. What it told me was that I should have majored in Accounting or Finance. And I think it's just gotten infinitely harder with much of the social change.

    I've spent enough time in hotels that I think I would be pretty good at managing one, except I wouldn't want to deal with things like trashed hotel rooms and suddenly-deceased guests.

    As for heights... I've spent plenty of time on airliners, which is actually walking on solid ground while being 35000 feet in the air. I'd want an airplane around me that high up, or even 20 feet up.

    As I've gotten older, I find that I'm interested in certain aspects of history: music, television, broadcasting, baseball.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee