This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, January 1, 2022

We're the Couple in the Castle (BOTB)

If a man's home is his castle then my castle has been besieged for the past few weeks.  We have been beset upon by a small army of varied craftsmen and laborers as they do work in our kitchen and master bedroom suite...

       As we enter into the first week of 2022 we also enter into nearly a month of an alien invasion.  It's what we asked for and hopefully for our own good in the end, but for now our lives have been in a bit of a disarray.   Fortunately we have a comfortable spare bedroom and bath where we can stay until the work is done.  And there are plenty of food places nearby where we can go to eat when we get hungry.  

      This has not been the worst experience in our lives, but I am ready for these people to finish up and leave.  Then we can think of the next things that need to be done to our castle.  For now we have a holiday weekend of peace and quiet until it all resumes on Monday.  What a nice time to enjoy another Battle of the Bands...


Battle of the Bands

        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this                                                                                 post for more Battle action.


We're the Couple in the Castle

       A number of years ago I watched a delightful animated film from 1941 called Mr. Bug Goes to Town.  The story was about a young songwriter and his wife who are about to lose their little home to the forces of urban "progress".   The man has written a song--"We're the Couple in the Castle"--which he is sure will be the big hit he needs to get the money to save their home.  However, the envelope with the song being sent to a publisher gets lost as it is being mailed.  Fortunately, the bugs who live on the couple's property find the envelope, get it into the right hands, and ultimately save the day.

       Intrigued by this song I'd never heard before watching the film, I did some research about it and discovered that there were some cover versions.  Voila!  Another Battle of the Bands in the waiting line.  At last, this seems like an appropriate time to bring this Battle to the light.  Here you go with one old version and one more modern version.  Which will you choose as your favorite?


Glenn Miller   "We're the Couple in the Castle"  (1941) 







Lisa Hindmarsh "We're the Couple in the Castle" (2002)







Time to Vote!
        
         Don't let this diversion bug you too much!   Nothing complex about it.  Which artist do you enjoy the most?   Of the two versions, which do you like better?  I hope you'll at least give the versions a listen to discern your favorite.    Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 




Winner of this Battle Announced on Friday January 7.
   
         This Wednesday I'll have another post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group, but you can vote on this Battle right up to Thursday.  Hope you have a great 2022 in store.  Surely it will be better than the past two years.  It's gotta be!





25 comments:

  1. I hope you soon get your home back to yourselves. Not a good time for home improvements.
    I vote for Glen Miller as I am more familiar with is music.
    Take care Lee and a Happy New Year to you and all your family.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, no time is good for home improvements when you're living in the house.

      First vote goes to Glenn Miller..

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I have empathy for your situation. My daughter and family had their dishwasher go out two months ago, flooding the kitchen and ruining cabinets and floor. It is all insured, but insurance company has fussed and battled with contractors and they have not been able to use their kitchen that whole time. Contractors tore things out right away but I think it will be another two months before they can use it. Four months with no kitchen is a nightmare! They just want their lives back, as you do.

    Anyway, interesting song and movie. Both versions are good. I figured I would vote for Miller, but I think I will vote for the soft and easy Lisa H version instead. Hope your 2022 is better than your 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six, fortunately we have yet to deal with any flooding. Hopefully never as it would be a bad scene for sure.

      2022 has got to be better than the past 2 years. Well, maybe not, but it would be nice.

      A vote for Lisa Hindmarsh.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. From my Cousin Tom on Facebook comes a vote for...

    Lisa Hindmarsh.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I thought you were talking aBout elves creating Christmas for you and then my brain started to work and I realized that you are undergoing a renovation at a crazy time. I hope it is done soon and maybe pics?? I thought I would be going for Glen Miller since. Normally like the older stuff but this lady has a great voice and with the piano, I just really enjoyed listening to her so I am voting for Lisa Hindmarsh. I would like to see that cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, from the looks of Home Depot and Lowe's there are a lot of people doing home renovations and repairs. A lot in my neighborhood. It's easier to do this time of year in Los Angeles. I should have thought about before and after pics. Maybe some after if I remember.

      The film is available on YouTube.

      Another vote for Lisa Hindmarsh.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year, BOIDMAN!

    I'm not sure if the engineering / mixing was a bit off or what, but the Glenn Miller version sounded a bit unnaturally high 'n' harsh to my ears. Which is odd because The Glenn Miller Orchestra is actually my favorite musical group of all time, ever! But this didn't have that full, rich lush sound I'm accustomed to.

    So, I don't know if this was just a poor recording or poor upload of the recording, but either way, to my great surprise, I'm going to vote for the Smooth Jazz sound of LISA HINDMARSH in this match-up.

    Here's hoping your castle is restored soon, Brother!

    Bless And Be Blessed!!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I'm not sure how you were listening or your state of mind when listening, but it sounded like a lot of the Miller I remember hearing. I listened to other YouTube versions of the same song by Miller and they all sounded pretty much the same.

      A vote for Lisa Hindmarsh.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Hello!

    Home improvements can be so very frustrating. I have a brother that purchased his mother-in-law's 100yr old home about 2 years ago. While he and his wife lived in New York, they had other family members living in the home until last year. He hired a contractor to come in and make improvements on the home, as my brother and his wife would be returning to Idaho when he retired this past April. They weren't able to move in until November.

    Glenn Miller always makes me nostalgic for my days of living in Sun Valley, America's first Ski Resort and home of the World's first ski chair lift. Glenn Miller performed there in his heyday - even did a film or two. As a tribute, the resort would often play his music, especially in the wintertime.

    But it's Lisa's vocals that win me over for this battle. So pleasant to listen to and puts a little spark of joy in my day.

    Lisa gets my vote.

    Happy New Year to you and yours and hopefully you'll be back in your master bedroom again soon.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, upgrading a 100 year old home seems like a special challenge. I'd like to see those results. I love old homes, but my wife does not.

      Glenn is not living up to my expectations in this Battle.

      Lisa Hindmarsh.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Hey Lee,

    I'm sorry life is still in an upheaval with the renovation. I hope it's done soon. I love the big band sound of Glenn Miller but in this battle, maybe it's my mood I preferred Linda Hindmarsh. I really like her jazzy vibe. I would've come by earlier this morning by we got hit with a snow storm producing 3-4 inches of snow, knocking out our power and Internet most of the day. Temps are expected to plummet into the low 20s tonight so I worry that will cause more outages overnight. Take care and may the new year be kind to you and yours, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, hopefully our guys will be done and out of here by the end of this week, but we'll see.

      Our "cold" here in Los Angeles is a heat wave compared to back east.

      A vote for Lisa Hindmarsh.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. When we were having all that mild weather last week, I embraced it because I knew it wouldn't last long. It's so chilly today. The snow is falling outside my window and beginning to cling to the trees. I think the system is expected to stay over us until 8pm. The real killer will be the overnight low temps- 13º! BRRR!! Here's hoping you'll get your home back as planned.

      Delete
  8. Glen Miller is a no-brainer for me. Not that the other is bad, just not my jingle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, Glen needed your support.

      A vote for Glen Miller.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I quite enjoyed Lisa Hindmarsh's read on this tune. Sounds like she's in a lounge, which I like a lot. She gets my vote.

    I won't be having a battle until the 15th... I've changed the widget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, we'll catch your Battle next round.

      A vote for Lisa Hindmarsh.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Living through renovations must be a huge inconvenience. Hope they get them done soon and to your liking! As for the battle, I enjoyed both versions, but the smooth jazz vibe of Lisa Hindmarsh was especially mellow. Please give my vote to her. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, if we didn't have our extra bedrooms and baths we would have had to move out I guess. Still it is a very big inconvenience.

      Again a vote for Lisa Hindmarsh.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year, Lee!

    A vote for Lisa! I really enjoyed the jazzy, holiday vibe. I didn't even know that song had lyrics ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, this is becoming a very lopsided contest!

      A vote for Lisa Hindmarsh.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I liked both versions, but would have to give it to Glenn Miller. That old-timey sound is everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, an old timey sound is appropriate for an old timey sounding song.

      Glenn Miller.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Results for this Battle are now posted at:

    https://tossingitout.blogspot.com/2022/01/were-done-for-now-botb-results.html

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee