This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, April 9, 2012

History--' yours, mine, and ours

History - HistoriaHistory - Historia (Photo credit: Aloriel)

     
         Most people think that marketing is hard and it certainly can be.  But "hard" is not the "H" word that I want to deal with in this post.  The word I'm thinking of is "history".

        Why would I connect history to marketing?   We all learned some history in school and now and then we might watch a history show on television.  What's this have to do with marketing your product?

         What I'm referring to is your own personal history, the history of your marketplace, and our history together as a provider and client.   To jump into a marketing venture without making it personal can lead to a cold relationship with no loyalty.  This is a recipe for failure.

         As you head into the strategic zone of creating a buzz for your product and building a customer base, you need to take a personal inventory of strengths and weaknesses.  Assess your past success and honestly admit your failures.  What have you been best at in the past?  Where will you need help?

         Once you have a clear understanding of your own history, start evaluating the histories of your associates in business--your vendors, partners, consultants, or whoever is helping you to get your venture off the ground and moving forward.  You want the best on your team--or at least those who are capable of providing you the knowledge and skills you will need in achieving your goals.

          When you've gotten the team in place and the venture going, keep track of the history.  Remember your customers and what it was that brought them your way in the first place.  Listen to what they have to say.  Pay attention to them especially if they stop paying attention to you.

           But don't let the team you've assembled fail you either.  Make sure they are staying in the same race that you are running.   Your history with them needs to be monitored and kept on the track you are on.

           Running a successful program is like conducting a orchestra.  You can't play all of the instruments yourself.  Your musicians all have histories that have made them masters of their crafts.  As the conductor you have to put everything together and work with it over time to make it into something presentable for your audience.

           Success has a history and is a product of many consolidated histories.   Ongoing success results from nurturing the history of the enterprise in which you are involved, whether it be getting a book published or a product mass-marketed.

            Heed the words of George Santayana, "Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it." If you flounder blindly through what you're doing and don't learn from any one's mistakes, the odds of finding success will be slim.    Knowing history and tracking your progress along your journey makes reaching goals a more sure thing.

Here's a blog for the letter 'H':

Someone who knows about history is Hilary.  Many of you know Hilary Melton-Butcher who writes at the blog Positive Letters...Inspirational Stories.   Her connections of historical events and trivia make for fascinating reading.


Enhanced by Zemanta

43 comments:

  1. Good morning, Lee. I am really enjoying your posts on marketing. Its been in depth, insightful and useful.

    I love Hilary's blog too. I always wonder how she can cram so much information into one post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee - thanks very much for the link-up - appreciate the thought ..

    You're so right - I hadn't really thought about history covering so much of our recent times - but of course we create history as we go.

    Then like you say - we all have our history .. for our own little worlds, that we hope one to expand out .. so we need to nurture our knowledge, presenting our product in the best light - based on updated historical reference.

    So wise .. and I like the orchestra analogy ... cheers and have a great week -

    You're doing an excellent job re the Challenge, as are all the other team members .. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most interesting these posts on Marketing. Thanks Lee.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting read. Most of the blogs I follow are of the comical nature - so there is something refreshing about reading your straight forward and to the point post.

    I hope that I'll have an opportunity to put this to use at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's difficult to understand why someone had stopped paying attention. That would help a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That quote is amazing and so damn true at that as well buddy. There's nothing that allows for consumers to have affinity with a company than a vast history behind a company, this is all true and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really liking your posts on marketing. I'd like to see one on managing your time with marketing if you're a writer. But you've probably already planned your posts for A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  8. History is definitely key. And thanks for linking to Hilary, she's great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting, we all need to learn lessons from our history as we go along, then we know what works. Applies just as much to writing itself, too. Great quote!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one of the truest statements ever said. History happens (and is recorded) for those who come after to learn from. Like I tell my kids: mistakes have value; you can learn from them as can others. Same goes for successes.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hadn't thought of it quite this way before, Lee. You always have a way of making me think about things in a new way - love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This part really jumped out at me -
    "To jump into a marketing venture without making it personal can lead to a cold relationship with no loyalty. This is a recipe for failure." - Loyalty and connection, personalization and customer service are so important. It seems like a lot of companies have forgotten that...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You definitely can't do it all by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You definitely gave me something new to think about. This post was definitely very informative and helpful to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find your posts very informative and enlightening...thanks for all you are doing for the A to Z challenge and the writing community!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree. Marketing and history does go hand and hand. I learned this when I was in tech school for marketing management but it's always good to have a reminder :)

    http://kdstormclutteredmind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keeping it short, Lee, b/c I'm about to visit Hilary. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. History, any history is created by the dynamics of human interactions. It's so odd that we often do stop listening to those whose attention we're trying to attract.
    Listening not hearing is so key to understanding history - yours, mine, and ours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This worries me a little. I lack organizational skills. I totally want to do everything right, and I know you're right--tracking it all to figure out what works is key. But then you have to KEEP track!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We need to keep in mind what got us to where we are in the first place.

    I like that you and Alex are featuring other bloggers during the A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It really is all about the character of the brand...that's where the passion comes from!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great point. Sometimes it's difficult to tell what worked and what didn't?

    ReplyDelete
  23. History helps us see what was successful and not. However, sometimes the things that didn't work before could if revamped.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a wonderful post, Arlee. History is important for so many reasons, not the least of which is because it creates overall perceptions. You know what they say about people remembering the bad...history matters, and you've shared some very thoughtful advice about it. Thank you! M. J.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Arlee, this is sooo funny! I posted on HISTORY today too, and it couldn't be more remote from your spin on History. That's exactly what makes this blogfest so awesome! Cheers, Catherine over at Catherine Stine's Idea City

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think I need someone in percussion. My violin isn't making the music I want. Great metaphor, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pretty interesting post. I never connected history and marketing before.

    ReplyDelete
  28. they say you learn more from your mistakes than your successes--great post

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have learned so much this week and I could now add another important lesson to this brain of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. If we fail to know our history, be it in life or writing, we tend to make the same mistakes. Loved the quote!
    dreamweaver

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like wise marketing advice to me!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So interesting! I see the interrelationship between history and the "story of my business" and "the story of my clients in my business"... and so on.

    Great post - such useful (and well told) information.

    I appreciate your words!

    Julie Jordan Scott
    Fellow A to Z Challenge Participant
    H is for Hilda/HD
    On a Mission to Spread Word-Love Throughout the World

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lee, history is the cornerstone of a successful business. Whether it is data crunching trends, demographic tendencies, or psychological rewards...the history of a business is critical to more the pile forward. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey Lee,
    As per usual, another highly informative posting and thanks for that.
    Nice to see you mention one of my adoring fans, Hilary, who is, of course, doing a theme on castles.
    And my esteemed colleague, History has been made as I leave you one of my much loved, eagerly sought after, comments.
    Continued fun with bringing further awareness of the alphabet.
    And now I shall return to my shy, humble and oh so unassuming blog.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Lee, that was a helpful post. I'll be bearing history in mind as I move forward with my business ventures!

    This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
  36. Not sure if my last comment went through. Interesting post- thx!
    Leigh @ www.oneandoneequalstwinfun.com
    #893 of A to Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
  37. I loved that analogy of you conducting the orchestra. You're so right that one person can't play all the instruments. I played a mean clarinet, but a one-woman band isn't as exciting, or successful as a full orchestra. Good advice here, Lee.
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-Host of the April A to Z Challenge
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  38. I've always been a huge fan of that quote. Great advice here.

    http://sheenahfreitas.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great, great comments. Sorry, but I was away from this morning until this evening and don't have time to respond to all of your comments individually, but I won't go into that history. However, I do appreciate the supportive nature of the things all of you have said here.
    A huge thank you!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Arlee! Interesting post. I'm a follower of Hilary's blog. I enjoy her history lessons about parts of the world that I'll never be able to visit in person. Have a great day!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  41. One thing I've yet to do is assess my best and worst performances on my blog, and figure out a ways to enhance my strengths. It'll take a bit of time and some reflection, but it'll be worth it.


    Jamie
    Fellow A-Z Bloggy Buddy
    Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee