This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

         Over the past couple of days I've seen many lists of things that people are thankful for--okay I'm good with those.  Just go and check out any of those and you've got some the things that would be on my list as well.  No need to be repetitious.  And besides I'm focusing on Turkey Day and NaNo.

         I'm doing most of the cooking for the big dinner.  We'll have about twenty or so guests coming over.  It's become the tradition that I fix the dinner.   I get some help with the mashed potatoes and sometimes with chopping onions and celery.  But it's essentially my version of the dinner my mother passed down to me.

         Since I can't be in Tennessee to enjoy my mother's dinner, I have to fix my own.  Here's the menu:  Besides the turkey we're having a Honey Baked Ham and another ham we bought from Costco.  We'll have two kinds of dressing--one with fruit and sausage and another with oysters (this is mostly mine since hardly anyone else will try it and that's okay with me).  There'll be the much beloved by all sweet potato casserole topped with marshmallows.  Mashed potatoes, of course, and this year I just got canned turkey gravy (for some reason hardly anyone here eats gravy so I'm not going to make it myself--lazy me).   Dinner rolls.  I also have an array of vegetables which includes peas with pearl onions, yellow corn, pickled beets, cranberry sauce, and that good old-fashioned green bean casserole topped with those canned onion ring things. 

         Later on we'll break out a fruit salad that my brother-in-law will be picking up from the Mexican bionicos place, which to my surprise is open on Thanksgiving.  We ordered it yesterday, but wanted to get it after it's been freshly made.  There'll also be ice cream available for later, but, alas, I didn't get any pumpkin pie.  But we will have egg nog spiked with brandy and also a toast of champagne to celebrate one of our daughters's recent attainment of her PhD.

          It will be quite the feast that will be possibly be repeated on Friday for my wife and I if there are any leftovers.   I love Thanksgiving!

           I wish each of you a very festive feast day.   And be careful of those sales on Friday if you're going shopping!





***

34 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too....
    I'm feeling somewhat guilty about it this year -- I'm not spending the day with my mother. I hope she meant it when she said she wanted to be alone for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a feast indeed Arlee. I have never eaten turkey, don't think I can start now or ever since we have pet turkeys (and we love them dearly).

    Happy thanksgiving Arlee and family. If we were to list God's favour, which one could we deny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful family feast and fun day.
    Enjoy it all,Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving day. :)

    Mmm, that sounds like feast all right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a GREAT T-Day shaping up, Lee - go for it! And a daughter just earned her PHD? Woot Woot! Have a glass of champagne for The Old Silly too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving, Lee, to you and to all the Birds in your flock :)

    And congrats on your daughter's PhD! You must be super proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of a dressing with oysters in it, but I bet my director would love it!

    Congrats to your daughter's success and have a safe and wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun day. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Celebrate extra for your daughter's success, congrats to her.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the turkey, McBUDDY. Oh yeah, and the spiked egg nog, too! (Save me a glass. Have you ever tried it with Grand Marnier instead of brandy? Mmmm... Good stuffs!)
    :o)

    Happy Thanksgiving Day to ya, Lee!

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving to you bro.
    Have a good one. Eat well.
    Be blessed. Be a blessing.
    Eat cheesecake, love Jesus, listen to Floyd, Pink Floyd.

    DJ GlenMC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every moment, we have unlimited reasons to feel grateful. May you continue to savour a zest for life and share that positive energy with others.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a Thanksgiving guesture from over the pond there is an award on my latest blog entitled Happy Thanksgiving Day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you enjoyed the day. Sounds like you had quite the dinner planned - I bet it was wonderful. Congrats to your daughter on such a great achievement! Sure seems like you have a lot to be thankful for :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving, Arlee! Sounds like quite a feast you prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope that Thanksgiving dinner was a great success and that you're not too exhausted. As far as shopping, the only place I'll go is the Holiday Market at the Senior Center. Then I'll scurry home and relax some more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy!! That sounds like a delicious dinner!! Enjoy your family time :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanksgiving isn't the same... miss you and I love you

    ReplyDelete
  18. my mouth is watering.
    Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheers on the youngster's Ph.D.! I think champagne belongs at every thanksgiving personally.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your menu sounds almost identical to mine! I didn't do much cooking however, I'll explain later! Glad that you had a wonderful day Arlee, Thanksgiving Day is my favorite holiday! Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want to express my thanks to all of you. The dinner went wonderfully. Everyone in the family had a wonderful time and went home with full bellies and plates of leftovers. And we still have plenty of leftovers here at home -- I know what we'll be eating for the next couple day.
    Ocean Girl, it was quite a surprise to see you here today--you have been missed.
    Emilee, wish you were here.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you had a wonderful holiday, Lee! That menu sounds fabulous! My goodness, but you had a lot of food to prepare. :) Enjoy the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad your Thanksgiving was great. And huge congrats to your daughter. Takes a lot of work to get one of those PhiDee thingies :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had a good meal yesterday, but would've gladly joined your crowd for dinner as well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Smart move, not posting this menu too far in advance! Forget twenty guests, you'd have had a lot more than that if we'd realised what you were putting on!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, and Congrats! to your daughter on her PhD. And I concur on canned or bottled gracy. Its just gets to be too much work making everything from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sweet potato casserole topped with marshmallows?? I'll have to look that recipe up as I have never heard of that before! Hope your holiday was as grear as the feast planned.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks to all of you who commented since I said thanks the previous time. After all this is Thanksgiving!

    Lynn-- the sweet potato casserole has been a family tradition since I was a child. It's very simple. Mash up sweet potatoes (candied yams) with some butter and brown sugar. Layer the mixture in a casserole dish. Top with a layer of marshmallow. Bake until marshmallows have browned. It's really almost like a dessert. It would probably make a good pie filling as well.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds like a fabulous menu! I just love a man who can cook and a man who can cook Thanksgiving dinner is very special indeed! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'd still rather eat at your house if you fix those recipes you show on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey there! Just wanted to say that I really missed being there for Thanksgiving. I agree with Emilee. It is just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Diana -- Missed you all-- everything changes.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee