This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, April 22, 2024

Sales, Security, Stage Manager, Showman, Silly Fellow ( #AtoZChallenge )

 


#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter S


          Sales is really not for me.  I'm not much of a salesman, but maybe because I'm too honest.  A good salesperson will pride themselves on being able to sell just about anything no matter how good it is or what it is. I'm more apt to talk a perspective customer out of buying something.  But I have had my moments in sales so I guess I haven't been a complete failure at sales.  I'd just rather not do it.

         Security is another field in which I have no interest in doing myself.  I like to feel secure, but I'd prefer someone else to provide that security.  Sadly safety doesn't seem to be that much of an issue with many people these days.  At least not to those in power unless it's keeping themselves secure.

           Stage manager is more to my liking.  This is a job I've done for periods in my life and I enjoyed doing it.  But I like things related to show business whether in the spotlight or behind the scenes.  I've been a showman, not in any huge way, but in a satisfactory way to appease my own interests.  Yes, showman at heart is what I am.

           Or am I just a silly fellow pursuing fantasies that at times I have achieved, but mostly dreaming too big to ever make it reality.  Dreaming is fine, but it shouldn't interfere with the real every day life.  I suppose I've created balance in my life.  But I'm still a silly fellow--some might say.

          Are you adept at selling?  Did you have show business dreams at any time of your life?  Do you think your life pursuits have been silly or have you accomplished just as much as you ever hoped and dreamed?









6 comments:

  1. I hustled hardware at a retail level, but it was not like sucking up to someone buying clothes. They relied on me to know what I was doing.

    I, too, am a silly fellow for writing to no known end. Of course I did turn a hobby into a business, so there are things to be said about following some dream.

    My weekend was rough because and Agent, Janet Reid, passed away a little over a week ago. I was what became known as a Reider, because I followed her blog and did her flash fiction and photo caption contests. It did damage me some to hear of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in security once, if that's what you want to call it. Or was I just insecure?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with being silly, somedays thats what keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toward the end of my twenty year job, a friend of mine asked me to come and work with him in Marketing. I told him that I didn't think I was a sales and marketing guy, and he said, "John, you're the biggest sales and marketing guy I know." The next day, I told him I'd do it, and he told me that no one could switch out of professional services. Evidently, my last manager at that company heard he was thinking of asking me and told his manager (the bastard!), who went to my friend and told him he could not have me.

    I think everybody has some form of show business dreams at some point. I wanted to be a weatherman, then a disk jockey. Years later, I met a guy at church who was both simultaneously.

    My business life pursuits put food on the table and a roof over our heads. Unfortunately, I let the silly ones slip away....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, sounds like interoffice politics at work.

      I think it would be unusual in the past 100 or so years for someone not to have show biz dreams at some point. We are assailed by celebrities and entertainment and they often suggest very appealing glamorous lives. Reality comes when one actually pursues the dreams.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee