This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, April 5, 2024

Eater, Elephant Trainer, Easter Bunny, Economist, Environmentalist, and Entertainer ( #AtoZChallenge )

 

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter E


          Eating is something I enjoy.  Getting paid to eat sounds like a dream job.  Well, that is, if I were getting paid to eat something I truly liked to eat and in that case getting the food for free would be enough.  When my kids were little I used to pay them sometimes to eat something they didn't want to try.  I'd offer them a quarter to try something and they would usually try it at least.  These days if I made the same offer to my grandkids they'd likely scoff at the idea. "A quarter is all you got to offer?"  I'm sure they'd pass on that one.  A dollar might get some attention, but I couldn't afford that for long.  Pay or no pay, give me the food and I'll at least try it.  But I'm sure no one is going to pay me to eat.

       Even if I were hungrier than I'd ever been, I could never eat an elephant.  I can recall hearing people saying this when they were extremely hungry, but it was a hyperbole used to counter the hyperbole of being so hungry one could eat a horse.  It's rather doubtful that I'd even consider eating a little bit of elephant meat.  I've always been fascinated by elephants, but not enough to eat their meat.  Nor would I want to be an elephant trainer.  Over the years while working on a few circuses, I've known some elephant trainers.  Seems like a huge investment in animals, trucks, equipment, and animal feed.  And it would be a lot of work.  I like to look at elephants, but I don't want to live with them and take care of them all the time.

        Easter Bunny might be a cushy job.  No, not the real Easter Bunny since we know that critter is not real.  I mean the costumed Easter Bunny like you see in shopping malls and the like.  What a nightmare!  Being confined in that furry costume and dealing with bratty kids all day sounds like a real nightmare to me.  I've had my share of wearing mascot costumes and having to maneuver with limited visibility.  Except the times when I wore a costume like this it was for brief periods on stage in a show.  I'd do my thing and then rush off stage to get the darn thing off so I could see and breathe and not be so hot.  No big furry costumes for me.  Well, unless the pay was extremely lucrative and I haven't been offered that yet.

        Economist might be more my speed.  That's a thinking man's job that probably entails a lot of deskwork.  These days I might be able to handle that, but I don't know how good I'd be at ascertaining the state of economies and the like.  And I do like the theorizing of environmentalists although I think a lot of their conclusions are a bit off base.  I'd likely be ejected from the community of environmentalists rather quickly if I were to enter that field of study.   

         Entertainer is my ultimate preferred career.  That's where I spent much of my working life and I'd actually go back to doing it again if the opportunity arose with the right financial terms to incentivize my taking the job.  I'm not sure I would want the same type schedule I used to have, but if things were made easier for me then I'd love to do another entertainment job.  Who knows?  It could happen I suppose...

        Any jobs under the letter "E" that sound interesting to you?  Have you ever worked in the guise of a mascot costumed character?  What do you think is the most pressing environment issue of our time?








      
        

         

7 comments:

  1. Wait... the Easter Bunny is not real? An economist is just a glorified pencil pusher...boring job. And I think you do pretty good at being an Entertainer right here! Keep up the good work. and if you need a little Encouragement pay me a visit.
    Cheers,
    Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. This will be fun. My oldest is now a professional pastry chef so I am sure I'll be able to relate to these. Plus I also love to eat! ;)
    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side blog
    2024 A to Z of Dungeons & Dragons, Celebrating 50 Years of D&D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a born entertainer, Lee! I wouldn't eat an elephant, either. Likewise an eel. Eclairs, however...:-) Do eavesdroppers get paid much? (See my detective comment*) Some of my favorite people are EMTs. Event planning might be fun. Thankfully, I'm a fairly good editor, since it's a bit late to become an engineer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought that being an economist wouls be a hoot. I'd be more F. A. Hayek than John Maynard Keynes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A witty rollick through more jobs you might have done lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think of the old jokes about 'how to eat an elephant', as well as the trainer who got sat on by his elephant...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Birgit…I would like to help elephants. I think they are great creatures and it saddens me when poachers still go after them for their ivory. In fact, I think the decline of many animals is a big problem mainly due to people thinking they will have better sex lives or old medicine will work or just making art from something that could be made from something else. Education is needed. I also believe that we need to take climate change seriously. The glaciers are receding way to rapidly and the Arctic circle is becoming less Arctic putting polar bears in danger

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee