As of Sunday night November 28, 2010 I have passed the 50,000 word mark, but I have not officially registered as a "winner" yet. I will do this today (Monday). I've got a little further to go--a few more scenes to write--before the story is complete. Then I may have to flesh out the story to give it greater length and substance. However all in all I'm pretty pleased with my results.
So besides the start of a novel which I feel pretty good about at this point, what have I gotten out of NaNo this year? Here are a few things:
1. A handful (hopefully not too many) of NaNo related posts that are mostly self-indulgent and probably of little interest to most readers who are not participating in NaNo. Hey! I'm not the only one that did this!
2. As I write this my e-mails are up to nearly 700. I did so well cleaning this all up a while back. Now I see in part how this accumulation came into being last year. Thanks NaNo! Oh well, now with my new system and some focused email decluttering I should have this remedied by the end of the week.
3. I'm way behind in keeping up with a lot of blogs. Let's face it--with all of the blogs that I try to follow I was behind before I even started NaNo. If I haven't visited yours in a while please give me an electronic slap on the back of the head and tell me to come over to see you. Sorry! And NaNo didn't help this situation at all.
4. Reading--I'm behind on my reading. I've got some good books waiting to be read. And what have I been doing? Writing--okay that's not too bad, but I'd still like to read some.
5. Neglecting my personal life-- Finally, I can take a shower after one month---Just kidding! Seriously though, I've got some mail to go through and other personal things that need to be done. I've been paying my bills on time, but I think there are some other things that I need to do. I think, but I don't remember. Who am I? Where am I? Why are all of these agents and publishers calling me about my new novel, Time Light? Okay maybe not the last part yet, but the rest is true.
Anyway, that's my post for today--felt obligated to hack out something.
What has NaNo given you? What have you been neglecting? What's your favorite movie? Did you eat all of your Thanksgiving leftovers? Have you ever carried moonbeams home in a jar? Are you afraid of clowns? Do you like it when someone asks you a bunch of random questions?