This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Writing Regrets? (or Regrets about Writing) ( #IWSG )

 

To vote on my January 1st Battle of the Bands please visit here.  Votes have come in on the low side so I hope you can take a moment to vote before results are announced on Friday January 7th...


The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog


The co-hosts for the January 5 posting of the IWSG are Erika Beebe, Olga Godim, Sandra Cox, Sarah Foster, and Chemist Ken!


January 5 question - What's the one thing about your writing career you regret the most? Were you able to overcome it?


        Let me start by saying that I'm not one to dwell much on regret.  Whatever decisions I've made in my past have brought me to where I am today and I'm relatively content with where I am now.  Sure, there are some things that might be better in my life, but things could be a whole lot worse as well.  I'm thankful for who I am now, what I have, and where I have been in my life.  Life is good!

       But playing the what-if game for the purpose of this month's question, I regret most not writing more than I could have.  There are so many ideas that I have still to expand upon and pursue that none of them will see the eyes of any audience until I write them and put them out there.  Let's face it:  I'm lazy in respect to writing and so far I have not overcome it.


      On a sadder note, Jeremy Hawkins, the graphic design artist and blogger who was responsible for most of the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge badges and other artwork passed away recently.  He will be greatly missed.  February 2nd has been designated a Jeremy Hawkins tribute day for bloggers who might like to express their appreciation and thoughts about him.  See more at Alex's blog.











34 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Jeremy Lee, my sincere condolances to family and friends.
    Enjoyed reading your post as always. May I wish you a Healthy, Peaceful New year and take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I wish you all the best as well. Life is as good as we allow it to be.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on not looking back...too long and far. Sad about Jeremy Lee. Condolences to his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, look back with fond pleasure--even the bad stuff has significant meaning, but it shouldn't be a burden.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. It's good not to have regrets. Can't change the past, after all. Happy New Year, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liza, I see so many people who are depressed because of whatever happened in the past. To me that depression is meaningless to the present.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. We can't change the past.
    Sent a message to Jeremy's brother and see if we can't coordinate that day with the family and everyone else. Will let you know when I hear more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, Jeremy deserves a good send off. He was a loyal guy to many of us bloggers.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I'm really sorry to hear about Jeremy! He was such an important part of the blogging community.

    I've long believed that nothing in life is really a mistake or waste, so long as it gets us to where we are now, we learn from it, and don't repeat it going forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, Everything means something. Learning is far more useful than regretting.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

    I'm a bit like you in my views of regrets. It's all development toward something or another (though I, too, wish I could've written more before now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, if bad things happen and we don't learn from those experiences, then they should at least toughen us up for future bad things that might happen. Sadly this isn't the case for some people.

      Lee

      Delete

  7. I think a way to look at our writing is how we are humans and we juggle multiple roles. I know many other interests share your heart and that’s ok :)
    Happy IWSG day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika, ironically I am often a bad juggler at life. But that's okay because that's just me.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I'm totally with you on your first paragraph. What we've gone through makes us what we are for better or worse and I think it has (on the whole) been for the better for me.
    And I could be doing more writing, but that is all on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, writers should probably be thankful for the bad things that happen and the mistakes they have made. It gives us more subject matter about which to write.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Had I made different decisions, I wouldn't be where I am now, and I like where I am now.

    I read about Jeremy's passing on Facebook. That is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, like many A to Z bloggers, Jeremy's work is all over my blog page. He will be missed.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Indeed. I have SO many ideas that I sometimes think that's what blocks me up. I don't know which one to work on because in my mind they are ALL good.

    I'm sorry to hear about Jeremy. May your memories of him bring a smile to your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bish, it's good to be a prolific fountain of ideas. Channeling those ideas is a challenge.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Great attitude, Arlee.
    I'm so sorry to hear about Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sad about Jeremy. I still have the banner he made me up on my website. It was supposed to be changed out soon, but now I'm hesitating.

    The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, he did my banner as well. His artwork is all over my page.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. What a healthy attitude to take. Looking back with regret rather than to learn the lesson being taught us is surely a waste of energy.

    So sorry to hear about Jeremy. I didn't know him personally, but he was always so helpful. A loss indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debs, I like to remember fondly, but move forward armed with lessons learned.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Lee,

    What dreadful news about Jeremy! I didn't know him well, just his presence associated with the A to Z Challenge. What happened? Had he been ill? I know y'all were buddies for a long time. Saying prayers for his family and friends.

    I appreciated reading your thoughts on regrets regarding your writing. I think my response would be similar to yours if I played the what if game, too.

    Again, I'm saddened for your loss, my friend. Sending hugs and love your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, Jeremy's death came to me as a surprise. I saw where his brother mentioned it on FB. I'm thinking it must have had something to do with COVID from the way the post read, but I couldn't say for sure. We were real close in real life, but we corresponded now and then via email.

      Enjoy your snow!

      Lee

      Delete
  15. What if we had made some decision that resulted in us not being writers at all? Perish the thought!

    The past happened and here we are. You're right- life is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, gotta have a positive outlook in order to be at least a little happy.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. My biggest regret is not starting earlier with my writing. But to be honest, I know that wouldn't have been possible at the time what with the other commitments I had at the time. Still it's fun to dream.

    Happy 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, we typically do what makes most sense at the time--or is the easiest thing to do.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. I have lazy times also. I so sorry about Jeremy. I didn't know him but rather knew of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'm lazy more than I like or should be.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee