This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Thursday, February 1, 2024

Crazy Love (English Edition) (#BOTB)

     Well, I just had a birthday in which I made it to 73 years.  Now that seems pretty crazy to me.  And I'm not especially loving it.  But I don't hate it either--as long as I keep feeling as good as I have been lately.  How the heck did I get here!  Here I am at 73, feeling physically more like 30 (to a certain degree) and mentally like 17.  Yeah, it's all crazy, but life is a bit crazy, especially in our crazy times...


Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Crazy Love
 
        I've used the Paul Anka penned song "Crazy Love" in a past Battle.  That time I used two foreign language versions, but I always intended to do another Battle with English versions.  That intended Battle sat in my queue for the past 7 years and now seems like a good time to bring it back.  Here we are:  Are you ready to go crazy?




Freddie Falcon   "Crazy Love"   (2007)








Dimitris Poulikakos    "Crazy Love"  (1979)








Time to Vote!

         Am I crazy to say that I'd love for you to vote in this Battle?  I don't think so.  It's just time to have some fun.  In other words, which song version do you like best? 
  Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours. I don't know if anyone else will be doing a Battle this time around, but you can still check out these sites.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 






Results coming on Friday February 9th
 
         There will be another #IWSG post in the interim, but I'll have some results after that.  Hope you stop back by for both.  Happy February!











26 comments:

  1. Happy birthday!
    I must be thinking of a different Crazy Love as neither song sounded anything like it. Hate to say it, but I didn't care for either version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I think there are a few songs with this title. This is probably the one most covered.
      Starting off with no vote. Well, that sucks.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday again, Lee! I'm like you, every time I celebrate a birthday I'm like how did I get here? I sure feel nothing like I thought I should at my age, physically or mental and I hope I never do seeing I'm now classified as a senior.

    In this battle, I preferred Freddie Falcon. I loved the prominence of the sax and piano. Also, I totally liked that Falcon didn't do anything crazy with the vocals like his contender which really shot him down. Give my vote toFreddie Falcon, please!

    Join me when you have a moment for my Feb 1st BOTB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, birthdays seem to be inevitable but better to have another than no more.

      First vote goes to Freddie

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Although, I know where I'm bound when this life ends, I still rather take getting another year older. I guess my human side wants to hold onto this world for as long as possible. God created a beautiful place for us, filled with lots of people that we love!

      Delete
  3. Happy 73rd, BOIDMAN!

    Just last night, I was thinking about this high school girl named Jean whom I had crush on in 1975. Then when I woke up this morning, I thought about her again and it dawned on me that, wherever she is today, she's 66 or 67. That kind of short-circuited my brain. I don't have a problem admitting that *I* am now 64. But there's no way that a gal who looked as good as Jean did should ever have to become 66 or 67. Gah!

    My vote here goes to FREDDIE FALCON. I really liked that classic 1950s sound he had going on, with an added twist of something just slightly dark sounding.

    By comparison, I felt the vocal approach by Dimitris sounded almost Sha Na Na like. I could almost even see "Bowzer" in my mind while the song was playing. In other words, to me, this seemed like the genuine article going up against a semi-parody by some sort of cartoonish doo-wop revival group.

    May the FALCON fly to victory!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    [Link> BOTB's Battle Of The Booze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, older women look much better to me now than they used to, but so do the younger ones. I don't see any of the girls I went to school with in my daily life, but now and then I see deaths announced on Facebook. Seem to be more and more each year.

      Yeah, I can get the theatrics of Sha Na Na in that second version.

      Freddie.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Falcon wins this one hands down. (Meaning, nobody will raise their hand to vote for Dimitris! I think, anyway.) This is more about the odd vibrato vocal approach than about superlatives for Freddie... though he is fine.

    Congratulations on your birthday. I probably have said this before in a comment section in one of the battles of bands (since it has been going on for so many years!) but back when the show 60 Minutes first started, I was 14. The episode featured Harry Reasoner interviewing a 95 year old cowboy. Reasoner asked him: "what does it feel like to be 95?" The old cowboy said: "I don't feel like I a 95 year old man. I feel like a 25 year old man with something wrong with him."

    I thought at the time as a youth: that must be how it is. And that IS the way it is! Our minds are the same but the rest, meh.

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, as I've gotten older I feel like I've become wiser, but seems like those younger than me don't care that much about that potential wisdom. But that's what I did when I was younger so I guess it's just the way it's always been

      Another vote for Freddie.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday and you are only 37! Enjoy each moment. I will vote for Freddie Falcon because the 2nd one is a bit too nutty for my taste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, okay 37. I'll take it even though I've got kids older than that. I've been doing a lot of enjoying of moments in recent months.

      Freddie again.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday! I will vote for Dimitris Poulikakos (and thank you for putting his name in a cut-and-paste-friendly font). I liked his rendition better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, thanks for stopping the Freddie onslaught.

      A vote for Dimitris.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Happy you-day, Lee! I've quit counting the years (a bit depressing) so I can better appreciate another day for me ;-) Hope your day was fabulous!
    I liked Freddie Falcon best. He sounds like what you'd hear on Al's jukebox on Happy Days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, "my day" is now behind be though I'm still eating leftovers from the huge fancy meal I had two days ago. That day was great, but most of my days are.

      Freddie.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. This didn't take me long at all. Freddie Falcon by a mile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I like it when I don't have to do much thinking about what I like.

      Freddie.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. thecontemplativecat here. Freddie Falcon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, guess you're still having commenting problems?

      A vote for Freddie.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Happy 73rd brithday (a little late)! Yeah, getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative. ☺ I've never heard this song before and had a diffrent one in mind. I'm going with Freddie Falcon. The second one was a wee but over-the-top for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for all the typos! Fingers aren't cooperating. That "age" thing...

      Delete
    2. Debbie D, so far I'm pretty much okay with my aging, but more money would be nicer.

      Another vote for Freddie.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Here just to say hi, as I'm not much for music. Happy birthday, though! You are now almost as old as me. I don't feel it either. I'd say I feel about 58.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, better to feel younger than older when you reach a certain point.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Happy Belated, Lee!

    Apologies for arriving late with my vote. I've been doing more radiation and it's taking a toll on me.

    Casting my vote for Freddie Falcon

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, you made it and that's what matters most. Hang in there!

      A vote for Freddie.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee