This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, December 15, 2023

El Cumbanchero ( #BOTB )

      It's Christmas time and that means time for favorite Christmas songs and that provides another opportunity for sharing that music fun in what we call...

 Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Favorite Christmas Song

       What song most evokes the Christmas season for you?  So many to choose from!  And so many that you might wish would go away.  I have many favorites among traditional as well as pop Christmas songs, but one song takes me back to many Christmas events in my younger days.   

        You might remember "El Cumbanchero" from my earlier Battle "The Real Juggling Music" where Xavier Cugat's version of the song ran away with the victory.  This Battle consisted of two songs my family used in our juggling act.  So why, you might wonder, does this song have any particular significance for me during the Christmas season?  Naturally I'm going to explain it to you now.

       Since my father always worked at a regular job in all his years as head of a household, our juggling performances were mostly relegated to two times of the year:  summer vacation and Christmastime.  Back in the fifties and sixties it was fairly common for companies and organizations to host Christmas parties for their employees.  Often a part of the festivities would include some kind of variety show or entertainment.  From November to Christmas we would be booked on many of these shows and since "El Cumbachero" was the back-up for our act's exciting finale, we would hear that song repeatedly throughout the holiday season.  It was a song we probably heard as much as any Christmas song. So now if I hear it, my thoughts will take me back to those days juggling with my family and the many Christmas shows we would do.

       For this Battle I am offering a version of "El Cumbanchero" that we actually used from 1966 and after up against a very different version that I recently heard on the PBS television show Song of the Mountains.


The Pepper Pots  "El Cumbanchero"  (1958)





Jeff Little Trio  "El Cumbanchero"    (2022)





Time to Vote!

          Don't be a Scrooge!  Have fun and play along.  Which song version do you like best? 
  Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours. I don't know if anyone else will be doing a Battle this time around, but you can still check out these sites.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 






Results coming on Friday December 22
  
        It's a busy time I know, but I'll try to do this in a timely manner.  No matter what--Have a Wonderful Christmas.   Hope your 2024 is pretty good too.





17 comments:

  1. The Pepper Pots did an excellent, if traditional, version of this song. The Jeff Little Trio, on the oher hand, did an excellent non-traditional version of the song. They really impressed the hell out of me. Jeff Little Trio for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, starts off the voting with a vote for the...

      Pepper Pots.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I can understand why a song sticks with you during a certain time of year. I'm going with the first one and the more traditional sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, music has special meaning for each of us.

      Pepper Pots.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Interesting battle Lee, as well as your memoir about the song. I find myself attracted to the Jeff Little Trio's version more. It had my toes tapping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, happy tappy toes lead to a vote for...

      Jeff Little Trio.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Both versions are outstanding! Your memories of holidays past dominated the mesmerizing visual you created for me as I listened to the The Pepper Pots. I think my pulse even quickened ;-) While The Jeff Little Trio were stimulating, the Pepper Pots were riveting (at least to my mind’s eye), so they get my vote. This battle was exactly what I needed after sitting at my desk all day – thanks, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LEE ~

    You gotta be the only person whole the world who associates this music with Christmas, but it certainly makes plenty o' sense why you do.

    I'm tossing my two cents into The Pepper's Pot. Why? Well, to be honest, a little banjo goes a long way with me. Banjo is kind of like Reggae -- I like them both, but I get my fill of them very quickly. If I were going to listen to this song on a fairly regular basis, I'd rather hear all that percussion than all them strings.

    Best wishes to you and your family, Lee, during this Christmas season and throughout the next (even crazier?) year.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, Yeah, not many people probably think of "El Cumanchero" at any time let alone Christmas. I guess banjo has kind of that love/hate thing with folks.

      I think 2024 is going to be exceptionally crazy--worse than 2020 which was the most ridiculous year of my life.

      A vote for Pepper Pots.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Lee, your story and song pick made me smile. Isn't it funny how music links your memories to particular events? Thanks for sharing your story. In this battle, I preferred the Jeff Little Trio. I think I was drawn in by their more Appalachian mountains flair. :) Here's hoping you and yours has a very merry Christmas, my friend!

    Here's my !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what went wrong with leaving my link to my battle but if you click the exclamation mark it takes you to it. lol

      Delete
    2. Cathy, so many memories attached to music of all kinds!

      A vote for Jeff Little Trio

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Wow! This is tough because they are so different. I am giving this to the Jeff Trio. I love the singing I the first but I really love how well they playthe instruments in the 2nd version so they get my vote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, they are about as different as a song can get.

      A vote for Jeff Little Trio.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Put me down for a vote for Pepper Pots. The musicianship of the bluegrass guys is great, and I really love bluegrass (AND LOTS of banjos and mandolins...) but not on this one. The traditional sound is great here.

    SIxgun McSerious cumbanchero

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 Gun, I agree that the musicianship on the bluegrass version is excellent, but so are the other guys.

      A vote for Pepper Pots

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee