This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Mom's a Dancer: The Photos

        Back on December 16 I did a post called MY MOM'S A DANCER and received a number of requests for photographs.  During my Christmas visit to Tennessee to visit my mother, I was able to get some photos and other mementos which I present in today's post.  Here are some highlights of the show business career of Lois Kaye Trevillian Jackson.



             Lois Trevillian started taking dance classes at the Virginia Chittum school of dance in Morgantown, WV when she was about 5 years old.  She was still taking classes when this dance revue was presented on June 4, 1947.  Here is a listing for one of the numbers in which she appeared at the recital.

  Lois Kay(e) Trevillian met West Virginia University basketball star Robert Lee (Bob) Jackson in 1950.  He would sometimes perform his juggling act on the same shows where Lois was performing her dance act. They were soon married and performing together on a regular basis.


            Eventually Lois added magic tricks to her tap and acrobatic dance routine.  Any added novelty helped make an act more unique and sellable.   As time went on Lois learned to juggle and soon she had not only added juggling to her dance act, but she joined Bob to form a fast-paced team juggling act they called The Juggling Jacksons.  The act developed a strong reputation among theatrical agencies in the Cleveland, OH and Pittsburgh, PA area and they worked high caliber shows on a regular basis.  Their son Lee was born in 1951 and daughter Joy in 1952.  Lois continued her dance, but now incorporated it into the juggling act.



This story will be continued next Wednesday......

27 comments:

  1. Wow,I love this. I think my fav photo is the last one with the shadows. Can't wait until next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Some lady your mother, I thought this post just awesome and there's more to come.

    I visited The States 18 months ago, went to California, Vegas , LA to name but a few places.
    Hoping to go to Nashville in June.

    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun photos! I can easily see how they might be compiled into a fabulous memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa-
    The shadow pictures were always favorites of mine too. They had that early 50's dramatic film noir quality.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yvonne-
    I've lived in L.A. for almost 20 years now -- I really don't do much, but I really enjoy the weather. Vegas is amazing. If you go to Nashville, you should make sure that you go to East Tennessee and the Great Smoky Mountains--that part of the state is the best in my opinion.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome!!! I loved these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee, Love the story about your mom and dad. Juggling is something I do with schedules, not handheld items. I'd be a disaster looking for a place to destroy if I did actual juggling. Good luck and thanks for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I just read both posts about your mother. I am in awe of the fabulous life she must have had, doing what she loves to do. My dream, is to become a Radio City Rockette. It is something that I think all young female dancers aspire to be. Your mother must be quite a woman with many stories to tell. I wish you the best of luck in convincing her to let you help her write a book. I would buy it, that is for sure. I am very interested in everything dance... my dance teacher who passed away in November at the age of 94 was a vaudeville tap dancer who also fell in love on stage with her husband and fellow tap dancer. Your mother's story reminded me of her. Thank you so much for sharing this with me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like your parents were a Jack and Jill of all trades. How nice you ahve these items to share with other. Perhaps you could write a book about your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing photos! I agree that you should put together a memoir. What treasures you have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, congrats on #100.
    ~ "Lonesome Dogg"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very, very cool photos! What an awesome legacy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Memories...can't wait until next Wednesday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh...

    When it was actually considered attractive to HAVE a figure...instead of the gaunt and bony models of today...

    Your Mom looks great in those photos!

    Cheers for a wonderful post!

    Cordially,
    MsBurb

    Burb's Buck & Buntline Inn (B3) http://burbsbuckandbuntlineinn.blogspot.com/

    2nd Official Tate-LaBianca Murders Blog (TLB2) http://2ndofficialtate-labiancamurdersblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. great photos. Enjoyed your blog. thanks for linking. . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks to all who visited this post and for the kind encourgement in your comments.

    And Stephen thanks for the congratulations on my reaching my 100th follower. Now I feel so empty. What to do next? How about 200 by April 1.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lee,
    What an awesome bit on your mom and dad! I'm certainly glad that I know them both personally. I enjoyed the vist with you and the family. The videos from Deb are great. Sorry I couldn't catch you one more time before you left.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is great! I love the photos, and your mom sounds like she lived a fun and very full life. Did she teach you to dance and juggle to?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the link to your blog...this was definately an amazing post to read - I think you should def keep up with the idea of a memoir for these stories would be a good read!

    All the best x

    http://divaonstage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always loved the stories from all of our families travels. I wish we all would've kept doing it. Unfortunately, those talents didn't run in my blood, but I could've been the manager :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some of the best memories of my teenage years was at your house there was always something fun going on.I really enjoyed our visit with you and your mom.Can,t wait till the next story. JIMALLICKL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tyrean--
    Thanks for the visit. My dad taught me and my sibs to juggle and we all worked together with my mom in the juggling act. I never got into the dancing, though my sister did.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  24. How absolutely cool that must have been, a family of jugglers! What an incredible story. And your mom's acrobatic feats look quite impressive. Good for her, that she kept up her dancing for all those years.

    I agree with you on eastern Tennessee. We have some property in Townsend and there is no better part of that state.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Joann-- Thanks for your visit and comment. Our show biz experience was indeed fun and exciting and led to some wonderful opportunities.
    Townsend is a great place--gateway to the Smoky Mountain National Park. Townsend is maybe 15 miles or so from my mother's house. I've spent a lot of time around Townsend.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee