This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, March 1, 2024

Trouble of the World #3 (BOTB)


     I guess I've been pretty lax of late in respect to blogging and other internet activities.  What can I say?  Not much.  I'm doing fine and keeping busy with other things.  But here I am with another Battle.  And I'll even report the results of my previous Battle.  Yeah--I know...

Crazy Love Battle

       In my February Battle, Freddie Falcon ran away with the thing.  I liked both versions so whatever I liked best doesn't matter much because Freddie won no matter what.  And that's all I have to say about that.



Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.




Trouble of the World

       I've used this traditional spiritual a couple times in the past.  As I said back then, there are so many good versions of this tune that I could do several Battles with it.  So, here it is again, this time with a couple of jazzy versions.  Which do you prefer?




The 13th Amendment  "Trouble of the World"   (2012 )











Crosscurrents  "Trouble of the World" (2011)






Time to Vote!

         The only trouble I'm seeing at the moment is if you don't vote.  C'mon!  Let's play!   In other words, which song version do you like best? 
  Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours. I don't know if anyone else will be doing a Battle this time around, but you can still check out these sites.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 






Results coming on Friday March 8
 
        They'll be coming after my #IWSG post next Wednesday.  If I think it's worth doing and I feel like it.   And if I don't get too distracted.  That can happen as some of you well know.





16 comments:

  1. I like the energy of the first one - The 13th Amendment gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, voting starts off with a vote for....

      13th Amendment

      Lee

      Delete
  2. The first contender sounded a bit jumbled. Crosscurrents is much better. Please give my vote to contender #2! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, the first one was definitely more far out jazz.

      Crosscurrents

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I can't say either was up my line, but Crosscurrents was an easy winner for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Crosscurrents so they get my vote

    ReplyDelete
  5. BOIDMAN ~

    Nice to see you back in our corner of the sphere.

    I didn't really warm up to the 13th Amendment rendition of 'Trouble Of The World'. I felt like the actual "song" got completely lost in all of that Miles Davis / John Coltrane improvisational jive.

    With CROSSCURRENTS, we got to hear the song 'Trouble Of The World', and it included some cool Wes Montgomery-like guitar licks and a band that sounded like they knew where the melody was and had even rehearsed it a few times. Definitely a cover version that my soul (and Mahalia Jackson) could yell "YES!" to.

    Again, welcome back, Brother Bird!

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete

  6. Two very different versions - good battle! ☺ The 13th Amendment was more to my liking, especially the sax solo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got bored listening to the 13th Amendment cover. At first I liked the bass-and-drums, but after 3 minutes of that it got annoying. So give my vote to Crosscurrents...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What John said! I will add that the second version isn't really that great either. It is too slow and not "gospel" enough. But at least you hear the melody!

    SIxgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
  9. VOTE = Crosscurrents
    Although I liked the jazz-funkiness of The 13th Amendment's version, a couple of interesting chord progressions near the end and that sax solo was killer, I appreciated the smoother style and the vocals on the Crosscurrents version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Casting my vote for Crosscurrent, I enjoyed their vocals better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crosscurrents for me, too, please ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My results of this Battle are now posted as well as the reason for being a bit late and out of the loop..

    https://tossingitout.blogspot.com/2024/03/better-late-than-not-at-all-iwsg-botb.html

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee