This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Stuck in the Middle (#BOTB)






       Here I am in the middle of the #AtoZChallenge on an off day of letter posting.   So what am I going to do?   


Battle of the Bands!

Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some blogs there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle on the 1st of the month.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.

Stuck in the Middle

         Instead of using a theme that I connect to a song, I'm just going with the obvious.  This post will only be at the top of the page for a day since it's stuck in the middle of thirty days of posting so I hope I get enough voters.  For me the Stealer's Wheel song "Stuck in the Middle" immediately jumped into my head when I was looking at the current Battle positioning.

        This song has been stuck in my blog queue for a very long time and this seemed like a good time to use it.   I know this song has been used in at least one previous Battle on another blog, but I don't think anyone has yet used these versions linked below.   So nuff said about that.  Let's just get started...


Jodi Pederson   "Stuck in the Middle"  (2011)

        This young singer comes from Vernon, British Columbia.   What do call this style?  Folk-pop maybe?








Frantic Flintstones   "Stuck in the Middle"  (1999)

         Here's a British Psychobilly band that's put out a whole bunch of albums since 1986.  Get ready to bop...





Time to Vote!

    
   
 Which way are you gonna vote in this contest?  Are you kind of stuck between--wavering in your choice.   Please vote. What's your preference between these two choices? Which song version do you like best? You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

Please vote on your favorites by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Angel's Bark  

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 


Cherdo on the Flipside 



Winner of this Battle Announced on Sunday April 22nd

         There will be plenty of daily activity on Tossing It Out between now and then as I continue my posts for the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge.  Throughout the month I've been cluttering my blog with posts as I ponder the concept of clutter.  Let's face it--clutter never really ceases.


        Have you been following any of the A to Z Challenge posts on my blog or any other?  When do you feel stuck in the middle?    Did you finish your income taxes?




36 comments:

  1. Two extremes of the same song, I finally chose Jodie Penderson. Very good song for the middle of the A to Z. Lee/

    Enjoy your Sunday.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, they are kind of different. Theme appropriate song in my case.

      First vote for Jodi.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Not a big fan of that song I'm afraid. The Frantic Flintstones increased the pace a bit while the other artist slowed the pace, so they get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I like most songs if well performed in their genre. Well, not too many rap songs.

      A vote for Flintstones.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I love the song. This one was a toss up, two different styles. I will go with Jodi. I like her vocals better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, glad you could appreciate the song.

      Another vote to Jodi.

      lee

      Delete
  4. I preferred Gerry Rafferty solo. Some of my blogging friends are doing A-Z but one's bailed out. I haven't seen a lot of comments on their blogs from other participants either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, it would not be surprising if a number of A to Z starters bailed out before the end--there are usually some of those. That's why we see it as a "Challenge"...

      Lee

      Delete
  5. For me this was one of the easiest BOTB so far. Jodi gets my vote hands down. Her voice is amazing. Dare I say, Joan Jett?

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsie, I don't know much Joan Jett so you can say it without any dispute from me.

      A vote for Jodi.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. This is just such an infectiously fun song that I don't think I've ever heard a version I didn't like.

    Michele used the Michael Buble version in BOTB about a year ago, and although he lost the Battle, I loved his finger-poppin' version so much that it even eclipsed the original by Stealer's Wheel in my mind.

    I liked both of these recordings pretty well. Listened twice. At first, I thought I'd vote for Jodi but changed my mind after the second play-thru. Give my bote to PEBBLES, BAM-BAM & THE FRANTIC FLINTSTONES. It sounds like early, Sun Sessions-era Elvis.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I'm with you on this song. I've never heard a bad version that I can recall.

      A vote for Flintstones.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Sixgun McItchyfingerApril 15, 2018 at 9:12 AM

    I hope the A to Z thing is going well this year. Thank Heavens I'm not a blogger; I'd find it difficult to make the commitment to blog at all, let alone every day during the event!

    As for the battle, I'm going with the pleasant-voiced Jodi on this one. The FF version seems to me to have made a poor choice in going with super heavy reverb/echo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6Gun, A to Z seems to be going quite well from what I've seen. Really once you're used to the schedule, the April Challenge isn't that bad, but it is a time commitment.

      A vote for Jodi.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. First time hearing these covers. Enjoyed them both but think the British Psychobilly version will be my new favorite. - J@jmdvC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JMDV, glad to have introduced you to the Psychobilly group...

      A vote for Flintstones.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. for a hot minute, I thought I would be voting for Jodi. But after listening to both renditions twice, I found myself liking Frantic Flintstones more and more. Please cast my vote for the Frantic Flintstones

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I'm seeing a certain trend here which I'll explain next week I guess.

      A vote for Flintstones.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Just read through your A to Z posts so far - lots to think about, you ask some great questions, but I'm not cluttering your comment spaces along the way of those just now. I started at this post & decided to return to it to leave my vote. While Jodi has an amazing singing voice, the song somehow lacked authenticity in her rendition as if a song for the sake of a song. I can't believe I'd never heard of the Frantic Flintstones as they're British. Their version gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette, thank you for reading. Your comments I would never consider clutter!

      Another vote for Flintstones.

      lee

      Delete
  11. Ooooooo, Frantic Flintstones! I love that version. I think I'm gonna pen a note to Dwight Yoakum and tell him to take a swing at it, too. If you'd ask me beforehand, I'd have said that rockabilly wouldn't work well with this song.

    I stand corrected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherdo, I think Dwight could handle this tune well. I want to her his version when he does it.

      Another for Flintstones.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Happy middle of the A to Z Arlee! I really wanted to like Jodi's version but the Flinstones won me over. I think it is the faster beat. I know I've heard someone else do it (I'm thinking country style) but I can't remember who. Nice one!

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, This song has been covered many times so you very well might have heard this elsewhere aside from the original by Stealers Wheel.

      A vote for Flintstones.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Lee


    First off thanks for visiting iPad Art Sketch'M' is for my favorite Monster A2Z post on Saturday. I'm playing catch up this morning after being away from Blogosphere all weekend.

    Now, on to your BoTB. Your two cover artists are very different. The first one I really didn't care too much for. I think mostly because the gal sounded too one dimensional in her singing to suit my ears. I enjoyed the energy and closer song resemblance of contender #2, so give my vote to FRANTIC FLINTSONES. What a crazy name! lol


    To answer your questions, yes our taxes are done. We got that taken care of in February and I have visited your blog several times so far. I'm sure I've missed a few of your posts but I tried catching up when I can. I sorta follow the same game with many others this month, too. It does get a bit frantic at times but thankfully having my posts done ahead makes life less frantic.

    You'll find my BoTBs in today's all-in-one post below. I hope you have a less than frantic day, too! :)

    Curious as a Cathy
    iPad Art Sketch 'N' is for Naptime for Baby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I'm still trying to catch up to writing A to Z posts let alone visiting others, but I've been doing pretty well so far.

      A vote for Flintstones.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Ha! The Flintstones had me at their name ;-) and the beat kept me smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, who doesn't like the Flintstones cartoon series? Sounds like you got the bop!

      A vote for Flintstones.

      lee

      Delete
  15. Jodi Pederson has a nice voice and is pretty easy on the eyes, but The Frantic Flintstones had me dancing around (okay, wiggling back and forth in my chair), so they get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, that Pscyhobilly sound gets pretty infectious.

      A vote for Flintstones.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. Folk-pop or psychobilly? What a great choice. First, congratulations, Arlee, on an awesome selection. So, slide-guitar or yelps? It's so hard to keep a smile from my face. Clowns or jokers? Canada or Britain?

    I'll go with Jodi by a short guitar-head - and her voice is so smooth & mellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roland, glad you appreciated the choices and that they made you smile. The world needs more laughter and smiles.

      A vote for Jodi.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. I agree that 'clutter never ceases' :)
    I'm trying not to be stuck in the middle for #AToZChallenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Anita can't get stuck if you keep on moving.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. I go with Frantic Flintstones because there was a rockabilly Sound and 8 found it fun whereas the girl just was a bit of a slog. I have a ton of magazine to go through which I will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, can't have any slogs here.

      A vote for Flintstones.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee