This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Beginnings: NaNoWriMo Starts Today

          If you're doing NaNoWriMo I'm sure that I don't have to remind you that it starts today.  For those of you who have no idea what a NaNoWriMo is, it's a personal challenge to complete 50,000 words of a novel during the month of November.

         If you've ever thought about writing a novel this is a great way to start, or at least try.  Setting boundaries gives the impetus and pressure that some people need to get something like writing a novel done.  You may not write a masterpiece--you most likely won't--but if you manage to meet the challenge you've taken a step.  Even if you don't make the 50,000 words you will have something to gauge yourself.  So what if you end up with 50,000 words of crap--it's better than words that were never written and a challenge that was never attempted.

      You can find out more about National Novel Writing Month at their website.

      I'm basically jumping into NaNo nearly blind just like I did last year.  I've gotten a few ideas together, but no real story yet.  I got my opening scene decided, but haven't really formulated where it's going from there.  I have, or am getting ready to gather, my sources of inspiration that will guide the story I devise.  Like I did in 2009 my inspirations will mostly come from:

  • Bible Verses
  • Inspiration from the most recent sermon and Bible study at my church
  • Random clippings from the October 31st edition of my local newspaper
  • Any ideas from my dreams that might apply to my story
  • Whatever else happens to flow from the previous idea generators
       Lest there be any misconception of what kind of novel I'll be writing, it will not be a religious or Christian novel specifically.  It could go in that direction, but my plan is to write a science fiction novel dealing with time travel.   I like to get inspired by Biblical themes because I believe the Bible offers so many themes that can influence other stories.  I am certainly not the first writer to be inspired by the Bible and I'm sure I will not be the last.

       A current newspaper likewise can offer many concepts and story ideas that can be woven into a story.  A current events story shaped by Biblical themes and colored with dream imagery can turn into a very interesting story.   This has frequently been my approach to writing fiction.

         I'm looking forward to this month's challenge.  Who knows--I might even finish up last year's NaNo novel while I'm working on this new one.   Watch for details of my progress in the days and weeks to come.

        If you're doing NaNo, how prepared are you?   What do like to use to help you generate ideas?   Anyone have a brief synopsis yet that they'd like to share?

        For those of you who follow Yvonne at Welcome to My World of Poetry, in case you haven't seen her post of Friday October 29, she's saying that it is her last post.  If this is the case, I'm sure many will miss her faithful comments and her wonderful poetry.  I was pleased to be part of Your World, Yvonne.
         

         


               

23 comments:

  1. Yep, I lost my mind and took the challenge. I'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants here. And I'm not going to be able to start until tonight. I can't believe they scheduled me for a double shift on the first day of NaNoWriMo! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried last year and lost, so am not doing it this year. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be on the sidelines cheering you on. Best of luck.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get lots of NaNo words written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what? Nanowrimo start only now? I thought it's already finished :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not doing NaNo but I'm cheering for you all. :) As to Ms Yvonne, I'm hoping her PC is resurrected and she magically reappears. But yes she will be missed.
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll miss Yvonne too and hope she is back online soon. Regarding Nano, I just need coffee. I write and write and write and that's about it. Nothing special. Just keep writing, just keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In novel world how many pages is 50,000 words? I would like to write a book one day and this might be an idea to get started.

    By the way, it was sad to see Yvonne have PC problems and drop out. I will miss her also, she commented faithfully everyday on my site.

    By the way, I had an idea this morning - consider taking name "Tossing It Out" and turning it sideways on the right hand side of your pic. Start the T at the bottom right hand corner and work up the side.

    Good luck, which of course there is no such thing, so happy planning and hard work to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It took me 1 hour to get to the next town with access to internet, but I couldn't not give up entirely I miss you all.

    Loved your post Lee and good luck with the novel.
    Thanks for the mention but there is light at the end of the tunnel.....I hope.
    Have a good day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kat -- Nothing like starting off with the stress. Everything that follows should seem easier. Wishing you all the best with your efforts.

    Teresa -- If I were working a regular job I don't know that I'd commit either. But don't you want to at least give it a shot? You never know.

    Mason -- NaNo-ers appreciate the cheering section.

    Carol - I hope the NaNo words are worthy words.

    Dezmond -- There's always some kind of NaNo going on--when one ends another begins I guess.

    Jules -- We all appreciate Yvonne. And we appreciate you too!

    Stephen -- Yes, write, write, write! Right?

    Gregg-- 50,000 would be a fairly short novel--probably too short by normal standards. Start Greg! I waited way too long and needed a fire like NaNo lit under me. Are you considering a novel or another form?
    I've been meaning to get back to the title-in-the-blank space issue but I've been caught up in other things. I do plan to return to this and will think about your idea.

    Yvonne -- That light at the end of the tunnel is the ray of sunshine that appears whenever I see your comment on my post. Thank you for reappearing. I do hope your computer issues get resolved very soon--and I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arlee,
    I'm wishing you & every1 else who has signed up for this 50,000 word writing marathon all the best! You definitely seem to be prepared which is always a good sign! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you're very well-prepared!


    I've started a club on my website so you can receive daily emails with inspirational quotes about writing to keep you motivated! More info here if you're interested: http://blog.quotabl.es/post/1453304685/join-the-quotables-nanowrimo-club

    Best of luck!

    Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm "cheating" by finishing a novel I started two years ago. I need a kick in the rear to get it done and figured since it started with NaNo, maybe it should finish with NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a challenge, but I know that you're up to it! Best of luck and remember to take time to smell the roses, along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My speaking tour is heavy through mid-November, so NaNo wasn't an option this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm excited about NaNo. I've already written 2727 words (the first chapter). I doubt the rest of it will flow as easily, but one can hope ;) I just have to work out how to download my word count...when the site starts to work again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisa -- Somewhat prepared but not real prepared.

    Nicola -- I will check it out.

    Karen -- I won't tell anyone. Hope you finish!

    Marguerite-- Don't know about the roses, but I'd love to smell the jambalaya cooking for supper one night.

    L. Diane -- You've got your priorities straight I'd say.

    Lynda -- You're off to a good start! Best wishes for the month.

    Karen -- Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck! I am amazed every November at how much people accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie -- November is a busy month in many ways. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well Arlee I think that your inspirations are excellent. I have a feeling that you will do very well! Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Diana -- Thanks for your encouragement. The Bible is one of the best inspirations I can think of for many things.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck with NaNo! I've got the first 3 chapters of my novel planned, but I'm gonna wing the rest of it. Mine's a fantasy inspired by Welsh/Celtic culture, featuring magic, dragons and vampires :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee