This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

No Muddled Mess for Me ( #IWSG )

 

      AllMusic has long been a site that I've enjoyed going to for information on recorded music.  Lately though it seems more confusing and cluttered.  I really don't think it's me, but I think they changed the site in a way detrimental to my perception.  I hate going to sites for information and leaving frustrated and uninformed.  That's what I'm talking about...


The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog
     The co-hosts for the February 7 posting of the IWSG are Janet Alcorn, SE White, Victoria Marie Lees, and Cathrina Constantine!






February 7 question: What turns you off when visiting an author's website/blog? Lack of information? A drone of negativity? Little mention of author's books? Constant mention of books?

       I have to be honest.  Though I have dropped by several author websites, I don't visit them regularly.  Blogs are a bit different since I visit several each month at least for things like #ISWG hops or other times like Blogging from A to Z April Challenge (COMING SOON!).  Either way though, I want clarity when I visit any site.  Please don't make things pop up or move around with too much distraction.  I don't want to search for whatever should be obvious and make the deeper searches more attractive and easier to access.

       In other words, keep it simple and obvious.  If a site has lured me with accessibility to what I need immediately then maybe I'll feel more comfortable to explore further.  But if the site hits me with too much confusion and complexity then forget about it.  There's always something else to move on to.


      What's you own pet peeve about websites/blogs?  What changes have you made to your own site that you feel greatly improved it?   Did you ever make a change that was so poorly received that you had to reverse it? 


Are you ready for Blogging from A to Z?  







17 comments:

  1. I try not to confuse...
    Less than two months to go for the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every site needs a navigation bar - period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, one that works unlike my own at the present. I'm sure I need to do some updating.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I 100% agree. Busy sites are an immediate turnoff for me. I revamped my site about a year ago to make it look more like a website than just a blog. I'm mostly happy with it, but I think it's a bit too busy. I'd fix that, but I can't figure out how to make the changes I want to make using the WordPress theme I have, and I don't have the time to learn CSS well enough to hand code the changes. Ah, well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I hear you about that time issue. And for me it's a technical thing too--I just don't get it I guess.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Yup, totally agree,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee, I wholeheartedly agree. Clutter is a no go. Simplicity is what I gravitate towards. Ads and pop ups distract me and I normally do not stay long if I am bombarded by things that I am not interested in. I am looking forward to the A to Z Challenge. I took part years ago and am excited to enter the fray once more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ib, so glad that you'll be joining us again. We've got a great A to Z Team which is good because I don't know if I can keep up anymore like I used to. Have a great April!

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I have a few ideas for my theme for this year's Challenge, as well as a lot of tentative lists for themes I've not yet gotten around to, but I've not made my final decision yet.

    I agree about too much clutter on a website being a turnoff. Huge blinking gifs and images are annoying and require too much scrolling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, always a treat to have your contributions to the A to Z Challenge. You always come up with some very well researched stuff.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I am not ready for the A to Z challenge, but I'm glad to see you are! Keeping it simple and clear has absolutely been the theme for all the posts today. It's interesting to see how many of our minds went in the same direction on this. Happy IWSG day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simple and obvious. That's it, Lee. That's what it's all about. We need to be able to understand who you are and what you do and how to find it. All best to you, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Accessibility is big. If the site is hard to use, I don't want to visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Considering it was one of your blogs that got me into blogging in the first place, I'd say you've got an excellent grasp of how it all works ;-)
    I'm not a fan of pop-ups or sites that aren't easy to sign up to follow. I can't complain too much because I know I'm still learning ;-)
    I hadn't thought about A to Z until now. Now I'm thinking about it.
    Happy February, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like simplicity. Too much clutter reminds me of my home state's massively non-user friendly official website, which used to really aggravate me, both as a citizen and employee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean. I haven't changed my blog up for a long time and should get rid of some outdated stuff. April is around the corner

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simple is good. It should be easy to maneuver between tabs on the site.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee