This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

About Those New Year's Resoutions.....

       Around this time of year many of us make plans for the year to come.  We may make resolutions about the things we are going to do to change ourselves and become better people.  We may set goals for the things that we hope to achieve in the year ahead. Some of our plans may be modest and rather easy to attain, while others may map out grand schemes that may inspire them to work harder at what they do.  Whatever our goals and resolutions may be, it is good to have the support of friends, family, and, most of all, God.

May He give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed"

(Psalm 20:4, NIV)

        Self-confidence is a good thing. If you don't believe in yourself, then why should others believe in anything you do. Fortunately many of us do have a cheering section rooting us on to success, a support system to help strengthen us when times get tough.  But we have a responsibility to our supporters.  We must show them our love, our caring, and our interest in them as well.  Most of us aren't superstars who have admirers falling at our feet no matter how self-absorbed we may be.  And as we have so often seen, even superstars fall and find themselves shamed and even forgotten.

         People may forget us or lose respect or move on to new idols to worship.  We should beware of setting ourselves up for this kind of failure.  People are fickle and weak. That is why we should recognize our number one fan as God, our creator and Father in Heaven.  God does not want us to fail.  But God wants us to succeed in the right ways. Recognize God and give him credit.  Depend on him and give your plans to him. Remember God and listen to his counsel. If your plans, dreams, goals, and resolutions are in keeping with what God wants for you, then you have a supporter who will never abandon you and a strength that will ultimately provide you a success far greater than any earthly success.


... but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)

        

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully uplifting message to start off the new year with. I agree with your last paragraph especially,

    "People may forget us or lose respect or move on to new idols to worship. We should beware of setting ourselves up for this kind of failure. People are fickle and weak. That is why we should recognize our number one fan as God, our creator and Father in Heaven. God does not want us to fail. But God wants us to succeed in the right ways. Recognize God and give him credit. Depend on him and give your plans to him. Remember God and listen to his counsel. If your plans, dreams, goals, and resolutions are in keeping with what God wants for you, then you have a supporter who will never abandon you and a strength that will ultimately provide you a success far greater than any earthly success."

    I believe we, in general, rely on the approval of others to the point that when man walks away to pursue other things that interest them, we are left in a state of rejection and waning self confidence. I think God should be first in all we do for He is the one who will be with us no matter what, highs and lows. It is good to be among others who support our ideas and pursuits, mentor and guide us as well but I also feel that we should believe in our abilities because there will be times when people fail us regardless of who they are.

    Well said Arlee. Much food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post because it is true... "Self-confidence is a good thing. If you don't believe in yourself, then why should others believe in anything you do."

    and I always thank god for allowing me to do all these wonderful things with my life..

    Good Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. But those who hope in the Lord....
    YES! Great message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee:)

    Greetings and good wishes for the New Year.

    This is one the finest message of inspiration I have come across for the New Year. It is worth pondering over and putting into pratice.

    As you have rightly said, God is the only ONE on whom we can depend upon at all times. I recall briefly a speech delivered by a retired justice who inaugurated a carrol singing function. He said God never abandoms us. It is we, human beings,who go away from him. Take the case of Adam and Eve. God gave them everything they wanted yet they knowingly disobeyed God. Even after punisheing them for their disobedience, God never abandoned them.He sent several prophets to persuade them to come back to HIM. But the weak human beings continuously rejected them. God did not give up. He sent HIS only begotten SON to save mankind. Now it is up to us to seek salvation and save ouselves from eternal damnation.

    As regards the rich and famous, no one will take with them what they made on this earth. Even Alexander, the Great could not take anything with him. But I am not undermining the importance of using our talents. We have to use our God given talents to constantly improve ourselves and spread happiness all around.

    I am glad I visited your blog today which was an eye opener for me. You have spread very lavishly lovely messages of hope and cheer.

    I wish for you everything in abundance-HEALTH, HAPPINESS, SUCCESS AND PROSPERITY.
    JOSEPH:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home, rLEE-b.
    That was a fine New Year's message! Seriously. Mighty fine!

    I sometimes start out trying to write good 'n' serious Blog Bits like you do, but "something" always happens and I end up with... well... you know. I end up with what I end up with.

    And then I kick myself and say, "My next Blog Bit is going to be good 'n' serious!" But it's a lie. :o)

    Happy New Year, rLEE-bro. Glad to know you had a safe trip. Do they still let Americans inside the Statue Of Liberty? Or are those days gone for good? (Did you see a bottle of Jack Daniel's at the foot of Miss Liberty? I misplaced mine.)

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful inspiring post, I can relate to the words people may lose respect or move on. I guess that's life but it is how we cope with that loss that matters.

    Thank you for your visit to my world and your kind comment which is much appreciated.

    Happy New Year.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post! Everyday I learn to lean and depend on the Lord. What a friend we have in Jesus!

    He will never leave us or forsake, I tell you I've found Him to be a friend indeed.

    Have a wonderful New Year Arlee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessings for the New Year and througout, thank you for stopping by my space.

    I try not to make resolutions for which i know i will not up hold rather I try to incorporate life changes that take me in the direction I will like to be in.

    wonderful piece.
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post. Lee, if it had not been for God my whole life, life would have been a disaster. God is the one who got me out of every tough time and blessed me with so many things.

    I often wonder why God has always been with me when others weren't, but he is a loving God who never gives up on you.

    Because of God, I have no doubt that 2010 will be a blessed year.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee