This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Visit by L. Diane Wolfe




L. Diane Wolfe "Spunk On A Stick"
Professional Speaker & Author

http://www.spunkonastick.net/
http://www.thecircleoffriends.net/


       L. Diane Wolfe is probably already recognizable to many of my readers.  Her wonderfully eclectic blog is informative and entertaining.  Her blog offers advice on writing, speaking, and motivation; reviews; stories; links to other informational blogs; and even photos.  Diane is an amazingly talented individual who does public speaking and authors books.  Currently she is on her book tour promoting her newest release in her young adult literature CIRCLE OF FRIENDS series.  She has already visited numerous other blogsites on her virtual book tour and if you are interested in checking out some of those other visits she has them listed on her site.

          Today on Tossing It Out I had a few questions for Diane about speaking in public.  Many of us have a mortal fear of standing in front of people and giving a speech.  However, speaking is often part of the promotional job of an author.  Part of Diane's business is helping to motivate people, but also she instructs people like writers how to promote themselves and their writing.  So with that in mind I have some questions for our spunky expert.

 How did you start? Do you do anything in particular to prepare (classes in school, clubs, church)?

I was involved with a motivational training program for ten years, and that’s where I learned public speaking.


I remember the first time I stood on stage in front of several thousand people. I only had to say a couple lines, but I was so nervous! Microphone in hand, I scanned the crowd and located a familiar face in the audience. That person’s smiling face gave me the confidence I needed and I survived my first ordeal without incident.


I’m a member of the National Speakers Association and they offer many opportunities to grow as a speaker. I always want to continue to improve my craft!

 How do you overcome nervousness (if you become nervous)? Do you do anything special before an engagement to connect with your audience that helps you feel more comfortable?

I’m really only nervous when I give a talk for the first time or if I haven’t done a particular seminar in a while. There’s a little anxiety going on, but I tend to funnel my nervousness into enthusiastic energy. I may feel uneasy, but my audience only sees ‘Spunky.”


When speaking to an organization or business, I try to learn about the group before the event. What’s their focus? What will rock their world?


For my seminars, I keep in mind those people have come to learn. It may be old news to me, but for many, it’s the first time they’ve ever heard the information. I focus on how I can help them. They don’t care about me! They want to know how I can enrich their lives.

 Why would improving one's speaking skills be important to a writer who might not feel particularly comfortable with speaking? Seems obvious to me, but I repeatedly read about authors who just want to write and not promote or speak in public.

*Chuckle* Besides the obvious?


Yes, the Internet is a powerful tool, but authors cannot rely just on the Web.


As authors, we’re gonna have to talk to people! We’ll need to speak at book signings and library events. We’ll speak to book clubs and writer’s groups. And we can’t forget the media! If we’re on TV or the radio, we are speaking.


Speaking makes us more marketable as an author. All of the possibilities I mentioned above revolve around speaking about our book. However, those opportunities expand ten-fold when we are able to speak professionally on a given topic. (And those venues appreciate us more when we talk about something other than our book. In fact, the media will demand it!)


Think of all the businesses, organizations, and events that need speakers. We open ourselves up to new audiences, ones we might not reach on our own. Many of these venues pay us to speak as well.


And a strange thing happens when we speak - more people buy our books!
Need I say more?
                              #############

     As far as I'm concerned that just about puts it in a nutshell.  And in my book Diane's exactly right, but we're not here to talk about my book, today this is about L. Diane Wolfe's book.  So thanks to Diane for some good advice and here's some information about her book which is now available:



                                THE CIRCLE OF FRIENDS
                                    BOOK V … HEATHER
                                     BY L. DIANE WOLFE

                          When confidence turns to frustration…

         A new beginning awaits Heather Jennings. The position at Clemson means she will finally realize her dream of coaching basketball. Heather is ready to focus on her duties, using sheer force if necessary to prove her independence.
  
      Sadly, her triumph is hampered as her father and greatest advocate lies dying of cancer. Battling her grief, she must also deal with a sister who appears incapable of responsibility or achievement. And once basketball season begins, a talented but cocky player who resembles her in every manner challenges all that remains of Heather’s patience.

         Heather’s life changes when she encounters a man capable of handling her bold and feisty attitude. Straightforward and smug, he entices her to date him, and despite his gruff nature shows a great capacity for compassion. However, the last thing Heather needs is a serious relationship with a man equally fixated on work and opposed to marriage…


Release date: March 16, 2010, Dancing Lemur Press, L.L.C.
$19.95 USA, 6x9 Trade paperback, 282 pages, Fiction/YA
ISBN 978-0-9816210-5-0 / 0-9816210-5-8


How about these reviews!>>>

“Heather deals with real life and real situations.” 5 Stars
- Teens Read Too


Curl up onto your favorite reading spot and journey along with Heather as she seeks the balance of family and work relationships. Be prepared to be pulled into Heather’s world and you will find yourself cheering her on and wanting to scold her at the same time. L. Diane Wolfe has created amazing characters with believable attributes and flaws; making Book V in the Circle of Friends series a true gem.”
- Donna M. McDine, Write What Inspires You Book Reviews


“Even after reading the novel, I am haunted by these characters… These characters are real to me, living breathing people that I now feel like I’ve known for years. This is the power of Wolfe’s writing.”
- The Book Pedler



Described as “encouragement personified”, Wolfe’s five-book Southern-based series portrays love and friendship overcoming all obstacles. Known as “Spunk On A Stick” to her fans, Wolfe is also a professional speaker. Originally from Oregon, she now resides in North Carolina. “With a positive attitude, any goal can be achieved!” http://www.thecircleoffriends.net/      http://www.spunkonastick.net/



Book Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn7tSWQqdYc


Author Information:

                                  L. Diane Wolfe
                        Professional Speaker & Author
     http://www.spunkonastick.net/      http://www.thecircleoffriends.net/
           http://www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com/


Known as “Spunk On A Stick,” Wolfe is a member of the National Speakers Association. “Overcoming Obstacles With SPUNK! The Keys to Leadership & Goal-Setting”, ties all of her goal-setting and leadership seminar’s information together into one complete, enthusiastic package. Her YA series, The Circle of Friends, features morally grounded, positive stories that appeal to both teens and concerned parents. Ten years associating with a motivation training system and experience as a foster parent gave her the in-depth knowledge of relationships, personality traits and success principles. Wolfe travels extensively for media interviews and speaking engagements, maintains a dozen websites & blogs, manages an online writer’s group, and contributes to several other sites.


Links to purchase:

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Friends-Book-V-Heather/dp/0981621058/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265066454&sr=1-12

Barnes & Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Circle-of-Friends/L-Diane-Wolfe/e/9780981621050/?itm=12&usri=l++diane+wolfe

Dancing Lemur Press L.L.C. : http://www.dancinglemurpress.com/id18.html

20 comments:

  1. Thank you, Diane, it was nice of you to visit. I hope you will be available to answer any questions that any of the readers may have.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful interview Lee, what a lovely person Diane is. I was so overwhelmed by what she said and about her books I will certainly go and get her latest asap.
    Thanks for sharing this, made my day.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and great interview.

    I would like to ask Ms Wolfe a question.

    What would you advise a new author who cannot, for a variety of reasons, go out on speaking engagements and to promote his book? In my case for example, my book is published in the USA and available worldwide through the Internet on Amazon and other book sellers; yet I live in the UK and cannot promote it in the US.

    Thanx and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting interview. First one I have seen in a blog, but I am new to this avenue.

    I will read it several times, I want to glean some helpful hints.

    I have a dream of writing a book for publication but haven't quite figured it all out and actually get started.

    Great comment on my site today. I have seen how you summarize the days comments and have thought about adopting that practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, Lee! I love to see such a great showcase of another writer's work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow -- fabulous advice here. I too, think it's so important to be able to speak to others. Especially about your books. Great stuff today ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent comments! An author has to be willing to speak. My problem is coming up with something to talk about besides my book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yvonne, thank you so much!

    Karen, I'll get right on that!

    Victor, you need to be doing all you can online - with your blog, website, and social sites. Do you have a fan page on Facebook? Have you written articles for other websites, blogs or newsletters? Look into article banks as well, such as Article City or EZines. Have you done any podcasts? Check out Blog Talk Radio and Global Talk Radio for shows. I've done several shows that featured authors from Europe.
    Hope that helps.

    Thanks B. Miller, Gregg, and Karen.

    And sorry Lee, I was out for most of the morning, but I will check back several more times today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Speaking thing still has me nervous, but guess I'll have to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always appreciate feature articles on the Spunkster, and this one did not disappoint! Nice job laying this out, Arlee, and thanks for sharing, Diane. :)

    The Old Silly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview, interesting questions, thanks for sharing this talented lady with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She sounds fab. I've learnt a lot about public speaking in the last couple of years (though I'm still a rank beginner!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alex, you will!

    Thanks Old Silly.

    Thank you Debra.

    And Rachel - no rank beginner! You are a pro! Keep telling yourself that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great stuff! I was terrified of any kind of speaking when I was a kid. I'm getting better, but useful tips are always welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lee - thanks for inviting me to see visit your blog. I really enjoyed this interview with Diane - you have some great information here.

    And Diane, thank you for being so generous in sharing resources - I've been trying to build my web presence (as you noticed, Lee). I'll be sure to take a look at article banks and podcasts.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks to my father being a Pastor and my husband in the ministry as well- speaking has always been a part of my life. I'm always humbled after I see the ways God chooses to use me before people. I just pray that whatever I say will give Him the glory.

    Diane you have laid a beautiful foundation for your work. Promoting is a vital part of the writing life, and you've managed to weave it all together. Nice interview!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to give a really big thanks to Diane for making this post extra special today. I enjoyed your visit and I think the readers got some good information.

    And of course an especially big thank you to all of my wonderful readers who participated in todays post with your comments and questions. Love it when you stop by and hope you keep on coming back.
    Arlee Bird

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks everyone!

    And thank you so much Lee for hosting me.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee