This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, December 1, 2023

Messages ( #BOTB )

 

   We had a great Thanksgiving. Big gathering and had some family for a week including my oldest granddaughter Marley.  I've been so busy that I didn't have time to do a careful job with this post, but here it is, whipped together in a busy time.


Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Message Songs

       Tis the season for messages with one in particular being dominant.  How would you prefer your message be delivered?  Vote for your favorite of these two random songs about messages...


The Police  "Message in a Bottle"  (1979)






World Party  "Put the Message in the Box"  (1990)








Time to Vote!

           Here's my message to you:  Vote!  Which do you like best?.  Just listen and have fun.
  Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours. I don't know if anyone else will be doing a Battle this time around, but you can still check out these sites.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 






Results coming on Friday December 8

           Now I'm outta here...












30 comments:

  1. I don't know that I have ever heard the World Party song, but it is quite pleasing to listen to.

    I like The Police, but my vote goes to World Party.

    Happy Holidays, Lee!

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, I agree that both are pretty enjoyable to listen to. And you have a great holiday season as well!

      First vote goes to World Party.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Glad your granddaughter was able to join you.
    Have to give this one to The Police.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, it was a joy to have all of our visitors!

      Next vote is for The Police.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I like the Police. Usually. But the World Party song - and it's "message" was terrific, so they get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, that's a sensible vote I'd say.

      Another vote for World Party

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I'm familiar with both of these. This is a very tough choice. I love Message in a Box. It has a very "Traveling Wilburys" feel to it, and Wallinger's voice would fit in The Wilburys perfectly. Although most of them - Orbison, Harrison (the instigator,) and Petty - are gone, Dylan and Jeff Lynne should press on with the group and bring him in as a Wilbury cousin. Add Dhani Harrison and maybe Bob Seger and you'd have something pretty good.

    Even though "in a Box" is very easy to listen to and I love it, and even though "Message in a Bottle" is NOT as easy to listen to but I still enjoy it... I am giving my vote to The Police. Most of Sting's songs are VERY complex. Listening is not always easy, though they are often great, great songs that don't sound like anything else.

    If I don't see you again for a mid-month battle, have a blessed Christmas!

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, I hadn't thought of the Wilburys similarity, but you're right. Sounds like a pretty great collaboration that will probably never happen.

      Sting has written some fine songs and this is among his best I think.

      You have a blessed Christmas and New Year as well!

      Another vote for The Police.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I hope you have an equally enjoyable Christmas!

    Message in a Bottle gets overplayed on the radio here and it's a good song, but... There's something charming and uplifting about the World Party tune, which I've never heard before. Please give my vote to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, all the best to you and your family this Christmas.

      The Police song was a huge hit so I guess it's pretty much a classic that people like to hear. I get what you're saying about the World Party song.

      World Party

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I really liked World Party's song, so I'm giving it my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, when you like it then vote for it--that's BOTB!

      Again it's World Party

      Lee

      Delete
  7. From Facebook comes a vote from my Cousin Tom for...

    World Party.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer The Police! Great battle for being tight on time. Have a blessed and happy Christmas season, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, this Battle was waiting in the hopper after coming to me just a couple weeks ago. Seemed like the right Battle for the right time. Merry Christmas to you too!

      A vote for The Police.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. BOIDMAN ~

    This was a too-easy Battle for me.

    I saw The Police live at the Whisky A Go Go in 1978, just before their first hit 'Roxanne' hit Billboard. At that time, it was a little-known song that only KROQ (the small market New Age-y radio station in L.A.) was playing. I'd heard the song on KROQ, liked it, and went to see The Police at The Whisky's postage stamp-sized venue. I was so close to the band that they were probably sloshing sweat on me from time to time.

    Of course, the rest is history: The Police became a massively popular band that even KMET & KLOS started playing. However, I eventually grew tired of the band's Reggae-lite shtick and Sting's unbearable pretentiousness. (I'll bet he's still mad at God for not letting him be born Black in Jamaica, mon!)

    I prefer my message in a box. Bottles are for hooch, not messages.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I was in NYC in 1978 when the Police were playing a number of clubs around the city. I would have like to have gone, but the people we were staying with took us to some other strange club. Later in 1982 my wife and I saw the Police in Richmond VA at the Civic Coliseum when they were touring with the Go-Go's during the "Ghost in the Machine" tour. Not as intimate as a club gig but it was still a great concert other than the person behind us who threw up.

      I have a lot of Police and Sting albums on various formats, but I don't really listen to them much these days. I still like to hear their music though.

      A vote for World Party

      Lee

      Delete
  10. WP is really catchy, but I think I'll still take the police.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, the World Party song really is catchy!

      The vote goes to The Police.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I gave it a shot, but it still comes down to the Police. In this sense I feel it's an age thing; we were around the same age when they were becoming big stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitch, those were the days!

      A vote for The Police.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. And on the record: Stewart Copeland loved your drumming… assuming you are THAT Mitch Mitchell!

      Delete
    3. Not the same. I checked and I think the drummer of the same name passed away in 2008.

      Lee

      Delete
    4. A bit of an inside joke. I knew the drummer Mitch had passed... but I knew that Copeland, the drummer of The Police, was in reality a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix's drummer Mitchell. So I was being silly by implying the vote was simply a mutual admiration society.

      Delete
  12. I forgot that Message in a Box song! And I really like it. Still, I thought I would vote for the classic Police song until I listened to it again, and the discordant sound filled me with anxiety. So I'm going with World Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I'd forgotten about that song too until recently. I hear you on the anxiety.

      A vote for World Party.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Hey, I actually know that first one. I admit, the Police is more my style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, I guess just about anyone in our culture would know the song by The Police.

      Style is what it's all about.

      The Police.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. J, hello there! I need to send you an email

      A vote for The Police.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee